April 20, 2014, 01:09:02 PM

Author Topic: Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures  (Read 48835 times)

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
Re: Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
The original of this one has a fabulous amount of detail for being a handheld pano under the circumstance.  I zoomed in a bit (33mm) to reduce distortion for merging.

Gotham by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »
I zoomed in a bit (33mm) to reduce distortion for merging.

Great shot!

Is the distortion a problem in your experience? Afaik the panorama software like Autopano should be able to adjust for this, and if not you can first correct the distortion in ACR/DxO? But I'm happy to stand corrected, I've not been shooting a lot of panoramas, and considering the resolution you end up with exporting @~50% is more than enough and conceals tiny merging errors.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
I zoomed in a bit (33mm) to reduce distortion for merging.

Great shot!

Is the distortion a problem in your experience? Afaik the panorama software like Autopano should be able to adjust for this, and if not you can first correct the distortion in ACR/DxO? But I'm happy to stand corrected, I've not been shooting a lot of panoramas, and considering the resolution you end up with exporting @~50% is more than enough and conceals tiny merging errors.

Photo merge works fine, but with most zooms zooming in a bit allows you to get a cleaner finished product that doesn't have the distortion at the outer edges.  Because you are blending images, you get plenty of width anyway, so you don' need your widest focal length.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »
For those who wonder - this is still my most used lens.  It is good in almost every setting.

From Good to Great by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:39:51 AM by TWI by Dustin Abbott »

Jim O

• Rebel T5i
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
I am curious if anyone has noticed problems with peripheral AF points on the 5D3 and this lens like those mentioned at http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42545234?

Sorry if this has been asked previously.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:08:17 PM by Jim O »
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

Jim O

• Rebel T5i
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
I am curious if anyone has noticed problems with peripheral AF points on the 5D3 and this lens like those mentioned at http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42545234?

Seeing no one jumping up and down I decided to test the lens. Sadly, my results are consistent with the above link.

I tested the lens on a brick wall and on some more challenging subjects as well, using aperture priority and three focal lengths: 24mm, 50mm, and 70mm. All shots were made on a tripod using a two second delay. I only tested at f/2.8. Since I was comparing only f/2.8 shots I believe it is a fair comparison. If I want to use an f/4 lens I have the 24-105. I took multiple images (at least three) of each test shot, except the center point shots where I generally only took two.

The results were consistent at the three focal lengths I tested. Using the center AF point of the 5D3 the shots are nice and sharp. They are sharp over the peripheral AF spots as well. Using a peripheral AF point the image is soft throughout. These are sample screenshots of the RAW image at 70mm in DPP at 100% showing the selected AF point.
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »

Seeing no one jumping up and down I decided to test the lens. Sadly, my results are consistent with the above link.

I tested the lens on a brick wall and on some more challenging subjects as well, using aperture priority and three focal lengths: 24mm, 50mm, and 70mm. All shots were made on a tripod using a two second delay. I only tested at f/2.8. Since I was comparing only f/2.8 shots I believe it is a fair comparison. If I want to use an f/4 lens I have the 24-105. I took multiple images (at least three) of each test shot, except the center point shots where I generally only took two.

The results were consistent at the three focal lengths I tested. Using the center AF point of the 5D3 the shots are nice and sharp. They are sharp over the peripheral AF spots as well. Using a peripheral AF point the image is soft throughout. These are sample screenshots of the RAW image at 70mm in DPP at 100% showing the selected AF point.

I would send it into Tamron.  Their customer service is excellent and they will fix this for you.

candyman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »

I would send it into Tamron.  Their customer service is excellent and they will fix this for you.

+1 for the service

5DIII  |  6D  |  16-35LII  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  135L  |  1.4exIII  |  GPS-E2

Jim O

• Rebel T5i
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2013, 01:45:35 PM »

+1 for the service

All well and good but this seems to be an inherent problem with this lens and this body (at least) that has been seen frequently enough and not addressed by Tamron with a firmware upgrade. I saw one review where the person sent it in three times, and finally the peripheral points were "close" but the center point was now off. I saw multiple other reports of multiple trips to so-called "excellent" Tamron service. Read through the entire thread that I linked. I know this lens has a six year warranty but...

Anyway, before I send it back for a refund I am going to test a bit with just the cross-type sensors enabled. Perhaps I can live with those results. I am impressed with the lens... when it focuses properly.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »

+1 for the service

All well and good but this seems to be an inherent problem with this lens and this body (at least) that has been seen frequently enough and not addressed by Tamron with a firmware upgrade. I saw one review where the person sent it in three times, and finally the peripheral points were "close" but the center point was now off. I saw multiple other reports of multiple trips to so-called "excellent" Tamron service. Read through the entire thread that I linked. I know this lens has a six year warranty but...

Anyway, before I send it back for a refund I am going to test a bit with just the cross-type sensors enabled. Perhaps I can live with those results. I am impressed with the lens... when it focuses properly.

Jim, as a reviewer, let me tell you this:  reviews are great for helping us make informed decisions, but the downside of reviews is that they can create either discontent or paranoia in us that wouldn't otherwise be there.  Just because some other person had a bad experience (which they may or may not have exaggerated) doesn't mean that you will.  I experienced the problem with this lens that it was causing battery drain on my 6D bodies even when the camera was off.  Instead of griping about this excellent lens, I called Tamron, sent the lens in, and got it back a week later with the problem solved.

I obviously can't guarantee that you that your problem will be fixed as easily, but I have a fair degree of confidence that it is more likely to work than talking about it on an internet forum  ;)

Jim O

• Rebel T5i
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2013, 03:33:09 PM »
Jim, as a reviewer, let me tell you this:  reviews are great for helping us make informed decisions, but the downside of reviews is that they can create either discontent or paranoia in us that wouldn't otherwise be there.  Just because some other person had a bad experience (which they may or may not have exaggerated) doesn't mean that you will.  I experienced the problem with this lens that it was causing battery drain on my 6D bodies even when the camera was off.  Instead of griping about this excellent lens, I called Tamron, sent the lens in, and got it back a week later with the problem solved.

I obviously can't guarantee that you that your problem will be fixed as easily, but I have a fair degree of confidence that it is more likely to work than talking about it on an internet forum  ;)

I agree that actions are better than words. ;)

Please do not take this the wrong way as you do seem to be a person of great integrity, but you have a contractual arrangement with Tamron of Canada according to http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16108.msg307475#msg307475, the terms of which are not made known (nor do I necessarily think they should be). I am certainly not suggesting that you are biased in your equipment review, especially in light of the fact that you bought this lens seemingly prior to this contract being signed, but you can't be considered completely impartial either. I think this is a fair assessment and again, I hope you are not offended.

I did more tests using the central point as a control and the outer rows of cross-type AF points for testing. Same wall, tripod, settings. All at f/2.8. Farther distance. Different time of day so different lighting.

The middle AF points in each outer column of cross-type AF points were tested. Multiple shots of each were taken. The attached are "typical.

Interestingly, the left side is close to the center in sharpness, while the right was consistently off. Neither was as bad as the outermost points.

I will give Tamron service a shot. I'll call tomorrow and arrange it.

More to follow...

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »

I agree that actions are better than words. ;)

Please do not take this the wrong way as you do seem to be a person of great integrity, but you have a contractual arrangement with Tamron of Canada according to http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16108.msg307475#msg307475, the terms of which are not made known (nor do I necessarily think they should be). I am certainly not suggesting that you are biased in your equipment review, especially in light of the fact that you bought this lens seemingly prior to this contract being signed, but you can't be considered completely impartial either. I think this is a fair assessment and again, I hope you are not offended.

I did more tests using the central point as a control and the outer rows of cross-type AF points for testing. Same wall, tripod, settings. All at f/2.8. Farther distance. Different time of day so different lighting.

The middle AF points in each outer column of cross-type AF points were tested. Multiple shots of each were taken. The attached are "typical.

Interestingly, the left side is close to the center in sharpness, while the right was consistently off. Neither was as bad as the outermost points.

I will give Tamron service a shot. I'll call tomorrow and arrange it.

More to follow...

Your point is well taken.  I can safely say in this, however, that I am using a retail copy of the lens that I did purchase myself.  This is not a perfect lens, and Tamron is not a perfect company, but I also use this lens more than any other in my fairly extensive kit.  I'm glad you are going to try the service option, particularly if you like the lens overall.  I'd be interested in hearing how your service experience went.

I guess my point above was that both reviews and, in particular, internet forums, love to have something to complain about.  It rarely accomplishes anything, though, and I would say that from your signature you probably agree.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
Thanks to your excellent reviews and images Dustin, I will be changing in my 24-70 mkI for this lens. The mk1 is terrible in comparison to the mkII and I've heard the Tamron is optically nearly as good.
We already keep one mkII so it would seem stupid to spend double on upgrading what is essentially a backup lens.

Jim O

• Rebel T5i
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
Your point is well taken.  I can safely say in this, however, that I am using a retail copy of the lens that I did purchase myself.  This is not a perfect lens, and Tamron is not a perfect company, but I also use this lens more than any other in my fairly extensive kit.  I'm glad you are going to try the service option, particularly if you like the lens overall.  I'd be interested in hearing how your service experience went.

I understand that and even pointed it out. I will of course be following up on this.

I guess my point above was that both reviews and, in particular, internet forums, love to have something to complain about.  It rarely accomplishes anything, though, and I would say that from your signature you probably agree.

Hahaha. Seriously, my best laugh of the day. It's a variation of what Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain said:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Here's another corruption/variation of it that I like:

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »