April 19, 2014, 05:02:16 PM

Author Topic: What is the 6d actually good at (*positive* fact list)?  (Read 24098 times)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: What is the 6d actually good at (*positive* fact list)?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 03:50:56 AM »
if you wanna take photos it is a great camera....  if you want images of lens targets etc.. who know or cares...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 03:50:56 AM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
60D ergos. Errr....

Still a newer camera than the 5D2 though.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

tomscott

• 7D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »
Marsu42 will you please just buy a full frame camera before you drive us all insane
Canon 5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
Backup:40D, 17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »

All should check out Carnathan's ISO tests of 6D vs. 5D3.
The 6D actually slightly outperforms the 5D3 in higher ISO settings:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
I want one. The high ISO reports sold me over the 5dII. I have a 60D and have got very fluid with it, altho the 9 AF points all correspond to a spot on the D-pad. 11 Is going to be interesting to choose with a D-pad. I think I would  rather see 8 cross type like the 60D, and the super sensitive -3EV center. Or maybe the 7D AF, although I have heard complaints about that as well.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
Marsu42 will you please just buy a full frame camera before you drive us all insane

Huh? How's that? Sorry if I'm being too vocal on my decision what camera to get, it's just that for example €3000 for a 5d3 Is.A.Lot.Of.Money.To.Me. so I want to make a good decision - and I guess others are in the same boat.

But only very slightly if you apply stronger chroma nr to the 5d3 (nearly no iq loss), downsize the 5d3 shots a bit and then keep in mind that the 6d shots are softer.

rafaelsynths

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
WIFI FEATURE ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
I have a 60D and have got very fluid with it, altho the 9 AF points all correspond to a spot on the D-pad. 11 Is going to be interesting to choose with a D-pad.

Overall I like the control layout of the 6D a lot better than the 60D, although it takes a bit of getting used to - I've had it for a week, and I'm still pressing the wrong buttons out of habit.  However when it comes to AF point selection it's just not as good.  The 60D was really fast with the D-pad + set button.  The 6D doesn't work like that.  You have to "scroll" through the points, and the diagonal buttons are almost pointless, since you normally hit one of the other directions instead. 

Since this is a positive list though, the way the zoom button works is awesome.  You can set it to default to any zoom level you want, and with one press check your focus.  Way faster then the 60D move your thumb all over the place dance.

Other button notes: the buttons have a nicer "feel" to them.  They feel a little more real, like you are actually pressing something.  Although on the D-pad this seems to have made the diagonals impossible to hit as noted above.   The DOF preview button while still in a bad location, feels much nicer.

And switching to movie mode no longer takes a stupid amount of turning.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
if you wanna take photos it is a great camera....  if you want images of lens targets etc.. who know or cares...

+1 I end up looking at the tests anyway, but in the end I like to take pictures, and it's a great camera for that.

WIFI FEATURE ;-)

+1 This feature just awesome for some applications.  I used to have really complex setup to do self portraits, and I'd frequently give up on getting the focus to work and shoot at f/8.  Now I can put the focus right on my eyes with ease.

I set the camera to a 2 second timer.  Use the phone to focus and make sure my location is good.  Press the shutter button on the phone, and keeping my head in place, slide the phone out of view - and 2 seconds later bang!  perfectly focused self-portrait on a f/1.4 lens.  It's almost cheating...
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »

I find him and everybody entertaining to our otherwise boring forum.   :)

Nazareth

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 12:04:31 AM »
Marsu- tak all the time you need- it's a big decision- I went back and forth between the 1dx, the 5D3, the 6D or the nikon D800 or even hte D600- it was a LOT to choose from, and took me a long time to decide- I finally went with hte tank- but based on my clumsiness and need for a rugged camera- plus the blazing speed for wildlife photography- It cost me my left kidney and three toes, but I think my choice will last a good long time.

It seems htere is ALWAYS soemthign that we have to 'sacrifice' when choosing one model over another- I wanted the 6D at first, but then was disuaded because of hte slower FPS, thought about D800 because of the high resolution, but was disuaded again because of the really slow fps- thought abotu hte D600- saw soem great photos from them, and almsot went that route (Yep- almost took the plunge for all new everythign- lenses etc etc etc) but in the end- I figured the 1DX with it's massive 400,000 shutter life expectancy was a great feature- (it would be abotu 2 1/2 5D3's to + that kidn of shutter life expectancy), and hte rugged weather resitance of the 1DX sold me- bit the bulelt and went for it- Now I just need to get my ulcers from all the pre decision worryign fixed and I'll be good to go :)

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:25 AM »
Marsu- tak all the time you need- it's a big decision- I went back and forth between the 1dx, the 5D3, the 6D or the nikon D800 or even hte D600- it was a LOT to choose from, and took me a long time to decide- I finally went with hte tank- but based on my clumsiness and need for a rugged camera- plus the blazing speed for wildlife photography- It cost me my left kidney and three toes, but I think my choice will last a good long time.

Thanks for understanding!

It is indeed a decision that should last for some time, i.e. the next 4-5 years, no matter what Canon releases next. And considering alternative uses for that money I can understand everyone who went through not picking the old 5d2, being surprised by the 5d3 price tag and then waiting if the 6d is an alternative. At least selling my Canon gear is no real option, I just want to have access to Magic Lantern.

Of course some or most professionals just grab the tools that suit them like a couple of 5d3 or an array of flashes, but that's not me, at least not yet. And finding out "what's best" for me when spending €5000-€6000 is not as easy as picking an ice cream flavor. But I guess I'm pretty there now, I know I want/need a ff because the iso is very limiting on the 60d (though I'll happily keep it as backup), and I'll wait a bit for the 5d3 af assist bug and price tendency because I won't buy the 6d camera at the starting price in any case - so you'll be spared further posts like the above :-p

Unfortunately, unlike in the US in Germany there are nearly no "deals" or "instant rebates", just the regular Canon rebates (more limited than in the US and not including the gear I want) or eBay EU imports that aren't much cheaper either. For lenses, there is no Craiglist-equivalent, and camera dealers get a heart attack if you try to haggle :-o so it's just wait and see.

vlim

• EOS M2
  • www.eco-tico-explorer.com
    • View Profile
    • Eco Tico Explorer
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 05:57:56 AM »
This is an apparently very good body especially for travelers but not for action photo (sport or wildlife in mouvment) and/or extreme conditions...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 05:57:56 AM »

MintMark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 05:59:11 AM »

But only very slightly if you apply stronger chroma nr to the 5d3 (nearly no iq loss), downsize the 5d3 shots a bit and then keep in mind that the 6d shots are softer.

Softer 6D shots... do we think it's those shots in that comparison or is it 6D shots in general? It makes me a little nervous... at the moment I'm waiting for comprehensive reviews and tests, but the temptation is growing :) I actually worked out how much I might get for trading in EF-S lenses and a crop camera...

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
I would like to keep my 60D of I got a 6D, but have a feeling im too poor for that option haha. Im still thinking about a 5dMkII but im a sucker for high-iso Low-noise.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »