Gear Talk > Reviews

Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures

<< < (19/36) > >>

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: pdirestajr on May 07, 2013, 10:45:42 AM ---@ Dustin Abbott, so I take it you like this lens and highly recommend it :)

Really impressive photos overall and you make a seriously strong case for this lens. Tamron should sponsor you ;)

--- End quote ---

I would like that :)  And yes, I do like the lens a lot.  I don't hang onto lenses that I am not crazy about or don't get used enough.  I like trying new lenses and have owned quite a few.  The Tamron has been a consistent winner in the various situations I have put it in, so I am very pleased with it.  It is currently the only non-Canon modern lens in my bag, and one of the few non-L series lenses I own.

TWI by Dustin Abbott:
Hard to not love the lens when it produces images like this  8)

My Heart Belongs to Just One by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

smithy:

--- Quote from: TWI by Dustin Abbott on May 11, 2013, 09:34:53 AM ---Hard to not love the lens when it produces images like this  8)

--- End quote ---
I think you give the lens too much credit here.  You clearly have photographic and post-processing talent (don't let it go to your head), so I'm sure you could've achieved the same thing with a different lens.  :)

IMHO, compositionally the top of this image is distracting - I can't stop looking at the leaves at the top.   I'd suggest that you consider a landscape crop of the lower section containing the flowers.  (Sorry I spend far too much time critiquing photos).

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: smithy on May 11, 2013, 08:36:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: TWI by Dustin Abbott on May 11, 2013, 09:34:53 AM ---Hard to not love the lens when it produces images like this  8)

--- End quote ---
I think you give the lens too much credit here.  You clearly have photographic and post-processing talent (don't let it go to your head), so I'm sure you could've achieved the same thing with a different lens.  :)

IMHO, compositionally the top of this image is distracting - I can't stop looking at the leaves at the top.   I'd suggest that you consider a landscape crop of the lower section containing the flowers.  (Sorry I spend far too much time critiquing photos).

--- End quote ---

I know what you are saying from a technical standpoint (and you are right), but the extra degree of in focus area including the leaves and the great color on them is part of what I personally like.  I like the narrow DOF, but within the larger context of the plant itself.  If I had wanted a more traditional macro I could have cropped in (there is plenty of detail there for a tight crop) ...and that credit does go to the lens 8), but in this case I was looking for a more contextual photo.

BTW, thanks for the nice compliment.  It's true - I don't think that equipment makes a photographer.  That being said - I have used lots of lenses and I do think that this one is pretty special.

TWI by Dustin Abbott:
Is it just me, or is that some nice bokeh?

Light and Airy by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version