December 19, 2014, 02:23:22 AM

Author Topic: Asking for 5D III firmware improvements  (Read 7411 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Asking for 5D III firmware improvements
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »
Well there is an update coming in April, all they mentioned was clean HDMI but it's possible some of these issues will be addressed as well.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
Well they definitely have enough time to work out the bugs and work in the features thats for sure.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
Actually...I'll take spot linked metering...but I know that's reserved for 1D's, so :(

Afaik this is a hardware limitation, the 5d3 uses the 7d/6d metering, the 1dx has an entirely different version.

I own a 5D III and I'm very frustrated with some limitation that could be easily fixed with a firmware upgrade.

If it's something that differentiates the 5d3 from the 1dx than your chances of success are slim, unless Canon sees the need to give the 5d3 a boost beyond hdmi & f8. One example of braindead limitations would be the crippled min. shutter speed setting, the 6d also has it only up to 1/250s.

nwardrip

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
You can submit emails to Canon technical support with your requests and they will be read.  You will get a polite email saying your requests will be considered and/or forwarded to the appropriate people.  Here's to hoping they actually follow through with that...

5D Mark III email support:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii/form_display/support_by_kb_email

Generic support:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

I've asked for:
1) Illuminated focus points
2) f/8 AF (they have promised this now)
3) Old zoom functionality in addition to new (I still hate the slow wheel zoom, but love the instant zoom)
4) Allow "Flash sync speed in AV mode" in "My Menu"...5D2 and 7D have this
5) More minimum shutter speed options
6) EV with auto-ISO
7) Built-in intervalometer functionality
8) Clean HDMI out (they have promised this now)
9) 1080p 60fps
10) Better dynamic range in future sensors

Regarding AF point and exposure linking, I too really wish the feature was available on the 5D3.  I posted about this a few weeks ago, so I'll copy it again here.

On the 5D3, the density of the focus points versus the density of the metering grid does not match well, so I don't think that this is a likely 5D3 feature.  The 5D3 and 7D share the same 63-zone, 9x7 grid.  On the 7D (which has AF point-linked exposure), the focus points directly matched up with the exposure metering region, as can be seen in this graphic from the-digital-picture.com 7D review:

So AF-linked exposure was a no-brainer on the 7D.  Not so on the 5D3.  However, on the 1DX, the metering grid is now 4x more dense (252 zones or 18x14), plus it has the 100K pixel RGB metering sensor, so it can match up the regions and pixels closest to the AF point with much more precision.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:07:27 PM by nwardrip »

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
1. AF focus speed with Speedlites

Read about this issue before but have not used my Speedlite so far. Just gave it a try now... 5D3 + 16-35L Mk II + 430EX II.

I switched of the light and started to focus in complete darkness with single AF point. At 35mm instant lock at different distances between 0.5 and 4m even with the most outside point. At 16mm the outside point is far away from the assist beam light so of course this does not work. But still instant lock with the center point. As long as the AF point is within the area illuminated by the assist beam I have no problems getting a fast focus lock.

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »
1. AF focus speed with Speedlites

Read about this issue before but have not used my Speedlite so far. Just gave it a try now... 5D3 + 16-35L Mk II + 430EX II.

I switched of the light and started to focus in complete darkness with single AF point. At 35mm instant lock at different distances between 0.5 and 4m even with the most outside point. At 16mm the outside point is far away from the assist beam light so of course this does not work. But still instant lock with the center point. As long as the AF point is within the area illuminated by the assist beam I have no problems getting a fast focus lock.

+1  I dont see AF speed issue.  Now if you disable the IR focus assist beam on the flash and try to focus with the 5D3 in low light.  The AF will slow down but that happens with or without the flash and is a result of the camera using a different AF algorithm to get focus lock.  Doesn't seem to matter whether the flash is used or not.

DeckardSolo

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »
1.  Ability to choose Auto ISO when using Custom Control SET->ISO.  One approach would be press = auto iso, hold = choose iso (current functionality)

2.  Custom Control for one-touch HDR on/off.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »
Customization what differentiates camera bodies like (6d/5d3), so I guess Canon will be hesitant to add any except on the 5d3.

Fyi: Many key-(re)mappings and ideas for lv can be easily implemented through Magic Lantern, you might be better off asking there then hoping for Canon. Ml currently cannot control non-lv af, and thus fore example cannot re-implement afma on the 60d (thanks, Canon!).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:53 PM »
Don't forget Auto ISO in manual mode being able to exposure comp it like you normally could. So if you want to be 1/3 over no matter what the ISO chosen will adjust to make it possible. There really are many many things Canon could address with firmware to make this camera what it ought to be.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Zlatko

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:27 PM »
Don't forget Auto ISO in manual mode being able to exposure comp it like you normally could. So if you want to be 1/3 over no matter what the ISO chosen will adjust to make it possible. There really are many many things Canon could address with firmware to make this camera what it ought to be.
As far as I know, Canon has never offered exposure comp in manual mode on any EOS camera.  Nikon and Leica do it, but I'm not a fan of that feature.  I prefer manual to be pure manual, and exposure comp in manual goes against the idea of manual.  If you're working in manual, it's so easy to adjust exposure up or down anyway and never make a mistake.  As soon as you introduce the ability to exposure comp in manual, you introduce the chance of forgetting the exposure comp is on and screwing up all of your manual exposures.  I use Auto ISO quite a lot in Av mode and then exposure comp comes in quite handy, but I don't see the advantage of using Auto ISO in Manual mode even if it had exposure comp.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:39:57 PM by Zlatko »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »
but I don't see the advantage of using Auto ISO in Manual mode even if it had exposure comp.

I do: With a dynamic lighting scene you can pre-select your aperture (dof) and shutter speed (stop motion) while keeping the lowest possible noise level (= auto-iso). But with auto-iso you rely 100% on camera metering, and w/o expo-comp you cannot do anything about it even if you know that the camera has a tendency to over/underexpose or you know the scene is such the camera will get it wrong to one side.

Zlatko

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:31:55 AM »
but I don't see the advantage of using Auto ISO in Manual mode even if it had exposure comp.

I do: With a dynamic lighting scene you can pre-select your aperture (dof) and shutter speed (stop motion) while keeping the lowest possible noise level (= auto-iso). But with auto-iso you rely 100% on camera metering, and w/o expo-comp you cannot do anything about it even if you know that the camera has a tendency to over/underexpose or you know the scene is such the camera will get it wrong to one side.
OK, I can see using it in that way — when the light is changing and you want to keep a certain aperture and shutter speed.  You can almost achieve the same goal by using Av mode and a minimum shutter speed setting for Auto ISO, along with any exposure comp that's needed.  The only problem may be that the minimum shutter speed goes no higher than 1/250th, which is usually fine for me, but not fast enough for some sports and other action.  Perhaps Canon can add higher minimum shutter speed options to Auto ISO.  Ideally, exposure comp in Manual, if added by Canon, would be something you could enable or disable in a menu setting so people who like it the current way can keep it that way (and avoid accidental mis-setting).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:39:51 AM by Zlatko »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 02:43:08 AM »
You can almost achieve the same goal by using Av mode and a minimum shutter speed setting for Auto ISO, along with any exposure comp that's needed.  The only problem may be that the minimum shutter speed goes no higher than 1/250th, which is usually fine for me, but not fast enough for some sports and other action.  Perhaps Canon can add higher minimum shutter speed options to Auto ISO.

I know (and nearly wrote it myself), but Canon won't add it to the 6d/5d3 because faster shutter min speeds are a 1dx feature - which imho is ridiculously eclectic - and the feature is not available at all on other cameras like the 60d. And esp. on crop it really makes a difference retaining the lowest possible iso setting while having sufficient shutter speed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 02:43:08 AM »

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 06:14:35 AM »
The OP really need to start this thread over at the Canon forums and link back to this forum, I did that with the 5D3 focus assist beam problem and I got a reply from Canon

DeckardSolo

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »