August 31, 2014, 12:25:43 AM

Author Topic: Goofing around could lead to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  (Read 8259 times)

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Goofing around could lead to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »
For some reason the older I get, the more tolerant I am of abstract works. Must be mellowing in old age  :o

Anyway, I was just messing about and thought there must be a market for giant "exclusive" prints of this stuff. Either go mass-market and sell zillions via Ikea or print out a couple of 8ft square whoppers to sell to Russian oligarchs for a few million a piece.

Just for fun, what do you think?

canon rumors FORUM

« on: December 02, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
Re: Goofing around could lead to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Yep, you are right.
I see this type of "art" in small art-shops where you can buy it as a poster (prox. 30 euro) or printed on canvas (prox. 60 euro)
Regarding the colors....print a color that fits with the seasons popular interior colors and you have a winner to put on the wall. Next season people buy a new one with different color since they come relatively cheap.
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »

What, $16?  ;D

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »

What, $16?  ;D

Sold! Just send me the money and wait 28 days!

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »
I remember some photo that was heavily photoshopped (and really looked like that too!) and it also sold for a million euro or such  ???

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
This type of photography has been and is quickly being replaced by with CG, simple abstract stuff is easy to render and there's more control over the subject and lighting blah blah. But hey, all the photographer does is carry around nice gear to location so he can click a button for the camera to make magic, right??

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
I remember some photo that was heavily photoshopped (and really looked like that too!) and it also sold for a million euro or such  ???

{Warning, double post}
yeah that one river or something where all people, buildings and objects were removed for a barren landscape?
If it were a physically 'doctored' film photo then I would give praise, but millions for that?? No subject, story, message or anything, what an age of photography we're in. I thought the whole thing might be some weird promotion/advertising for Adobe "Man who meticulously uses photoshop makes tons of $$$, you can too so buy our Creative Suite!"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »

crasher8

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
I see a Mark Rothko comment coming

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
This type of photography has been and is quickly being replaced by with CG, simple abstract stuff is easy to render and there's more control over the subject and lighting blah blah. But hey, all the photographer does is carry around nice gear to location so he can click a button for the camera to make magic, right??

Very true.. 

From the POV of a stock photo shooter (and user... graphic design is my full time gig),  I think the most profitable way to judge a photo is looking at it's thumbnail and how attractive it appears alongside others... which translates to bastardizing your photos 99% of the time. 

If you're trying to sell photos, it's true that something like pretty bokeh circles probably sells better than a rare photo of a lion in the wild taken with a $20,000+ setup, 9 times out of 10.  But... HDR the S___ out of that lion and put pretty bokeh circles behind him and you might have a winner! (jk lol)
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

Yep, the older I get the mushier my brain becomes! (And I haven't even added alcohol into that mix, at least not in the last 30 years.)
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
Whilst we're debating the pros and cons of what makes "art", I can't help noticing that in the 7hrs or so since I posted the images, the thread has been read almost 1000 times and the images opened almost 900 times each and yet no one has asked what the images are of. I'd have thought abstract images would have caused at least one person to ask, "what is it?". Maybe they're too obvious. Maybe I'm over-analysing the minds of the people who view this site. Maybe I should get out more.  ;)

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:19:49 AM »
I see a Mark Rothko comment coming

+1
One of his paintings sold this year for $86.9 million USD :o
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »
Whilst we're debating the pros and cons of what makes "art", I can't help noticing that in the 7hrs or so since I posted the images, the thread has been read almost 1000 times and the images opened almost 900 times each and yet no one has asked what the images are of. I'd have thought abstract images would have caused at least one person to ask, "what is it?". Maybe they're too obvious. Maybe I'm over-analysing the minds of the people who view this site. Maybe I should get out more.  ;)

I was wondering about the first image.

The other ones look like a close up of a piece of steel rod.

Care to share details?
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »

Yep, the older I get the mushier my brain becomes! (And I haven't even added alcohol into that mix, at least not in the last 30 years.)
No wonder it is getting mushy! You have to clean all the mold out with spirit on a weekly basis! Shock and Awww man! And I am not talking Beers or Wines...
;)

iris chrome

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »

Well, the first one is obviously some sort of light source but I don't know what.

The second one looks to me like a macro close-up of the head of a nail.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »