April 18, 2014, 01:53:41 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D C Available for Preorder from B&H Photo  (Read 5575 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D C Available for Preorder from B&H Photo
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
I am a cinematographer. I do not shoot on DSLR much. However I am in touch with people who do. I rent out my gear a lot.

Posting this to tell you guys that this camera is creating SUPER buzz where I am (Bombay) in the low budget film community... FYI.

Why is that sanj? I just do not understand this camera at all. What is so great about it, apart from the 4K, compared to the XF 300 (US$ 6K) or the lower XA10 (US$ 1.8K)?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
I am a cinematographer. I do not shoot on DSLR much. However I am in touch with people who do. I rent out my gear a lot.

Posting this to tell you guys that this camera is creating SUPER buzz where I am (Bombay) in the low budget film community... FYI.

Why is that sanj? I just do not understand this camera at all. What is so great about it, apart from the 4K, compared to the XF 300 (US$ 6K) or the lower XA10 (US$ 1.8K)?

I am not so sure why the buzz really. Perhaps many feel 4k is better quality vs 2k. Perhaps some feature guys will shoot without permissions. Perhaps the rental houses feel that this will be the next 'in' thing and they must get it before others to ensure clients do not move away.

thelebaron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »
form factor and 4k are the big draws, probably for the professional angle. with black swan they were able to film without a permit, in House they were able to use them in a tight space where a proper rig would not have fit. Who knows if the 4k is worth the price tag they are asking though, should be interesting to see how its received.

RafaPolit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
What I do not get is why they are putting such a clearly "videographer"-spec'd system in a DSLR body and not in a movie camera body like Cxxx...  ???
This!!! Exactly my feelings and complete bewilderment regarding this camera and who is it really supposed to target :( .  Canon needs to follow Apple and Microsoft and fire their head of products :( .

Rafa.

brant

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Here's why I just preordered one of these (I currently have a 5D3)

Better lowlight capability than a 5D3
Better video quality than a 5D3
Super 35 crop mode to give me longer reach on my telephotos without sacrificing aperture
1080p in 60fps

So I guess they are targeting me, or anyone else who wants these things. Why don't I just get a 1DX you ask? Because the 1DX w would only give me better lowlight and video quality than the 5D3. The Super 35 crop mode and the 1080p in 60fps are going to be a big help for my current project. 4K will be nice to have in the next couple of years, although I don't see myself using it all that much right now.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:31:36 PM by brant »

Respinder

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
To be honest, I don't think the price is too high when you consider the price impacts associated with 4K technology.

For instance, Sony's 84" 4K television is $24,000. By comparison, a 2K 80" TV would run you roughly $4000.

The fact of the matter is that 4K is not just an evolution, it is a revolution, in the same way HDTV replaced SDTV. I would, however, hold off on this purchase considering that in another few years, these cameras will come down to affordable prices - as will 4K televisions. Of course, by that point, the next "big" thing will be 8K!

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
6k is too much for this 8bit video..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
12K for the camera, 10K for a monitor to view the images, many K for the computer to hold the images and drive the monitor..... for me, it just doesn't fly.

This, http://ardrone2.parrot.com/, is a far better option for me.....

You don't need a 4K monitor to display 4K footage.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

Because the XF300 and XA10 don't shoot anywhere close to 4K, and hardly any cameras on the market (if any) will shoot 4K onto CF cards.  And it's hard to squeeze the XF300 and XA10 into small spaces, they don't have anywhere close to as big a sensor (or low-light capability), can't use EF lenses.  Not to mention they don't have the exact same capabilities as Canon's flagship 1DX like the 1DC does.  The 1DC does everything the 1DX does and then some. 

That being said, I don't think the 1DC is really geared towards 5D/7D shooters, it's more for the cinema industry and I think it will be very popular for certain things.  There isn't really one camera that does everything perfectly.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

bp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
The specs-nerd in me would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed at 8bit and no RAW.  For a camera this pricey, that's a let down.  FS700-style framerates would also be in line with the price tag.

...but the hybrid shooter in me who already wants a 1DX - I spend about half my time shooting stills, and half my time doing video - would be lying if I said I didn't want it anyway.
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »