August 23, 2014, 02:46:17 PM

Author Topic: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????  (Read 44289 times)

BlueMixWhite

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »
With the 5DmkIII rumors ongoing, will anyone willing to pull the trigger on the mkII now?

Michael_pfh

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 227
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »
With the 5DmkIII rumors ongoing, will anyone willing to pull the trigger on the mkII now?

I was fed up with the wait for the 5D3 and spontaneously bought a 1D4 last weekend - love it!
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

Astro

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »
i will definately wait a bit longer now.
im happy with my 550D and 7D.

have sold most of my EF-S glass already and when the 5D MK3 appears i make the jump to FF.
will sell the 7D but not the 550D. it´s nice to have the 1.6 crop for my 300mm f4.

BlueMixWhite

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »
I'm going to wait out till end of feb. if still no news, I might go for mkII.

aaronh

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »
I'm going to wait out till end of feb. if still no news, I might go for mkII.

That's my plan too. :)

Dylan777

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 3875
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »

If you NEED a full frame NOW, then buy it - as I did.

If you feel current the AF on 5D II is not for you, then save your money for III.

Otherwise....buy a used 5D II now, and sell it once 5D III in stock. You might loose $1 hundred or so, but still cheaper than renting it.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

kidnaper

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
I see part of my answer addressed on page 7, but I'm not going to read all 7 pages just to be sure I don't repeat...
I'm in the same boat so here's my rationale...
I don't need a 5DII tomorrow. I'd like one yesterday but I can't justify buying 3 year old tech knowing that the new one should be dropping any day. I already missed out on the best price the camera has ever been at so I have little incentive to jump at it right now. I'd like better AF and FPS out of the Mk3, and would prefer a shared sensor with the 1Dx but will let the real announcement decide which camera I will plan for.
I guess to surmise, since I don't NEED a 5D at this moment, I'm not going to make any purchase until we know what the new camera will have, and for how much.
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

K-amps

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1512
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
My vote goes to... Wait for 5D3.

Purchases are about being happy with them. While current 5d2 owners are happy with their purchases, how happy will you be if by March there's a 5D3 with a good number of improvements over the 5d2?

The exception is; if you are losing money (or a gig) then go for the 5d2 now, you can always trade up later.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

aaronh

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »
I've been working as a second shooter for a wedding photographer for about a year now. I have my first solo wedding coming up in June and I need a second body for it (I've been using a single 60D as a 2nd shooter). I would like to buy something before June so I can get a good amount of practice with full frame before the wedding. Therefore, unless something crazy happens it seems pointless to wait around for a 5dIII for too long. Especially since my budget is a lot more conducive to a 5dII...


K-amps

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1512
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
I've been working as a second shooter for a wedding photographer for about a year now. I have my first solo wedding coming up in June and I need a second body for it (I've been using a single 60D as a 2nd shooter). I would like to buy something before June so I can get a good amount of practice with full frame before the wedding. Therefore, unless something crazy happens it seems pointless to wait around for a 5dIII for too long. Especially since my budget is a lot more conducive to a 5dII...

Why not get a 5Dc? many wedding pros prefer the 5Dc citing more natural Flesh tones. It's FF, and at a very reasonable price point right now.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

outsider

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
What does everyone think about the prices. The 5DMK2 can be had (here in canada) for $1999 brand new, and about $1600 used right now. That's an amazing price.
The cost of the 5DMK3 is likely going to be around $3k (just like what the 5Dmk2  was when it came out), and when that happens I expect the value of the used MK2 out there to increase.
Just a feeling.

Of course the Mk3 is going to be better. But currently I think the value you get for the MK2 is awesome, especially for a used one.

What do you guys think?

Dianoda

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 101
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Hey Kids,
Just wanted to chime in and note that this thread was started way back in July 2011 and some hoser drudged it up to note that an image looked soft (thanks hoser).  But don't mind me, feel free to beat this dead horse for all it's worth.
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

Vamp898

  • Guest
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
The DIGIC5, thats what canon says, would blow your mind.

Also the 5D Mark II is quite old and so the DIGIC4 is... its still a very very good camera but if you dont own any camera i would defently wait at least 1-2 months

damm just read that this post is quite old and dead xD

nvmd
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:32:52 PM by Vamp898 »

skitron

  • 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 509
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
Purchases are about being happy with them. While current 5d2 owners are happy with their purchases, how happy will you be if by March there's a 5D3 with a good number of improvements over the 5d2?

I will probably still be happy since the 5D3 is not going to cost me $1990 bundled with $650 of software I actually wanted and use. And it will still be the best performance for that price for a good while I suspect. I'm guessing the 5D3 body comes out for north of $3K.

damm just read that this post is quite old and dead xD

LOL, yes, but the fact it's old kinda makes a point about waiting for something to materialize for all this time.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:38:49 PM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

K-amps

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1512
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: BUY 5d MkII now or WAIT for 5d MkIII????
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »

I will probably still be happy since the 5D3 is not going to cost me $1990 bundled with $650 of software I actually wanted and use. And it will still be the best performance for that price for a good while I suspect. I'm guessing the 5D3 body comes out for north of $3K.

What are you waiting for then?  ;)

PS: 5D came in at $3199. 5D2 was released at around $2500. I am not sure there are enough points to form a correlation, but here it is for whatever it is worth.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii