October 22, 2014, 02:54:23 AM

Author Topic: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????  (Read 45056 times)

awinphoto

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 2002
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »
I guess that's how you define smashing good. :). With technology these days and the rumoured digic 5 processor perhaps it could be quite useable.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »

nlrela

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »
Well overhere (Switzerland) there seems nothing to choice at the moment ...... MKIII not yet released, MKII completely sold out and not to get anymore (at least for the moment).

arioch82

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
    • flickr account
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »
I'm in about the same situation but I'm thinking of buying the 7d just for the focus system...
I don't have any urgent need, I own a 500d (my first srl bought about an year and half ago) and I would love to go fullframe so I'm waiting for the 5d Mk3...

what do you think it will be it's price when it'll be out? over 2k?
do they usually keep the price of the previous model?
Canon 5D MkII | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | Canont 50mm f/1.4 USM | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD

sb

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
Just as a side-note, I'm not sure if price is a factor for any of you guys who are debating Mk2 or Mk3, but there is no way that Mk3 will be anywhere near the current price of the Mk2. I think the price differential will be at least $1000 (think back to the original price of Mk2).

I think a good, price conscious interim solution is a used 7D (that is, if you're itching to buy something now). Then sell it when you're ready to buy the Mk3, you'll lose $300-$400 on it, but it's not the end of the world considering you'll have something to keep you busy for a year.

arioch82

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
    • flickr account
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »
Just as a side-note, I'm not sure if price is a factor for any of you guys who are debating Mk2 or Mk3, but there is no way that Mk3 will be anywhere near the current price of the Mk2. I think the price differential will be at least $1000 (think back to the original price of Mk2).

I think a good, price conscious interim solution is a used 7D (that is, if you're itching to buy something now). Then sell it when you're ready to buy the Mk3, you'll lose $300-$400 on it, but it's not the end of the world considering you'll have something to keep you busy for a year.

what was the original price of the Mk2?
what kind of range are we talking about?

sorry for the stupid question... it's been only an year since i've started this expensive hobby :)
Canon 5D MkII | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | Canont 50mm f/1.4 USM | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD

sb

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
arioch82, I bought the Mk2 in Toronto, Canada a month after it came out, and I paid $3300 + tax (13%) - so about $3700 all in. It was worth every penny though. That camera paid itself off many, many times over the years and I plan to continue to use it as a backup body when Mk3 comes out.

neuroanatomist

  • CR GEEK
  • ********
  • Posts: 14713
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
Just as a side-note, I'm not sure if price is a factor for any of you guys who are debating Mk2 or Mk3, but there is no way that Mk3 will be anywhere near the current price of the Mk2. I think the price differential will be at least $1000 (think back to the original price of Mk2).

what was the original price of the Mk2?
what kind of range are we talking about?

sorry for the stupid question... it's been only an year since i've started this expensive hobby :)

It's a very good question, and honestly I have no idea what sb means...  The 5D launched with an MSRP of $3299, and the 5DII launched with an MSRP of $2699, $600 cheaper than the original.  Since I somehow doubt sb is suggesting that a 5DIII will be $1000 cheaper than the 5DII, I admit - I'm confused...

arioch82, I bought the Mk2 in Toronto, Canada a month after it came out, and I paid $3300 + tax (13%) - so about $3700 all in.

Maybe you paid too much?   :P   Actually, the US/CAN$ exchange rate at the time of the 5DII launch was averaging around 1:1.25, meaning if you paid CAN$3300, that was pretty much the list price in US$, i.e. $2700. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:24:21 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses
______________________________
Flickr | TDP Profile/Gear List

canon rumors FORUM

Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »

WarStreet

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
what do you think it will be it's price when it'll be out? over 2k?
do they usually keep the price of the previous model?

If there will be no change in the cameras category, the 5DIII launch price should be similar to the 5DII launch price. Exchange rate may have a role on the price too. For cameras, there is more chance they decrease rather increase in price.

sb

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
Neuroanatomist, I think it depends on where you live and when you bought it exactly. The MSRP had no relation to reality when the camera was released here in Canada. Also I think that the CDN $ was crapshoot back then. In fact I didnt see Mk2 anywhere near the MSRP for at least a year and a half after the release.

Even today the best Mk2 price I can find in Toronto right now is this which is slightly less than the "MSRP":
http://www.adencamera.com/product-overviewer.asp?ProdID=2451&Category=6

 

awinphoto

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 2002
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
If you wanted to buy from adorama and bhphotovideo, they were at MSRP but you had backorders galore and or people buying them and posting them on ebay at a higher price... At local stores they tend to raise prices to cover costs and add state tax so that could be quite accurate pricing depending on your store.  At my local store they sold them relatively at MSRP for the initial rush (because the MSRP was widely known) but after the initial craze passed and they got enough to actually keep some in stock, they raised their prices accordingly.  I'd expect the MkIII to be roughly $2699-2899.  Hopefully they'll still have the 24-105L kit because that's what I will be saving for. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

sb

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »
Just as a side-note, I'm not sure if price is a factor for any of you guys who are debating Mk2 or Mk3, but there is no way that Mk3 will be anywhere near the current price of the Mk2. I think the price differential will be at least $1000 (think back to the original price of Mk2).

what was the original price of the Mk2?
what kind of range are we talking about?

sorry for the stupid question... it's been only an year since i've started this expensive hobby :)

It's a very good question, and honestly I have no idea what sb means...  The 5D launched with an MSRP of $3299, and the 5DII launched with an MSRP of $2699, $600 cheaper than the original.  Since I somehow doubt sb is suggesting that a 5DIII will be $1000 cheaper than the 5DII, I admit - I'm confused...

arioch82, I bought the Mk2 in Toronto, Canada a month after it came out, and I paid $3300 + tax (13%) - so about $3700 all in.

Maybe you paid too much?   :P   Actually, the US/CAN$ exchange rate at the time of the 5DII launch was averaging around 1:1.25, meaning if you paid CAN$3300, that was pretty much the list price in US$, i.e. $2700. 

... Oh yeah, did I mention that we get pwned on taxes over here? :-) When MK3 comes out, I'm off to Buffalo to load up

neuroanatomist

  • CR GEEK
  • ********
  • Posts: 14713
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »
Exchange rate may have a role on the price too. For cameras, there is more chance they decrease rather increase in price.

Honestly, I think 5DIII pricing is a crapshoot at this point.  Historically, the 1Ds series price at launch has been identical ($8K) for all three of the cameras.  For the 1D series, prices went down $500 from the II to the IIN, then up for the III ($500 more than the II, so $1000 more than the IIN), then up yet again for the IV (another $500 increase over the III). 

So, based on that, I'd expect the launch price of a 5DIII to be somewhere between the original and the MkII, likely around $3K, maybe $2900.  But you're also correct that the exchange rate for the yen is a factor when they set the MSRP.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:36:24 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses
______________________________
Flickr | TDP Profile/Gear List

Martin

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 100
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:10 AM »
I just had the same problem as probably a lot of us now,buy now or wait ? I have decided to buy now a 5dii, and other canon stuff, cause I switched from Nikon. In worst case scenario i will have a second body when a new 5D III is released, hawever I honestly dont belive it will happen before 2012.

Guys, I really dont understand the problem with avilabilty of current model, I live and buy in Poland and have no problems to get the camera in 2 days. Anyway, now i become a canon shooter, so let me say Hi to all of you. Hope i can live with AF, and the image quality will compensate that lack.
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:10 AM »

nocturne

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »
Same thing here in Iceland... no problem to get your hands on a 5DMKII...

neuroanatomist

  • CR GEEK
  • ********
  • Posts: 14713
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
Same thing here in Iceland... no problem to get your hands on a 5DMKII...

Here in the US, availability of the 5DII is spotty - the three major online retailers (B&H, Adorama, and Amazon) are all sold out (although there are 3rd party vendors with stock selling on Amazon at outrageous prices).   All of them get periodic shipments, fill backorders, and usually have some left to sell...but then they sell out again.

Still, for anyone considering the 'buy 5DII now or wait for 5DIII' question, I'd give my usual advice - if you need/want it now and can afford it now, buy it now.  Despite rumors to the contrary, I don't believe Canon will release a 5DIII before they release a 1DsIV, and the latter has not even been announced yet.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses
______________________________
Flickr | TDP Profile/Gear List

canon rumors FORUM

Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »