September 16, 2014, 11:38:00 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 41443 times)

Buyi

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
they will not trump the 5d3 so res is below 22, noise is terrible as usually with crop. is this camera for people that dont have a clue

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »
they will not trump the 5d3 so res is below 22, noise is terrible as usually with crop.

Agree about the resolution. I believe the 7DII will have 20mp.

Not sure about the noise, though.
As previous rumors suggested, the 7DII might indeed use newer sensor tech.
If that's the case, I'm expecting ISO performance on par with the 1DIV.

In general, all those recent 7DII rumors suggest a 1DIV ... at a 7D price.
Hmm, don't know about that.

Since wishlists and speculations are fun, here is what I think we can expect from the 7DII:

• Sensor: a better 20mp sensor with ISO on par with the 1DIV.
    Positive surprise: ISO is even better.

• Frame rate: remains the same at 8fps.
    Positive surprise: maybe 8.5fps or 9fps.

• AF system: same as on the 7D but a tad snappier.
    Positive surprise: more AF points (maybe 27 or 33; certainly not 61).

Overall, the 7DII will be a warmed-over 7D but with a better sensor and other minor improvements.
The 7DII will be like the 1DIV ... but only in image quality.

Other than that, it will remain a 7D: an excellent offering but not a 1D series.

There, you heard it here first  8).

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
they will not trump the 5d3 so res is below 22, noise is terrible as usually with crop.

Agree about the resolution. I believe the 7DII will have 20mp.

Not sure about the noise, though.
As previous rumors suggested, the 7DII might indeed use newer sensor tech.
If that's the case, I'm expecting ISO performance on par with the 1DIV.

In general, all those recent 7DII rumors suggest a 1DIV ... at a 7D price.
Hmm, don't know about that.

Since wishlists and speculations are fun, here is what I think we can expect from the 7DII:

• Sensor: a better 20mp sensor with ISO on par with the 1DIV.
    Positive surprise: ISO is even better.
  • Frame rate: remains the same at 8fps.
    Positive surprise: maybe 8.5fps or 9fps.
  • AF system: same as on the 7D but a tad snappier.
    Positive surprise: more AF points (maybe 27 or 33; certainly not 61).
Overall, the 7DII will be a warmed-over 7D but with a better sensor and other minor improvements.
The 7DII will be like the 1DIV ... but only in image quality.

Other than that, it will remain a 7D: an excellent offering but not a 1D series.

There, you heard it here first  8) .

One thing missing....what is your expected/suggested price for the 7D MKII?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »

$1699, same as the 7D at introduction.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »

;D  Good to see optimists here  :D
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
The tidal wave of used 7D bodies hitting the market will obliterate Rebel and 60D sales. I can get a well worn 7D for a hair under $1000 and a barely used one for a little bit more. Hate to think what would happen when that price drops down to compete with new T4i bodies

I'm curious about this "tidal wave of used 7D bodies hitting the market." Where are they coming from? As of a few minutes ago, there were about 140 7Ds listed on eBay in categories other than new (used, refurbished, etc.)

That's a decent quantity, but it doesn't comes anywhere close to the new sales every day of the 60D, T4i, T3i, etc. Certainly not enough to skew the new market in any significant way. Most customers don't buy used and don't want to buy used, which is the reason you can buy a "well worn 7D for a hair under $1000." Plus, one shouldn't assume that the introduction of a 7DII will suddenly prompt all current 7D owners to sell their current bodies. I, for one, will be keeping mine.

What can these people be thinking?

Did the introduction of the 5D3 send a tidal wave of 5D2 bodies to the used market? I don't watch it that closely, but I didn't feel the marketing earth move. What I saw were a lot of people who were rather stunned at the price of the 5D3 so they decided to keep using their serviceable and capable 5D2 equipment. Same thing is going to happen with the 7D2.

As I've been saying for a year or so the price of the 7D2 will be at or near $3K. That's going to stun most people into keeping their 7D.

And speaking of current prices relative to hair. A virtually new 7D body is now at the Canon refurb store for $1023. You can have a 60D body for $640. I can't imagine why someone would go into the jungle of the used 7D market with all its pitfalls when you can have a Canon-assured refurb for the same price -- or at least within a monkey hair of it!
I'd have to agree, tidal waves are usually more than ankle deep...  ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »

lmao!!!

this is Canon we're talking about here. :D
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=12107\"></g:plusone></div><div style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a href=\"https://twitter.com/share\" class=\"twitter-share-button\" data-count=\"vertical\" data-url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=12107\">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Where will the EOS 7D fit?<br />

</strong>Some mentions about who the EOS 7D Mark II is going to be marketed too. It’s suggested the camera will be “firmly” aimed at the nature and sports market. The 10fps feature we and others have been told about is a big part of the plan. The camera will also get some technologies from the EOS-1D X, like the AF system and noise performance. While it may not have 61 focus points, the performance could be on par.</p>
<p>A different megapixel count of 21mp has also been mentioned. There’s a good chance various configurations of test cameras exist.</p>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href=\"http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_7dmk2.html\" target=\"_blank\">NL</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

I think one will fit snugly in my gear bag... Yes, should definitely fit nicely!  ;D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
I find the articulating screen on the 60D very usefull and at one point I would have argued that any sucessor to the 7D should have one. My 60D has seen rugged use and no problems with the articulated screen and once you get used to it it is hard to imagine a camera without it.....

That said, times change and technology marches on. Wifi makes a smart phone into a WAY better articulated screen.... Look at the GoPro cameras.... you can do anything on your phone that you can do on the camera. How long will it be before smart phones or tablets become the ultimate remote control for high end DSLR's... the technology is already in use on lower end cameras.... it is tested and it works.

Now I would like to see a 7DII with Wifi.. this is tethered shooting without the tether... Set the camera up near a nest, and from a reasonable distance you can take those baby bird pictures.... put the camera on a telescope and not have to lie in the snow to see what's happening... and studio shooting with quick access to just about every setting....

If I can do this on a $400 camera, which also shoots 4K video, (take that 1D-C), it can be done on a $2000+ camera.
The best camera is the one in your hands

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
I find the articulating screen on the 60D very usefull and at one point I would have argued that any sucessor to the 7D should have one. My 60D has seen rugged use and no problems with the articulated screen and once you get used to it it is hard to imagine a camera without it.....

That said, times change and technology marches on. Wifi makes a smart phone into a WAY better articulated screen.... Look at the GoPro cameras.... you can do anything on your phone that you can do on the camera. How long will it be before smart phones or tablets become the ultimate remote control for high end DSLR's... the technology is already in use on lower end cameras.... it is tested and it works.

Now I would like to see a 7DII with Wifi.. this is tethered shooting without the tether... Set the camera up near a nest, and from a reasonable distance you can take those baby bird pictures.... put the camera on a telescope and not have to lie in the snow to see what's happening... and studio shooting with quick access to just about every setting....

If I can do this on a $400 camera, which also shoots 4K video, (take that 1D-C), it can be done on a $2000+ camera.

The 60D isn't sealed though like the magnesium alloy xD bodies.  That is the biggest hurdle to overcome with an articulating screen in any sealed body...i.e. how do you maintain a water/pressure resistant housing with an articulating screen that is going to have a hinge(s) in any design scenario.  I think most pros would say, "yeah, kinda cool in certain situations...but it would get in the way" more...and for video, pros use an external monitor anyway so no value in an articulating screen.

P.S.  what do you shoot "4K" on your GoPro?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »

The 60D isn't sealed though like the magnesium alloy xD bodies.  That is the biggest hurdle to overcome with an articulating screen in any sealed body...i.e. how do you maintain a water/pressure resistant housing with an articulating screen that is going to have a hinge(s) in any design scenario.  I think most pros would say, "yeah, kinda cool in certain situations...but it would get in the way" more...and for video, pros use an external monitor anyway so no value in an articulating screen.

P.S.  what do you shoot "4K" on your GoPro?
sealing and robustness was always a problem.... one had to take extra care , but it was still a usefull function for some of us... Wifi makes it obsolete... If you don't want it, your already there. If you do, bring along a tablet and there's your remote control and your external monitor.

Don't have a GoPro yet..... but ask again on Tuesday  :) I intend to use it for canoeing and kite photography... remote shutter and monitor on an iPad seems a lot easier than trained monkeys on the kite.... and the animal rights people probably would not approve either.... And for some reason my sweetie will not let me use her 5DII and L glass in a kite  >:(

I've used a 7D enough to know that I should have bought it instead of the 60D, it really is a lot nicer camera, but the 60D has two things going for it for astronomy that the 7D can't match.... The articulating screen is ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC!!!!!!! when your telescope is pointing straight up, and it has a cropped 640x400 video mode that when coupled with image stacking gets you far better images than any DSLR is capable with as a single shot.... this is probably why Canon made the 60Da as thier astronomy camera. Wifi cancels out the first point, but I hope Canon retains/transfers over that cropped video mode.
The best camera is the one in your hands

coreyhkh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
Do you guys really think a 7d mk2 is going to come out???
I don't want to give my hopes up but I would prefer if Canon bumped the price if it meant it would be a better camera.

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 04:34:46 AM »
Do you guys really think a 7d mk2 is going to come out???
I don't want to give my hopes up but I would prefer if Canon bumped the price if it meant it would be a better camera.

well none of us know for certain, hence the name "canon rumors FORUM" :D

but considering the success enjoyed by the current 7D, it would be pretty foolhardy of Canon not to introduce an updated version to remain competitive.
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 04:34:46 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 06:20:41 AM »
Look at recent Canon $$history...$1699 sounds optimistic.
But wait; what's wrong with being an optimist?
Optimists are generally happier healthier people.
$1699? I'll have two please...

-PW

CreationHeart

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • CreationHeart Photography
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:04 AM »
Having got the 5d3 and 1dx, i would really be interested in a 7D2 for wildlife too!
1Dx, 5Dmk3, 15mm fisheye, 16-35L, 35L, 85L, 100L, 135L, 70-200L IS II, 500L and accessories.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:04 AM »