Gear Talk > Reviews

Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures

<< < (15/36) > >>

TWI by Dustin Abbott:
I just traveled to Virginia/DC over March break with a Tamron 24-70VC and a Canon 70-300L.  It is the best travel combination that I have used to date - a lot of creative options there.

Here's a shot of the condo building we were staying in from the Tamron:

A Slice of Virginia by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

RustyTheGeek:
Thank you for sharing!

Nice place!  Great colors!  While I enjoy viewing this image and I think you did a great job capturing it, I can't help thinking that wide tight aperture landscape shots like this don't necc show the best qualities of the lens.  As much as I like the image, don't you think that it would look pretty much the same with most other decent quality lenses?  (24-105L comes to mind.)

Educate me about how this lens made the image better.  Was it the low light of that time of day that would have otherwise come out way too dark (hence blurry) without this lens?  Is it the color rendition or the more controlled CA that another lens can't match?  The VC?

Please understand that I'm not trying to insult your post, quite the opposite.  I'm interested in what challenges you faced in taking the picture and how the lens helped you overcome them.  In short, how would having the 6D + this lens help me  to get a picture similar to this when faced with a similar situation?

RustyTheGeek:
Oh, and did you do a lot of tourist stuff in DC?  I'm thinking the Tamron 24-70 worked great in the Library of Congress, Smithsonian, etc.

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: RustyTheGeek on March 19, 2013, 09:55:07 AM ---Thank you for sharing!

Nice place!  Great colors!  While I enjoy viewing this image and I think you did a great job capturing it, I can't help thinking that wide tight aperture landscape shots like this don't necc show the best qualities of the lens.  As much as I like the image, don't you think that it would look pretty much the same with most other decent quality lenses?  (24-105L comes to mind.)

Educate me about how this lens made the image better.  Was it the low light of that time of day that would have otherwise come out way too dark (hence blurry) without this lens?  Is it the color rendition or the more controlled CA that another lens can't match?  The VC?

Please understand that I'm not trying to insult your post, quite the opposite.  I'm interested in what challenges you faced in taking the picture and how the lens helped you overcome them.  In short, how would having the 6D + this lens help me  to get a picture similar to this when faced with a similar situation?

--- End quote ---

That's a valid point.  As far as a shot like this, the Tamron has a couple of advantages over the 24-105L.  First, it has a bit wider angle of view (if the Canon is a true 24mm, then the Tamron is at least 23mm).  Secondly, it has considerably less distortion, which means that either you have less distortion uncorrected or retain more of your image after correction.  The lens is also sharper.  Finally, I do like the color rendering from the Tamron better.

Of course, the big advantage of the Tamron comes either in low light situations (this link has an image I took in the DC Metro handheld at .8 seconds!) http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/03/metro-arrival/ or when you want shallow depth of field.  I really love the lens for that type of shot because I find the transition from focus to ooF very smooth with the Tamron.  I often will pack a prime with me for this types of shots, and I didn't miss not having one with me at all on this trip.

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: RustyTheGeek on March 19, 2013, 09:56:13 AM ---Oh, and did you do a lot of tourist stuff in DC?  I'm thinking the Tamron 24-70 worked great in the Library of Congress, Smithsonian, etc.

--- End quote ---

One big advantage in those types of settings is that because of the wider aperture and great stability, I can more easily use a circular polarizer to minimize glare and reflection off glass.  I loved my 24-105L for this type of work, but I can honestly say that I have not missed it since selling it a few months after purchasing the Tamron.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version