Gear Talk > Canon General

5D3 or 5D2 + an L Lens

<< < (2/3) > >>

StepBack:
Get the 1DX or wait for the 46MP.

verysimplejason:
Just keep the 5D3.  You've already invested in it.  You'll lose some money if you are to sell it again.  Maybe, you should give your wife a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 VC/non-VC so you get to keep the 24-70.  The Tamron 17-50 is comparable to Canon 17-55 albeit not as good.  It's also a much cheaper solution.  You can also get an UWA (17-40 or 16-35) later on.

killswitch:

--- Quote from: Dylan777 on December 02, 2012, 07:22:09 PM ---
Why 16-35 II? why not 17-40mm if you plan to do landscape from f8 - f11. I'm not happy with my 16-35 II - this is not a WOW lens from Canon.

--- End quote ---

I initially wanted to go for the 17-40, but the vignetting seemed quite a lot on a FF camera compared to the 16-35 II. Curious, how come you are not happy with your 16-35 II ? Also, I was looking at my catalog in LR, and most of my wide shots are shot at the widest focal length I had in my bag (Tokina 11-16mm). I seem to like that extra FOV =/ The sunstars are better in 16-35 II but the flare is better controlled in 17-40. Grr.

--- Quote from: Halfrack on December 02, 2012, 07:34:31 PM ---Better question, what about the 50f1.8 do you not like?  It's not ideal, but if it's the build/sharpness/?? you may want to trade it in on a 40/2.8 "shorty 40".

--- End quote ---

The build quality is one, but I mainly dont like it's focus hunting problem. It hesitates to lock on instantly like the other lens in the same setting.

--- Quote from: RC on December 02, 2012, 08:11:08 PM ---Hmmm, wish my wife was into photog so I could justify buying more gear.  Second thought, maybe not, then she would know how much I'm spending.  ::)

--- End quote ---

Hehe, I hear ya.

Thanks folks. I will be keeping the 5D3. You are right, I may end up regretting plus may end up loosing more cash in the process if I had tried to sell it off. So the general consensus is the 17-40 it seems. Think its a good idea to rent both of these and see which one I like better? The only thing confusing me is how much field of view am I losing with the 17mm over the 16mm. Is it significant?

verysimplejason:

--- Quote from: killswitch on December 03, 2012, 08:56:54 AM ---
Why 16-35 II? why not 17-40mm if you plan to do landscape from f8 - f11. I'm not happy with my 16-35 II - this is not a WOW lens from Canon.

--- End quote ---

I initially wanted to go for the 17-40, but the vignetting seemed quite a lot on a FF camera compared to the 16-35 II. Curious, how come you are not happy with your 16-35 II ? Also, I was looking at my catalog in LR, and most of my wide shots are shot at the widest focal length I had in my bag (Tokina 11-16mm). I seem to like that extra FOV =/ The sunstars are better in 16-35 II but the flare is better controlled in 17-40. Grr.

--- Quote from: Halfrack on December 02, 2012, 07:34:31 PM ---Better question, what about the 50f1.8 do you not like?  It's not ideal, but if it's the build/sharpness/?? you may want to trade it in on a 40/2.8 "shorty 40".

--- End quote ---

The build quality is one, but I mainly dont like it's focus hunting problem. It hesitates to lock on instantly like the other lens in the same setting.

--- Quote from: RC on December 02, 2012, 08:11:08 PM ---Hmmm, wish my wife was into photog so I could justify buying more gear.  Second thought, maybe not, then she would know how much I'm spending.  ::)

--- End quote ---

Hehe, I hear ya.

Thanks folks. I will be keeping the 5D3. You are right, I may end up regretting plus may end up loosing more cash in the process if I had tried to sell it off. So the general consensus is the 17-40 it seems. Think its a good idea to rent both of these and see which one I like better? The only thing confusing me is how much field of view am I losing with the 17mm over the 16mm. Is it significant?

--- End quote ---

Maybe because flare isn't easily controlled especially if your subject happens to be near the source of light.  Vignetting however can be minimized with lens corrections.

Dylan777:

--- Quote from: killswitch on December 03, 2012, 08:56:54 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Hehe, I hear ya.

--- End quote ---

At f2.8, the sharpness is not that good. Compared to Nikon 14-24, their f2.8 is sharpner than mine at f5.6.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version