September 22, 2014, 12:30:22 AM

Author Topic: Brand spanking new  (Read 4345 times)

Canon_Wisconsin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Brand spanking new
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
I don't know why I thought it would be redundant, I just have read threads/reviews where people sold their 85mm after purchasing the 135, or they never used the 85 anymore. I guess that just speaks volumes on the awesomeness of the 135. But glad to hear you enjoy yours. :) I'll share some shots from mine once I get a chance.

No problem.  It probably, partially...has to do with the angle of view.  85mm on a full frame, is really not quite telephoto enough.  135 becomes more obviously telephoto.  It's just the right amount of telephoto to "flatten space", and to minimize perspective distortions on portraiture. 

However...It also has to do with the fact that the 85 f/1.2L doesn't autofocus very fast, yet it costs over $2000...It's a specialized lens with a more limited appeal.  The snobs who will never buy anything that isn't a luxury product, might never even try the 85mm f/1.8.  Or more specifically, they don't want to be seen at their shoot with anything that isn't either a white lens or a big black lens with a red line on it.  It's about street cred and the bling factor, more than anything else.

You would never see a video of one of the photographers for Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue, using a lens that is meant to be "second tier", whether it's much worse than the "first tier" or not.

Sort of why lawyers, executives, and account reps...have to buy a luxury car.  If they don't, then it's assumed they're not good at their job...so their reputation gets besmirched.  If they don't portray themselves to clients as a supreme success, then it invites criticism, and an assumption that they can't get the job done.  Or in my part of the country, they're not "running with the big dogs".

It's all window dressing.  Not pleasant to talk about, but true nonetheless.  It's also why immature, ignorant people with low IQ's watch "the kardashians" and other similar tv shows...raw envy.  Beauty and wealth appeal to people...at least until it comes time to vote.  Then the appeal is only for beauty!
[/quote]

Very true. I read reviews from two different photographers (who had credibility -- great images on their sites) who tried both the 85 f/1.8 and the 85 L f/1.2 and they preferred the 1.8! That, and price, convinced me it was a good buy. $359?? Can't beat it! :)
5D Mark II with battery grip, Canon 135L f/2, Canon 85 f/1.8 USM, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 SP XR Di LD, Tokina AT-X Pro FX 16-28 f/2.8, Canon 50 f/1.8; 430 EX II Speedlite

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »

Very true. I read reviews from two different photographers (who had credibility -- great images on their sites) who tried both the 85 f/1.8 and the 85 L f/1.2 and they preferred the 1.8! That, and price, convinced me it was a good buy. $359?? Can't beat it! :)

Indeed.  I chose to spend $239 on the Rokinon, and hope to sell it at some point for $220 or so.  If I was doing pro event photography, then I certainly would have bought the Canon f/1.8 instead...if not both it and perhaps the Sigma f/1.4.  Even if I was using an 85mm for most of my casual shooting, I probably would have bought the Canon f/1.8 instead...mostly due to the fast autofocus...because optically I doubt it is much superior to the Rokinon (which is based on an older Nikon design). 

But no doubt, at $359, the 1.8 has to be one of Canon's best selling lenses.  If it isn't, it should be.  Talk about blowing any of their silly EF-S zooms out of the water...!

Canon_Wisconsin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »
Thanks, Carl! Don't know how my quoting got all messed up. New girl here! /obvious  :)
5D Mark II with battery grip, Canon 135L f/2, Canon 85 f/1.8 USM, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 SP XR Di LD, Tokina AT-X Pro FX 16-28 f/2.8, Canon 50 f/1.8; 430 EX II Speedlite

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »
Haha, a lady!!  Welcome to the forum, I'm kinda new here myself.  Can I show you around?  Haha...

Yea the quoting is kind of nuts, I've managed to screw mine up a couple times also.  It's still not as bad as what I write myself!

Canon_Wisconsin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »
Haha, a lady!!  Welcome to the forum, I'm kinda new here myself.  Can I show you around?  Haha...

Yea the quoting is kind of nuts, I've managed to screw mine up a couple times also.  It's still not as bad as what I write myself!

Certainly! :)  I have major spring fever here. So much so that the last two nights, I dreamed of lenses. Yes, I'm dead serious! I cannot WAIT to get out with that 135. Daughter's b-day party on Saturday so I'll get some shots, although probably with the 85. We'll see. I do have off work tomorrow so I may have to take the kids out and see what I can capture, snow and all.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Snow has been awesome and beautiful via my 135, even though we don't get it as often down here.  I know you'll love yours!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »