November 27, 2014, 02:15:12 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 43473 times)

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:04:33 PM by xps »

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »

ColinLovesGreen

« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »
Does anyone have an Idealistic price point for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II? Cause I am saving up for one even though there is not an exact release date or price for that matter, but I want to know a price range at least, if anyone knows? Thanks!!!

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2012, 03:47:11 AM »
It's all speculation at this time, not even rumors.

My prediction is that the price will be $1600-1800 in the US.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
in order to acheive all of the rumored capabilities, the 7D2 is going to have to utilize a newer sensor generation than even the 6D, and maybe even come in at a similar or even a higher price.  $2500 wouldn't surprise me.     Its also possible that it may utilize the same sensor technology as the rumored 46mp FF "big megapixel" sensor that we're supposed to hear about next year as well.  Realizing that 46mp happens to be the same pixel density as a 1.6x crop at 18mp, we could also suggest that the newer sensor generation could stay at 46 "ish" MP for the FF version, and spawn a 25 "ish"  sensor for the 7D2, making the former (FF) sensor perform better in those IQ areas driven by lower pixel density.   

a  high-fps dual digic 5+ 7D2 that shares the AF system of the 1DX and 5D3 is probably going to be priced more than $1800, just my opinion.  especially if it equals or outperforms those cameras in low-light AF performance and can either provide its own AF assist or at least impressively utilize those provided by shoe mounted accessories.  Time will tell how Canon positions this one, but to me the indications are that it's getting promoted to a higher pay curve with "flaghship crop" status, i.e. weather-sealed, grip-optional but otherwise worthy successor to the 1D4 type of body :D

too bad the AF systems are not perfected to work with IR assist...  that would be cool

BTW, another bonus would be GPS/Wifi borrowed from the 6D and/or integrated radio flash controller.  Canon is clearly moving away from optical controlled speedlites, so my guess is that this paves the way for a "no pop-up flash" on the 7D2 and an integrated radio controller.  just CR-1 speculation of course...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:33:37 AM by dlleno »

crasher8

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
So….what happens if the 7D2 is noisy above 6400 as well? I sold my 7D and never looked back.I needed more than just AF.  I'm not so certain that Canon will introduce new sensor tech just for an 1.6 that can truly meet the demands of current 7D users and not put it in the FF price realm. I wish they could but I'm afraid it'll be a reiteration of the current sensors available akin to what they tweaked for the T4i. A minor step.

mortadella

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »
Now that the 6D is in the mix, and the 5D3 feature set is clearly way beyond what the 5dmk2 offered, Canon has definitely created another tier within the xD series of cameras.

If there is no drastic departure from the original 7D - and this rumor indicates that it will still be APS-C, fast shooter, better-than-similarly-priced-FF AF.  I see the 6D & 7D positioned how the 1D bodies were before the release of the 1DX.  One is for the landscape and portrait shooter, the other for the wildlife and sports shooter.  Note: I didn't feel like the 5Dmk2 and 7D did that due to the ~$800 price difference, considering that was 50% of the 7D price.

Canon has decided at least for the time being and for those who buy 1D series body - you don't have to make a compromise with your purchase (you shouldn't for $7k). 

That won't be true for the lower xD class, I would guess that the 7D might be priced equal to the 6D.  If that is the case though don't expect the 7D to beat the 6D at high ISO performance, but cleaner 100-400 should be expected.  So upgraders will have a difficult choice to make, which suits their needs better, rather than just what suits their budgets.  And it probably makes more sense for that type of choice to be made at this price point than at the top.  Good move by Canon if this truly the direction.

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »
I'm not so certain that Canon will introduce new sensor tech just for an 1.6 ...

You are basically right.

Still, the most practical thing to do when introducing new tech is to put it in smaller sensors first .
In fact, that's what Canon is doing already with the S100/S110/G15 sensor - which is made on new tech.

Eventually, this new tech will make it into DSLR sensors as well.
At that time, it would make the most sense if it's used for 1.6x sensors first.

Of course this is not guaranteed and Canon might have other plans.

To me, though, a 7DII with the same sensor as the 7D is kind of pointless.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
I'm not so certain that Canon will introduce new sensor tech just for an 1.6 ...

You are basically right.

Still, the most practical thing to do when introducing new tech is to put it in smaller sensors first .
In fact, that's what Canon is doing already with the S100/S110/G15 sensor - which is made on new tech.

introducing a new crop sensor in the 7D2 would follow the 7D tradition (although the 18MP 7D sensor was not really revolutionary or disruptive at the time;  it represented incremental improvments with over-sold ISO performance imho). The 7D2 sensor will either be a distruptively new crop sensor (perhaps with 46mp influence) or it will be an incrmental improvement (with t4i heritage)  in pretty colored wrapping,  oversold to appear disruptive (like the 7D sensor was).  If Canon builds and measures the 7D2 against the 7D, ("look, we listened and updated the 7D with better AF, 10fps...) then the upade will feel a lot like the 5D3:  great anticipation, followed  by some disapointment fueled by those who read numbers, followed by the realization that the camera is a very solid performer in the target venue, followed by arguments over whether or not one should upgrade, followed by a low DxO score.... etc.   If Canon builds and measures the 7D2 against the market, then we will see some wahoo. 

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »

You are basically right.

introducing a new crop sensor in the 7D2 would follow the 7D tradition (although the 18MP 7D sensor was not really revolutionary or disruptive at the time;  it represented incremental improvments with over-sold ISO performance imho). The 7D2 sensor will either be a distruptively new crop sensor (perhaps with 46mp influence) or it will be an incrmental improvement (with t4i heritage)  in pretty colored wrapping,  oversold to appear disruptive (like the 7D sensor was).  If Canon builds and measures the 7D2 against the 7D, ("look, we listened and updated the 7D with better AF, 10fps...) then the upade will feel a lot like the 5D3:  great anticipation, followed  by some disapointment fueled by those who read numbers, followed by the realization that the camera is a very solid performer in the target venue, followed by arguments over whether or not one should upgrade, followed by a low DxO score.... etc.   If Canon builds and measures the 7D2 against the market, then we will see some wahoo.

Agreed and well said!  Realizing that it will likely be late 2013 befor release, due to  the much needed bug fixes that will be needed in the first few months, seasonal sales like black friday and Christmas, to look forward too, anticipating price drops... it would likely be late 2014 before a purchase of the 7D2 would make sense for me, not being an early adopter... That should be about 1 year after announcement and 6 months after initial release...  That should get me the price I want!

In the meantime, my 5D MK III arives Saturday or Monday!  Yay!  Merry Christmas! ;D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

grenwick

« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2012, 02:33:27 AM »
I think when the 7D Mark ll comes out it will cost close to $2,299.99CDN which is $1,000 more than the 7D Mark l is selling for this week. I paid $1,389.99 in August 2012 and am quite happy with the 7D. I look forward to having camera envy and reading about the 7D ll. If it doesn't take compact flash then I would have to toss out 6 or 7cards. I don't think Full Frame is for me as I like taking birds in flight and cropping to 5x7 or 4x6 before printing. :)

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
Found on an German IT-news page:

Maybe interresting: Fast, good image quality.

http://www.golem.de/news/aufloesung-und-geschwindigkeit-canon-7d-mark-ii-fuer-sport-und-landschaftsfotografen-1212-96081.html

The article is actually nothing more than a collection of RUMORS from CR and Northlight but selling them like an official Canon press release…  ???
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 |
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
I do understand well that some of the consumer can afford more than one camera body. Each one for a different use, but not all of us can. For those who can purchase only one camera that one should have as much features as possible. If some shoot only sports, well just don't need that flip screen. If somebody is just taking pictures at the birthdayparty, than he just is ok with a xxxD. But if you find interest in shooting many different things you want a camera that offers all the needed featurs like flip screen, fast shooting, fast af and so on.
That camera would be the right one for me, because i can only buy one an not 2 more as a back up.

you're not the only one.    For example, some will buy the 7D2 even if it has an articulating screen if they are not likely to hike through the brush during the rain chasing moose.  Those who stand shoulder to shoulder in a crowd using a monopod, worried about that screen getting bumped by a flying elbow, may think differently.

And Miah your experience is important, to be sure; I just wouldn't go quite as far as saying that your assesment is factual for all wildlife/action 'togs.  I'm sure there are a number of situations where the 1D4 and 1DX would wink and smile where the xxD and Rebels would die.   

In the end,  Canon's marketing research has to describe the  target the market that will make them money, and then go after it.  Some will be closer to the target audience than others.   I'm reminded of Canons announcement that 1D and 1Ds would merge into the 1DX, and all the speculating around Canon abandoning the 1D4 market.

Why does the camera industry not have more of these slight "version"  offering? e.g. only recently has a company made 2 versions of the same DSLR (one without the "E"). Why cannot Canon offer 2 flavors of the 5d3 and 7d2. One with articulating screen and one without? I suspect the additional sales they garner from the bodies may not offset the additional productions costs of the body, but with someone switching to a Canon "System",  it would pay off for both consumer and supplier.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:59:33 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »
neuro's response was tongue in cheek... everyone knows the earth stays still and the universe revolves around it  :)

Love this forum and it's esteemed visitors.   :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »
It's all speculation at this time, not even rumors.

I predict $1000 "over" that Prediction.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »

I predict $1000 "over" that Prediction.

Hmm. You must be one of those who think that the 7DII will be a 1DIV replacement.
Not going to happen, trust me  :P.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »