October 25, 2014, 03:56:13 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 42585 times)

DonHorne

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
My first thought is Canon is looking to plug the missing role the 1D series had with it's APS-H sensor giving sports & wildlife shooters that little extra reach. I wouldn't doubt that performance would be on par with the 1DX at lower ISO's since the 7DII will have newer technology just like when the 40D came out after the 5DC.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »
--The camera will also get some technologies from the EOS-1D X, like the AF system and noise performance. [/quote][/i][/b]

Is that even remotely possible?  Are they saying the same ISO performance, or does this just suggest there will be some improvement in ISO performance?  That would not just be a new sports body, that would be a revolution in Canon's (or anyone else's) crop sensors that would ripple out through the whole line.

I hope it does mean at least 1 full stop improvement.  Two would be utterly amazing.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
--The camera will also get some technologies from the EOS-1D X, like the AF system and noise performance.
Is that even remotely possible?

Sure, since it probably means the low read noise of the 1Dx compared to the other cameras Canon makes.

Zlatko

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
A 7D2 addressing the noise at higher ISOs is going to fly off the shelves.  The AF is fantastic on the current 7D, so even a marginal improvement on a 7D2 would be all gravy.  Of course it will be more money...at least for the first 8 months, just like every other camera that has been introduced.  I'm not in the market for another APS-C right now, so whether it's $1,600 or $2,600 doesn't really matter to me.  I AM in the market to replace a 5D2 that has been dropped one too many times, so will continue to watch the 5D3 pricing (though concerned about the repeatedly reported softness in the 5D3 video also experienced in the 6D).  Lots of new cameras in the market and competition is good, let the competition do what it will to pricing.  I just don't understand the trolls that complain every time a new version of anything (camera, lens, tripod) comes out with a price increase...especially the ones that aren't in the market anyway. 
This is a good point about price.  It seems that the prices of all electronics are on a slope over time.  They are introduced at higher price.  As time goes by, the price comes down.  When they are due for replacement, the price is at its lowest.  It's the same whether we are talking about cameras or televisions or computers.

So when the replacement product is introduced, its price is being compared to the price of the product that is being discontinued — a price that has been on a downward slope for several years.  Canon gets bashed for the price of the 5DIII, which has many upgrades over the 5DII.  At the same time, Canon gets no love for lowering the price of the 5DII to the cheapest it's ever been.  When we talk about Canon's "astronomical prices", we should consider that the 5DII was $2,700 and is now $1,800 brand new, or something like $1,400 refurb.  This is just part of the normal product cycle.  If people are astonished by the $2,100 price of the 6D, they can wait and probably buy it for $1,800 or even $1,500 as time goes by. 

Those who need to pre-order the 7DII, or buy it in the first 9 months, will no doubt pay the highest price.  But there is something rational about this too.  For those who need it most and soonest, the product has a higher value.  They are willing to pay more than those who need it less or later.  This is variable pricing, a way that manufacturer's charge different prices to different customers.  As the price falls, it meets different budgets and triggers different customers to buy.

surfing_geek

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »
I'm thinking this could be $2499 body only.  Better AF, new sensor with lower noise, 10fps....doesn't sound cheap based on Canon's current pricing history.

-Brian

i wouldn't object to this if it was offered at a proportionate price over here.  Unfortunately, if something's usually $2499, it doesn't usually translate to £1600.  Try closer to £2000!

I'm really hoping this doesn't crank the price up too much, rather deciding to keep it's position as a prosumer APS-C, affordable to the average consumer like me!  I've been hankering after something like this for ages, I really don't want to be out-priced!

surfing_geek

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
however, after a little research, i see the 7d was £1699 when first released, so the mkii isn't going to be less than that!

guess i'll just have to do that bit more overtime to buy it then!

seamonster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »
The tidal wave of used 7D bodies hitting the market will obliterate Rebel and 60D sales. I can get a well worn 7D for a hair under $1000 and a barely used one for a little bit more. Hate to think what would happen when that price drops down to compete with new T4i bodies
[5D Mk.III] [40mm f/2.8 STM] [85mm f/1.8 USM] [24-105mm f/4L IS USM] [70-200mm f/4L IS USM] [Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD] [600 EX-RT]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »

coreyhkh

• Canon AE-1
  • www.flickr.com/photos/corey-hayes/
    • View Profile
    • My wildlife photos
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »
If this is true I am drooling I almost got a use mkiv but have decided to wait and it looks like the mk2 will at least be as good as the mk4

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
The tidal wave of used 7D bodies hitting the market will obliterate Rebel and 60D sales. I can get a well worn 7D for a hair under $1000 and a barely used one for a little bit more. Hate to think what would happen when that price drops down to compete with new T4i bodies

I'm curious about this "tidal wave of used 7D bodies hitting the market." Where are they coming from? As of a few minutes ago, there were about 140 7Ds listed on eBay in categories other than new (used, refurbished, etc.)

That's a decent quantity, but it doesn't comes anywhere close to the new sales every day of the 60D, T4i, T3i, etc. Certainly not enough to skew the new market in any significant way. Most customers don't buy used and don't want to buy used, which is the reason you can buy a "well worn 7D for a hair under $1000." Plus, one shouldn't assume that the introduction of a 7DII will suddenly prompt all current 7D owners to sell their current bodies. I, for one, will be keeping mine.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
For sports I'm using a 1D4 and a 7D and if the new 7D2 is 10fps, 22mp and the same size body as the current 7D, then I'll say goodbye to both my 1D4 and the older 7D.  Both are great and I miss the reach of the APS-C when shooting with the 1D4. 
I acknowledge that I will miss the low light ISO performance that the 1D4 can provide but 99% of my sports activity is in natural light.
Bring it on Canon, let's see what you got to offer! ;D
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »
If I read the NI blurb correctly, the 7DII and 7D could both remain in productions for "some time" with the xxD series not being renewed.  If the price point of the 7D were to drop, this could make a lot of sense, but would also require something to significantly differentiate the 7DII and 7D. 

If the rumor is true, I am glad that they dropped the MP to 21 MP if the IQ wasn't good enough at 25 MP.  Honestly, the 18 MP I have with my current 7D is fine.  I mostly want better noise at low/high ISO and a slight increase in DR and IQ. 

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »
Improving the noise performance on this thing is much needed.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »

I'm curious about this "tidal wave of used 7D bodies hitting the market." Where are they coming from? As of a few minutes ago, there were about 140 7Ds listed on eBay in categories other than new (used, refurbished, etc.)

That's a decent quantity, but it doesn't comes anywhere close to the new sales every day of the 60D, T4i, T3i, etc. Certainly not enough to skew the new market in any significant way. Most customers don't buy used and don't want to buy used, which is the reason you can buy a "well worn 7D for a hair under $1000." Plus, one shouldn't assume that the introduction of a 7DII will suddenly prompt all current 7D owners to sell their current bodies. I, for one, will be keeping mine.

What can these people be thinking?

Did the introduction of the 5D3 send a tidal wave of 5D2 bodies to the used market? I don't watch it that closely, but I didn't feel the marketing earth move. What I saw were a lot of people who were rather stunned at the price of the 5D3 so they decided to keep using their serviceable and capable 5D2 equipment. Same thing is going to happen with the 7D2.

As I've been saying for a year or so the price of the 7D2 will be at or near $3K. That's going to stun most people into keeping their 7D.

And speaking of current prices relative to hair. A virtually new 7D body is now at the Canon refurb store for $1023. You can have a 60D body for $640. I can't imagine why someone would go into the jungle of the used 7D market with all its pitfalls when you can have a Canon-assured refurb for the same price -- or at least within a monkey hair of it!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
Pleasant enough, but I doubt it would pull me from my 7D. A big improvement in low ISO dynamic range and noise would do it.

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/

tiger82

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
I've been thinking of the used 1D4 market at $3K-3.5K to upgrade my 7D.  I'd like to get the 10fps up from my 7D's 8fps, better AF, and better noise levels even at the cost dropping the crop factor to 1.3x and from 18mp to 16.7mp.  If I can get 10fps, keep the 1.6x for sports, better AF, and 24mp to boot in the $2K range, then I'm in!!!!!  No need to adapt to a new shooting style because of the change in crop factor.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »