December 18, 2017, 05:39:27 PM

Author Topic: Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures  (Read 113762 times)

verysimplejason

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »
I agree with most, excellent review.

And I'm a Fan of your Photography, what your able to pull out of the 6D is in many respects quite amazing, your an accomplished Photographer.

But, considering the articles/threads started by yourself regards the Tamron Lens versus the Canon Lens, it might in future be relevant to start by stating that you do have a Tamron interest, as you pointed to in this post.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16108.msg307475#msg307475

I mention this due mainly to the thread you started regards "is the Canon 24-70f2.8 L II worth the extra Money", this thread went up only a few days after you mentioned the above interest/contract with Tamron.

I feel it's relevant because I think it makes a difference to how Readers appreciate the review/comments made when it's known that the reviewer does have an arrangement with the manufacturer of the equipment being reviewed.

It doesn't in any way invalidate your review or comments, but it does allow readers to put things more into perspective, I do hope you take this Positively, as mentioned, I liked and appreciate this review & your Photography.

I think Dustin got the contract from a magazine in conjunction with Tamron after he published the results.  The thing is, he didn't make any contact with Tamron at least by default, not until he had already published his review.  We can safely say he isn't biased during the release but technically may have been afterwards.  Right?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

Jim O

• EOS M5
  • Driving the short bus
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2013, 12:20:44 AM »
I agree with most, excellent review.

And I'm a Fan of your Photography, what your able to pull out of the 6D is in many respects quite amazing, your an accomplished Photographer.

But, considering the articles/threads started by yourself regards the Tamron Lens versus the Canon Lens, it might in future be relevant to start by stating that you do have a Tamron interest, as you pointed to in this post.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16108.msg307475#msg307475

I mention this due mainly to the thread you started regards "is the Canon 24-70f2.8 L II worth the extra Money", this thread went up only a few days after you mentioned the above interest/contract with Tamron.

I feel it's relevant because I think it makes a difference to how Readers appreciate the review/comments made when it's known that the reviewer does have an arrangement with the manufacturer of the equipment being reviewed.

It doesn't in any way invalidate your review or comments, but it does allow readers to put things more into perspective, I do hope you take this Positively, as mentioned, I liked and appreciate this review & your Photography.

I think Dustin got the contract from a magazine in conjunction with Tamron after he published the results.  The thing is, he didn't make any contact with Tamron at least by default, not until he had already published his review.  We can safely say he isn't biased during the release but technically may have been afterwards.  Right?

I apologize to you Dustin if I've opened a can of worms. I believe that your integrity is untarnished but full disclosure is always warranted.

It seemed to me that the contract came after reviews of two zooms. Dustin likes Tamron lenses, Tamron likes his reviews and probably liked the images that he produces with their lenses, hence their "match".

Imagine your physician really believes a cholesterol lowering medicine is the best. He prescribes it a lot, and talks it up because of the great results he's seen. The pharma company that manufactures the drug notices and invites him to do a clinical study using his patients. All above board. Consent, openness, etc. Part of the grant for the study includes a small annual stipend for your physician. Now you come along with high cholesterol unresponsive to diet, exercise, weight loss, etc, and your doctor, who really believes in this medicine, recommends you start taking it, but does tell you about alternatives. He also discloses to you that he has a financial arrangement to do this clinical study. Isn't that ok? After all, he prescribed this drug extensively before he had the arrangement. If I trusted my doctor, I'd go with what he recommends.

Dustin uses his full, real name here, unlike most users, myself included. He's not going to tarnish that over this arrangement. It can't be worth that much.

When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2013, 04:21:44 AM »

I apologize to you Dustin if I've opened a can of worms. I believe that your integrity is untarnished but full disclosure is always warranted.

I dont think you have Jim O, I think the comments made about "full disclosure" by myself, yourself & others have been all meant in a positive & helpful manner, my comments were meant to assist after reading some of the negative comments made to Justin re his Thread on the "is the Canon 24-70f/2.8 L II worth the extra Money", I felt he had been poorly dealt with by some of the Posters. I was simply offering some advice, Positive advise, it can be taken as such, or simply ignored, as long as it's offered in a clearly positive manner.

And it's not difficult to work out my own full name, it's on most Images I've Posted here at CR.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the nice feedback.  For those of you who are interested, here is the order of events regarding my "integrity and Tamron"  8)

1) This review was published after I purchased a retail copy of the lens.  As I disclosed in the review, I actually returned my first copy of the lens because I felt the VC wasn't within spec.  It was replaced with the copy that I currently own and love.

2) I approached Tamron about doing a review of the 70-200 VC lens.  They loaned me a retail copy of the lens to review, but stressed that they wanted my unbiased opinion.  The link to my review is on the Tamron Canada website, but if you read that review, you will find that I am as transparent about its flaws as I am about its strengths.

3) I have now entered into a contractual relationship as a blogger with a photo magazine in Canada that is, I believe, sponsored by Tamron and is somehow connected with this website as well.  I have complete liberty about what I write about and how I write it, but they do supply me gear and I am compensated for my articles.  I will continue to write in as unbiased a way as possible...but there is that.

4)  I am certainly not biased against Canon.  One of my images has been used in advertising for the 6D and I was nicely compensated for that, but it again was after my article on why I chose the 6D over the 5DIII and not even chosen for that.  I'm not sure that Canon is even aware of that article.

I was actually very surprised over the ire I received on that other thread that a couple of you referenced.  But, it is an internet forum, not a professional environment...

All of this doesn't stop me from loving a lens that produces clarity like this...

The Ghosts of Parliament Hill by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• dustinabbott.net
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2013, 08:42:33 AM »
Thanks to your excellent reviews and images Dustin, I will be changing in my 24-70 mkI for this lens. The mk1 is terrible in comparison to the mkII and I've heard the Tamron is optically nearly as good.
We already keep one mkII so it would seem stupid to spend double on upgrading what is essentially a backup lens.

Thanks for the nice feedback.  I would agree that under your set of circumstances that the Tamron should be plenty, and you will also have the opportunity to use the Tamron when/if you need the VC in certain situations.  Sounds like the best of both worlds, to me.  I would be interested in hearing your opinions when you can compare both side by side.
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

Jim O

• EOS M5
  • Driving the short bus
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
Just a follow up on my situation. Before I arranged to ship the lens back to Tamron I re-tested the body with another lens, just to make certain that it wasn't the camera.

I used my 85/1.8 at 2.8 on the same brick wall from a slightly greater distance. Not surprisingly, all focus points worked well and produced nice sharp images. So clearly it is the lens, not the camera.

I can post screenshots of the RAW files if anyone wants to see.

My lens is in the hands of UPS and should be at Tamron USA in two days. They have a three business day turnaround so I should know more by the beginning of next week.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:23:32 PM by Jim O »
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• dustinabbott.net
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »
Just a follow up on my situation. Before I arranged to ship the lens back to Tamron I re-tested the body with another lens, just to make certain that it wasn't the camera.

I used my 85/1.8 at 2.8 on the same brick wall from a slightly greater distance. Not surprisingly, all focus points worked well and produced nice sharp images. So clearly it is the lens, not the camera.

I can post screenshots of the RAW files if anyone wants to see.

My lens is in the hands of UPS and should be at Tamron USA in two days. They have a three business day turnaround so I should know more by the beginning of next week.

Just out of curiosity - did you actually have a dialogue with Tamron about the lens?  I'm curious if they acknowledged your experience as a wider spread problem.  Secondly, do you know your original serial number?  I'm interested to know if they fix your lens (probably with an updated circuit board) or replace it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »

Ewinter

• EOS M5
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
Thanks to your excellent reviews and images Dustin, I will be changing in my 24-70 mkI for this lens. The mk1 is terrible in comparison to the mkII and I've heard the Tamron is optically nearly as good.
We already keep one mkII so it would seem stupid to spend double on upgrading what is essentially a backup lens.

Thanks for the nice feedback.  I would agree that under your set of circumstances that the Tamron should be plenty, and you will also have the opportunity to use the Tamron when/if you need the VC in certain situations.  Sounds like the best of both worlds, to me.  I would be interested in hearing your opinions when you can compare both side by side.
I would love to let you know. I don't get to use the mkII that much (the mk1 is my daily carry, which is why I want to get an upgrade) but I can get them side by side.  I believe the Tamron is the best lens for ME in this situation- the company MKII is great but I'm happier with the Tamron (as long as the focus speed isn't slow. I doubt it is, it wasn't when I used one on the Nikons)
I'm also lucky to get the chance to compare it on the 1DX and the 5dIII- I'll post my findings.
I was on the fence, but after seeing your images I have no qualms. I find the mkI focuses very quickly but is so mediocre in resolution I hate it. And it's so large.
Anyway, enough rambling
-Elliot

Jim O

• EOS M5
  • Driving the short bus
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »
Just out of curiosity - did you actually have a dialogue with Tamron about the lens?  I'm curious if they acknowledged your experience as a wider spread problem.  Secondly, do you know your original serial number?  I'm interested to know if they fix your lens (probably with an updated circuit board) or replace it.

I did call and I spoke with someone in their service department. He did not offer that type of information but neither did I specifically request it. He did seem confident that the issue could be resolved with repair or replacement.

The lens serial # is 038xxx. I can provide the exact serial number to you privately if you wish.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• dustinabbott.net
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »

I did call and I spoke with someone in their service department. He did not offer that type of information but neither did I specifically request it. He did seem confident that the issue could be resolved with repair or replacement.

The lens serial # is 038xxx. I can provide the exact serial number to you privately if you wish.

Jim, I don't need the serial number, but I'm glad you know it so you can tell if you get your lens back or a replacement.

Jim O

• EOS M5
  • Driving the short bus
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »
Oh. The serial number is on the invoice and the warranty card so I will know.

The lens was received by Tamron this morning. Waiting to hear...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »

I wonder if it is, in fact, an issue with the lens itself.  Several other Tamron lenses do not work properly with the outer AF points on the 7D, 40D, 50D, and 60D - the off-center AF points don't function as cross type points.

Turned out that wasn't an issue with Tamron per se, but rather with the fact that 3rd party lenses must be 'reverse engineered' to work with the Canon AF system, and in this case Tamron took the expedient route of 'borrowing' the Lens ID codes of some old Canon lenses.  When Canon stopped supporting those old lenses in their firmware, current Tamron lenses ran into trouble.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-officially-acknowledges-lensid-issue/

I wonder if something similar is occurring here?
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Jim O

• EOS M5
  • Driving the short bus
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »

I wonder if it is, in fact, an issue with the lens itself.  Several other Tamron lenses do not work properly with the outer AF points on the 7D, 40D, 50D, and 60D - the off-center AF points don't function as cross type points.

Turned out that wasn't an issue with Tamron per se, but rather with the fact that 3rd party lenses must be 'reverse engineered' to work with the Canon AF system, and in this case Tamron took the expedient route of 'borrowing' the Lens ID codes of some old Canon lenses.  When Canon stopped supporting those old lenses in their firmware, current Tamron lenses ran into trouble.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-officially-acknowledges-lensid-issue/

I wonder if something similar is occurring here?

It sounds like the issue there is that the vertical and horizontal portions function separately in that scenario.

Using Google translate on http://www.canon.de/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_7D.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:83-822402&page=1&type=faq:

When using one of the eight listed below zoom lenses that have been placed on the market between 1990 and 1995, with one of the listed cameras, the AF points function in the edge region is not as cross AF points, resulting in vertical and horizontal lines leads that are not recognized at the same time. Vertical and horizontal lines are only detected separately

The images in http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11251.msg311218#msg311218 are taken with the outer column of horizontal AF points so this is not exactly analogous.

According to LensRentals.com's analysis, which has looked at this issue, this lens should be in "Group C" in the following graphic (pretty much straight out of the manual):

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »

luciolepri

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Lucio Lepri - Director and script writer
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
I just ordered the Tamron 24-70/2,8 VC, I'd like to add a stabilized standard zoom to my equipment and I don't want an f/4. It took me a long time to decide, I read a lot of reviews claiming that the first copy they received was defective. Sometimes even the second and third one... I hope I'm gonna be lucky, but I'll definitely run all possible tests as soon as I'll have the lens in my hands and if something goes wrong I guess I'll wait for Canon to release a 24-70/2,8 IS, probably at a crazy price...

Jim O

• EOS M5
  • Driving the short bus
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
Makes sense.  Nice that Roger did that testing.

Good luck with your lens!

Thanks. I should have it back next week.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »