September 02, 2014, 04:09:37 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 40970 times)

rbr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:18 PM »
The only real way that Canon is going to plug the hole left by the APS-H sensors for the wildlife and bird photographers who have used the 1D series cameras exclusively for the past 10 years is with a 1D Mark5. Another 7D ain't going to cut it or get much interest, at least with Canon's current sensor technology.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:18 PM »

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »
Since canon reads MY personal responses. And really puts allot of weight behind my opinion.
I think the 7D-11 is a go.
Contact me by e-mail, for the final spec. approval Canon.    LOL

Even though BS i love this site. :) Keep up the good work guys.

Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »
The only real way that Canon is going to plug the hole left by the APS-H sensors for the wildlife and bird photographers who have used the 1D series cameras exclusively for the past 10 years is with a 1D Mark5. Another 7D ain't going to cut it or get much interest, at least with Canon's current sensor technology.
I love the 1d cameras, but the aps-h, was just weird, don't get me wrong, I love it, but it confused me.
Anybody with that money for a 1d, should have the money for a super telephoto.
With the 1dx, pros, get the quality from ff they deserve, and the higher fps, that means the will really need to put $$$ in for lenses. But a cheaper 7dii, will have similar features as the 1dx, ok iOS, ok fps, ok focus, just not as good, but they put an aps-c in there for those who love to shoot, but don't make lots of money off of it, or don't want to carry a super telephoto, or, if they're want to go really super-tele. Canon wants to reward the pros with good stuff, but keep the ameutures a step below, with the aps-h, there wasn't a great difference, and pros didn't get what the payed for, since there was a similar 7d gong for 1/4 the price

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
I love the 1d cameras, but the aps-h, was just weird, don't get me wrong, I love it, but it confused me.
Anybody with that money for a 1d, should have the money for a super telephoto.
With the 1dx, pros, get the quality from ff they deserve, and the higher fps, that means the will really need to put $$$ in for lenses. But a cheaper 7dii, will have similar features as the 1dx, ok iOS, ok fps, ok focus, just not as good, but they put an aps-c in there for those who love to shoot, but don't make lots of money off of it, or don't want to carry a super telephoto, or, if they're want to go really super-tele. Canon wants to reward the pros with good stuff, but keep the ameutures a step below, with the aps-h, there wasn't a great difference, and pros didn't get what the payed for, since there was a similar 7d gong for 1/4 the price

Do you mean the APS-H sensor in the 1D Mark IV?  If so, how was that a let down?  The IQ of the 1D Mark IV whips the crap out of the 7D IQ and yes there is a big difference.  The 7D is not similar.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 02:27:52 AM »
the 7D is a critical camera in the Canon lineup and I think these rumors are probably in line with what Canon has in mind.  The 7D has been the king of APS-C crop bodies for over 3 years now and I'm sure Canon is quite comfortable being in that position.

Canon doesn't have to do much in the way of upgrades here to have another hit.  It will most likely continue to have a dual digic configuration so 10fps is easily achievable.  I suspect 10fps is achievable in the current 7D but Canon had to keep the fastest burst rate for the flagship 1DIV, no such hurdle there now.  Canon seems to be bringing it's A game in af performance so I have no doubt the 7D will be stellar in that regard.  61af points would literally cover the entire screen so I'm thinking 45 af points.  Throw in a few extras like f8 af, even better weather seals and possibly higher voltage batteries to really drive the big lenses and the king will easily keep his crown.

As far as the sensor, I'm fine with the 18MP I have today but an increase in resolution is pretty much inevitable.  If Canon really does have new sensor tech, the 7DII will most certainly get it, I'm sure Canon is just as tired of hearing the word EXMOR as many of us are.

The Nikon D400 or whatever it will be called will most certainly be sporting the latest jesus sensor from Sony.  Honestly, I'm expecting greatly improved noise handling, better high ISO performance and a modest increase in DR but if I were a betting man, Sony will remain the DR king, I'd love to be wrong on that.
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:25 AM »
If canon puts a 21-22 MP APS-H sensor with 8-10 fps on the new 7D2 .. i will buy one regardless of the price...

.... but i know this is near impossible.

jaballi

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »
with two digic 5+ processors, will it have  the same video capabilities as the 1dx (which compresses from an apsc crop)?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:46:24 AM by jaballi »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »
with two digic 5+ processors, will it have  the same video capabilities as the 1dx (which compresses from an apsc crop)?

Will it get two digic 5+ ? I am not sure. It may get two digic 5 or....will there be a digic 6?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »
Do you mean the APS-H sensor in the 1D Mark IV?  If so, how was that a let down?  The IQ of the 1D Mark IV whips the crap out of the 7D IQ and yes there is a big difference.  The 7D is not similar.

The difference is so big that images are impossible to tell apart through about ISO 800, and even at ISO 3200 the difference is less than a stop. Have someone explain to you what "whip the crap out of" and "big difference" mean, because that ain't it.

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »
If canon puts a 21-22 MP APS-H sensor with 8-10 fps on the new 7D2 .. i will buy one regardless of the price...

Ah yes, APS-H....

* Not enough extra reach to matter for telephoto.
* Not enough extra surface area to matter for high ISO.
* Just enough crop to kill FF UWA lenses, but not enough crop to use APS-C UWA lenses.

APS-H was an odd digital format and a necessary, but less than ideal and therefore temporary, compromise on Canon's part. It should rest in peace.

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »

Ah yes, APS-H....

* Not enough extra reach to matter for telephoto.
* Not enough extra surface area to matter for high ISO.
* Just enough crop to kill FF UWA lenses, but not enough crop to use APS-C UWA lenses.

APS-H was an odd digital format and a necessary, but less than ideal and therefore temporary, compromise on Canon's part. It should rest in peace.

is true what you say....BUT..........

I believe the APS-H sensor is the perfect combination between extra reach and low noise at high ISO. i still somehow believe is not dead yet. And not because the high performance of the sensor , because the marketing reasons.

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »

.... but i know this is near impossible.

APS-H is dead, deader than dead...get over it folks.  The hope/myth of a re-emergence of APS-H in a 7DII, 4D, 1D Mark V is hope-less.  It doesn't mean anything negative about the APS-H or the 1D Mark IV, it simply means the market has moved....and instead of APS-H, there are now "entry-level" (though I hate that phrase applied to FF) full-frame cameras now like the 6D and Nikon entries.  APS-H is six feet under.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »

The difference is so big that images are impossible to tell apart through about ISO 800, and even at ISO 3200 the difference is less than a stop. Have someone explain to you what "whip the crap out of" and "big difference" mean, because that ain't it.

Nope.  I owned both and having shot a lot of sports, you can actually CROP farther with the 1.3x APS-H sensor than the 1.6x APS-C sensor.  In other words, the 1D4 ended up with more effective reach if you needed to crop.  Equal photos taken with no cropping, I agree, up to 800 not much difference.  But when you need to crop and maintain quality, the 1D4 wins, even despite having less reach.  Cropping is not uncommon at all with serious sports shooters.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »

rbr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I believe the APS-H sensor is the perfect combination between extra reach and low noise at high ISO.

I agree. As for whether Canon will ever produce a professional model of the quality of the 1D4 and its predecessors again with that sensor, I am doubtful. Meanwhile I love my 2 1D4's and have no plans on replacing them any time soon.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »

You might want to be careful with that "regardless of the price" talk.

I'd bet Canon will do you a one-off for $50 million or so. Maybe less.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »