December 18, 2014, 03:42:14 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 44217 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:18 AM »

Where will the EOS 7D fit?

Some mentions about who the EOS 7D Mark II is going to be marketed too. It’s suggested the camera will be “firmly” aimed at the nature and sports market. The 10fps feature we and others have been told about is a big part of the plan. The camera will also get some technologies from the EOS-1D X, like the AF system and noise performance. While it may not have 61 focus points, the performance could be on par.

A different megapixel count of 21mp has also been mentioned. There’s a good chance various configurations of test cameras exist.

Source: [NL]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:18 AM »

surfing_geek

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »
I get the feeling that this means it's going to be vastly more expensive than the 7D was at release!

PackLight

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
I could have made this rumor up. In fact I think I did when the 1D X was released.

StepBack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:35 AM »
I don't think Canon will let us nail the price. What would be the drama? Unless they want to make a lottery out of it. Guess the price within a penny and win a UV filter. I heard 1999 - 2099 and with say a 39-45 pt AF with one dual cross type and the rest of the makeup the same that would be right. Apparently they regard the sensor size as the symbol of excellence and not the dual DiGIC's. Were they to try to sell a top shelf APS-C and I'm dreaming here because no one knows what the suits in marketing drink at the median between the 6D and 5D III I think the stores would be sitting on inventory until Black Friday. I don't care what they say in the trades about the 5D3 sales I don't see much noise online so I'm guessing the push from the resellers is an indication they pegged the Mark III too high. I'll bet they don't learn anything either. How about a nice mirrorless with a full frame and a dozen light weight (under 8 oz.) lenses to choose from for say 1499 including a 24 F.2. People would grab that and never look back.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »
The more new Canon products that get released at stratospheric prices makes the release of the 40mm pancake all the more amazing.  I don't think that I have heard anyone say that it is overpriced, and they are clearly selling like hotcakes.  A few more products like that would help to engender a lot of good will for Canon.  Good value for the money:  what a novel concept!

I am not the intended market for the 7D MKII at all.  I run my 60D in high speed mode only when I am shooting bracketed photos handheld.  I just wish my 5DII had the same option.  I am more of a deliberate shooter.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »
It's not going to be aimed solely at sports and nature, it is going to be what it is today -  the flagship APS-C camera in the Canon lineup - only better - regardless of what you typically shoot.  The 60D is a really nice camera but it isn't a 7D nor was it ever intended to be.  I've beat the hell out of two 7Ds, one of which I got the month it was launched and they're tanks.  IMO, they're slightly more solid than the 5D2 build/sealing wise.

A 7D2 addressing the noise at higher ISOs is going to fly off the shelves.  The AF is fantastic on the current 7D, so even a marginal improvement on a 7D2 would be all gravy.  Of course it will be more money...at least for the first 8 months, just like every other camera that has been introduced.  I'm not in the market for another APS-C right now, so whether it's $1,600 or $2,600 doesn't really matter to me.  I AM in the market to replace a 5D2 that has been dropped one too many times, so will continue to watch the 5D3 pricing (though concerned about the repeatedly reported softness in the 5D3 video also experienced in the 6D).  Lots of new cameras in the market and competition is good, let the competition do what it will to pricing.  I just don't understand the trolls that complain every time a new version of anything (camera, lens, tripod) comes out with a price increase...especially the ones that aren't in the market anyway.  If you can't afford it, then buy a different camera; it's like complaining to Mercedes every time a new C class comes out with more features but a higher price... go buy a Honda or Toyota already, both great cars.  If your Nissan Altima only has 17,000 miles on it and it's just two years old, why are you looking at new car prices anyway?

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
f/8 AF, flexible video crop, 5D AF system, low read noise.  That would be perfect.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »
It's not going to be aimed solely at sports and nature, it is going to be what it is today -  the flagship APS-C camera in the Canon lineup - only better - regardless of what you typically shoot.  The 60D is a really nice camera but it isn't a 7D nor was it ever intended to be.
And the 60D will be going the way of the dodo according to the rumor

"The current 7D will continue for some time and surplant the 60D, when the 700D comes along with increased specifications."

Which means there is room for a higher level (and pricier) 7DII, costing a similar price as the 6D, but aiming at a different market. Then they'd have a nice sports/nature camera for $2k, a nice landscape/portrait camera for $2k, and a nice street/wedding/etc camera for $3k. And if you can't afford those, the 700D is <$1k, and the current 7D will probably drop a few hundred bucks and be in the $12-1300 range (which is where the 60D retails)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
It's not going to be aimed solely at sports and nature, it is going to be what it is today -  the flagship APS-C camera in the Canon lineup - only better - regardless of what you typically shoot. 

Yes. The 5DIII is optimized for wedding photographers, but that doesn't make it useless for others. I can see a 7DII optimized for sports and nature, but still a very good all-around camera.

This is shrewd marketing on the part of Canon and one reason why they continue to remain the industry leader. The D800 is a very nice camera, but it doesn't have a core constituency that must have it. The 5DIII on the other hand, is a must for wedding photographers because it gives them a competitive edge. That allows Canon a solid foundation of customers that they can build on. That doesn't make the 5DIII any less of a camera even if you never go near a wedding.

I can see a 7DII that becomes the must have camera for sports and nature shooters, but at 21mp with improvements in noise and dynamic range, it will be a great camera even if the only birds you are interested in come from Colonel Sanders.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
I wonder about the articulating screen?  I was personally disappointed when the MKIII did not employ it (I find it very handy on my 60D in many situations, not the least of which being low angle tripod shots).  It was that feature that tipped me towards the 60D instead of the 7D.  After using it for nearly two years, I still don't regret my decision.  Regarding the screen:  they have been employing it regularly on the Rebel series, but so far the 60D has been the only step-up model to employ it.

The 60D seemed to be an attempt to create a new market below the 7D but above the Rebel series, and from what I understand has actually sold very well and continues to be a very popular model.  The rumor that it is going to be ditched without a successor is curious to me, as it will leave Canon without a APS-C model essentially between $1000 and probably close to $2000 (other than continuing to offer the 7D MKI) and also remove a strong seller from Canon's lineup.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

PackLight

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »
There is  a reason this rumor can't be real.
It makes to much sense.

Who would have believed a year berfor the 1D X was announced that the 1Ds IV would not happen?

I did hear the rumor once that there would be no 1Ds IV but the rumor just didn't make sense. Why would Canon make an all in one camera?

When the 1D X was released, now a super charged 7D II makes sense for us wildlife photographers. But how many releases has Canon had in the past year or so that made sense.

I am hoping for a 7D II with the AF abilities of a1D Body and a supercharged sensor. Built to those supercharged specs $3 to $4 K would be the norm and I would buy one.

But, I wish I had won the lottery on Wednesday night to, and I think the odds are just as good. Maybe Canon will come through this time.

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
I'm thinking this could be $2499 body only.  Better AF, new sensor with lower noise, 10fps....doesn't sound cheap based on Canon's current pricing history.

-Brian

crasher8

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
Cue the APS-H posts

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »
The rumor that it is going to be ditched without a successor is curious to me, as it will leave Canon without a APS-C model essentially between $1000 and probably close to $2000 (other than continuing to offer the 7D MKI) and also remove a strong seller from Canon's lineup.
Makes sense to me. Canon lot a lot of sales that would have been 7D sales to the 60D, and since it has its own body style, AF system, etc, it's another line of manufacturing they have to keep open. To continue that legacy, they'd have to devote resources to either updating the 7D1 with a swivel screen, etc; or to putting the 7D AF and some features into the older 60D body. Both are more expensive than just continuing to manufacture the current 7D, drop the price a little, and still leave most of those 60D users happy. And if not, well, the T4i is basically what the 60D used to be and has the swivel screen.

I say this all as a 60D user who is happy with my purchase, but, I'd gladly trade the swivel screen for the weather-sealing, AFMA, and frame rate of the 7D at the same price as the 60D sold for

shadowsatnight

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:51:50 AM »
Noise performance similar to the 1D X, with more pixels.  That'd be impressive on a smaller sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:51:50 AM »