October 25, 2014, 09:16:08 PM

Author Topic: 1dx Af quick select within a custom function?  (Read 1474 times)

Argonaut

1dx Af quick select within a custom function?
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »
For those 1dx users who have really customized their setups..,

I have setup a custom function for single point Af, single shot...

1) I'd like now to be able to push M-fn2 button to switch from single point to the 61 point mode and then push it again Back to single af point...

Possible? It seems the two items are mutually exclusive...

2) I'd like to assign one shot vs ai servo to a button and use that with a custom function preset for either one...

Possible or mutually exclusive again? I see that these buttons can be customized outside of the 3 custom function settings but don't see a way to do it within one of the three..

3) is it possible while in single shot af to set a specific focus point within 61 pts or that only works for ai servo mode?

4) if you set 1 pt af expanded to nearest 8... If a bird crosses the sky ...does the af track it completely across or is the assumption that the photographer is panning the camera to help keep it within those 8 original points?

Thanks,

Marc

canon rumors FORUM

1dx Af quick select within a custom function?
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1dx Af quick select within a custom function?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
1) can be done by setting up C# modes and assigning M.Fn to switch between them (I have C2 as one shot single point, C3 as AI servo 61-pt auto

2) I have this as M.Fn2, must hold to toggle

3) Yes, you can always use single point selection.  Only in servo you get to pick the starting point for tracking

4) it assumes you're panning, only in 61-pt auto will it track across the frame if you're not panning

1&2 above can be combined under the Switch to Registered AF Function which can be assigned to M.Fn.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Concur with neuro, there are a multitude of options with this model.  Just remember, in AI Servo, single point AF and single point spot AF cannot be used in Cases 5 and 6!  However, Cases 2 and 4 are good choices when single AF points are needed in AI Servo.  I have found Case 6 with all 61 points selected, works very well for me when shooting BIF with either my 100-400 or 70-300L.  Also, selecting the 9 center points works well in all AI Servo Case choices.
Happy shooting!
EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

Argonaut

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:41:14 AM »
Thank you for the quick replies!

Can you do 1&2 above using just one C function and a registered function?

I already have a couple different C functions (static vs BIF) and was seeking to add some quick flexibility to them vs adding more...besides we can have only 3 :)...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
Thank you for the quick replies!

Can you do 1&2 above using just one C function and a registered function?

I already have a couple different C functions (static vs BIF) and was seeking to add some quick flexibility to them vs adding more...besides we can have only 3 :)...

I don't think so...

Depending on how frequently you need different settings, you can expand your reportoire.  I have 'groups' of C# settings - a C1-C3 set for people, another set for outdoors/wildlife, a set for HDR, etc.  I save all the groups to an old 2 GB card that I keep in the pocket of my Blackrapid strap, and load them from the card depending on what I'm going to be shooting that day.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »