September 17, 2014, 02:03:41 AM

Author Topic: What is the 6d actually good at (*positive* fact list)?  (Read 26876 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
What is the 6d actually good at (*positive* fact list)?
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
With most of the threads about what's wrong with the 6d and what a €2000 camera doesn't do that a €3000 does, I'd like to assemble a (short?) comprehensive list of 6d characteristics that are positive and, if these are required, might make the 6d a good purchase after all over the 7d, 5d2 or even 5d3:

We all know that Nikon has more bang for the buck, and more expensive gear is "better". I also could rave about what Canon audaciously cut from the 6d. But that's not was this thread should be about.

So here's what I think (or assembled) vs. either 7d, 5d2 or 5d3:
  • highest dynamic range vs 5d2/5d3 - see http://www.sensorgen.info/CanonEOS_6D.html
  • visibly (vs 5d2) / slightly (vs 5d3) higher iso capability, esp. more usable iso12800+
  • less banding = higher potential for shadow recovery (esp. vs. 5d2)
  • center-point af up to -3lv (and probably no af assist lag like on 5d3?)
  • more precise center af (vs 7d/5d2, much worse than 5d3 & 6d cannot use newer lenses' precision (lensrentals))
  • silent shutter @3fps (same as 5d3)
  • gps built-in (but w/o camera direction, thanks, Canon)
  • wifi built-in and remote control via mobile device
  • long battery life (1000+ shots, but of course w/o gps or wifi)
  • exchangeable focusing screen for better mf with f2.8+ (vs. 5d3)
  • large ff viewfinder (vs. crop)
  • short release time (vs. 5d2, equal to 5d3)
  • good metering & auto-wb (vs. 5d2, equal to 5d3/7d)
  • hi-res lcd (vs. 5d2)
  • top wheel lock (vs. 5d2)
  • fast fps (vs. 5d2, but worse than 5d3/7d)
  • newer firmware (vs. 5d2/7d):
    • full support for rt flashes,
    • in-camera multishot/hdr (but only jpg & no save source, thanks, Canon)
    • in-camera ca correction
    • 7x bracketing
    • dual afma for zooms
    • servo af customization
    • flexible min/max auto-iso
    • min shutter speed setting (only up to 1/250s, thanks, Canon)
    • orientation-linked af point (if anyone dares to use the non-center point)

These can be positive or negative according to personal taste or other equipment (like lens' sharpness/vignetting):
  • full frame sensor:
    • small depth of field
    • uses the whole lens area
    • field of view is like 35mm film
  • small, but still an ok/good grip
  • light (while retaining weather sealing)
  • 60d-type layout for "right-hand only" control
  • sd-card support, uhs-1 standard
  • less expensive means less need for insurance, worst-case (damage, theft) is less catastrophic
  • less innovations means proven tech = less (early adopter's) issues like compat w/ 3rd party tc (?)
  • larger af point edges - better to see with f2.8+, in dark environments & af points lit (probably?)

... reduced only 5d2 vs 6d: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12582.msg226467#msg226467
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:04:14 AM by Marsu42 »

canon rumors FORUM

What is the 6d actually good at (*positive* fact list)?
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: What is the 6d actually good at (*positive* fact list)?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
Most of the 6D buttons are on the right side of the camera, which allows to operate menus (like playback or delete) using only right hand without switching from the "ready to shoot" position.
FF + primes !

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
I think if you think it is going to have better high iso than the 5dmk3 putting it close to the 1dx you are kidding yourself
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »
I think if you think it is going to have better high iso than the 5dmk3 putting it close to the 1dx you are kidding yourself

Get the raw shots, convert them and see for yourself (like I did) - why are you so sure that Canon has cut back on the sensor noise performance, too - next to everything else (like every single spec, inc. the mp count)? But of course the 6d will have the 5d2/5d3 sensor characteristics like a zig-zag dynamic range curve and not a smooth one like the 1dx, seems to be entirely different tech.

Under the Sun

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »
Another possible positive would be less issues and better quality control by Canon with first batch of Cameras unlike the D600. Well hopefully.

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »
What I like about it

Over the 5DIII - It is cheaper (and I am realistic enough that this means certain features are given up)

Over the 5DII - It is newer.  It is smaller. It is lighter. Has GPS and WiFi. And I know it is still not proven but I am sure better IQ. Takes my SD cards (I do not have CF cards)

Over the D600 - Well it takes my EF lenses and EX flash  :P , so really the rest of the spec list is a moot point

Over the 7D - it is FF

Over my 500D - it is FF.  better sealed. better IQ. better focus. better view finder.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
Well, at least if you listen to chatter here and elsewhere, it would be hailed if it can find focus in dim light without an embarassing pause, and a seizure-inducing spell of of pre-flashing and buzzing.

Actually, I would be happy if it could work well on the center point, including in dim light, and then work as well (or even a little better?) on ISO noise than the 5D3.  Don't know what use I would have for GPS, but then I don't use video either, and yet it is in all the cameras. 

Really, the ISO thing is my only real criterion other than the inherent properties of "full-framedness".
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
What I like about it

Over the 5DIII - It is cheaper (and I am realistic enough that this means certain features are given up)

Over the 5DII - It is newer.  It is smaller. It is lighter. Has GPS and WiFi. And I know it is still not proven but I am sure better IQ. Takes my SD cards (I do not have CF cards)

Over the D600 - Well it takes my EF lenses and EX flash  :P , so really the rest of the spec list is a moot point

Over the 7D - it is FF

Over my 500D - it is FF.  better sealed. better IQ. better focus. better view finder.

;D Seems we're on the same boat.  I'm not dissatisfied with my 500D.  I can get the best pictures out of it even if it's outdated.  I just want to go FF and its better IQ.  6D is it.  I'll just wait a bit more for prices to simmer down.  If I have Nikon glass and flash, my decision would be different.

CreationHeart

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • CreationHeart Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
very cheap FF camera, quality built, clean high ISO performance - at least as good as 5D3, super small and light, fast focusing in low light.

Never tested its tracking though.

Cheers
Felix
1Dx, 5Dmk3, 15mm fisheye, 16-35L, 35L, 85L, 100L, 135L, 70-200L IS II, 500L and accessories.

MintMark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »
I would add high resolution LCD (smaller than 5d3 but same number of dots) and a larger viewfinder than any crop camera.

MayaTlab

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:05:47 AM »
  • With lenses faster than f2.8, the AF points will be easier to see than with translucent LCD focusing screen display cameras, and, additionally, the AF point will be able to be lit up in red in the dark, if I'm correct.
    The faint AF points display is one of the things that annoys me most with my 5DIII.

• The grip is very good for a camera of this class.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:07:44 AM by MayaTlab »

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 05:58:52 AM »
What I like about it

Over the 7D - it is FF

Almost the same for me, except that I don't care about small size or GPS/WiFi. In fact, I have a 60D and wish it was just a tad bigger, but it's alright. On the other hand, weight matters, and GPS and WiFi only adds a few grams without benefit (I guess), in my case. Good points for me:
- Affordable first FF
- IQ in low-light
- Shallower DoF than my 60D
- Allows me to use the good-and-now-very-cheap-for-what-it-offers 24-105 f/4L and stop thinking what to get for a decent wide-angle I could use whenever I upgrade to FF (main reason for me)
- Good battery life
Cheers :)

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
Very nice comparision Marsu42.

You left out the KING KONG - 1D X  ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
I would add high resolution LCD (smaller than 5d3 but same number of dots) and a larger viewfinder than any crop camera.

Added, plus some other improvements over the 5d2. The list actually is much longer than I thought it would be, but of course not weighted against the price, the 5d3 or esp. Nikon's d600.

Very nice comparision Marsu42.
You left out the KING KONG - 1D X  ;D

Thanks - and the 1dx is really in an entirely different league, not only considering the price but also the heavy and bulky camera body. The list is rather a shared decision help for me what ff camera to buy...

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
Awesome list - thanks for putting it together. Since I started using the 5dmkIII at work, all I've been wishing for was a lighter, less complicated camera for personal use - specifically one with a less complex autofocus system.

Tough to say until I see more reviews but with the early discounts on kit lenses I'm really hoping to see prices come down a touch after the holidays.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »