July 22, 2014, 09:57:43 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II  (Read 22868 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:40 AM »
I got through the first page of posts without seeing it wasn't USM -- at first I thought it was in the same line as the 15-85/60 type lenses (which are a total credit to the EF-S format), but it's another entry level; oh well.

Well, on the upside, at least canon is actually announcing some things -- which were bound to be announced before the 5Dmk3 . . . so it's not all doom-and-gloom :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:40 AM »

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »
Post here from someone who actually owns a 55-250 and shoots a lot with it.

It's one of the great bargains in the Canon lineup.  250 mm, 300 grams, 300 bucks.  Great lens for travel and hiking, stuff where every gram counts.

AF is buzzy but fast and accurate in strong light.  On a 7D in servo mode I had no trouble at all keeping up with fast skiing action.  But indoors or if the light is flat, forget it.  This is a function of aperture, not the type of focus motor.

Sharpness is impressive given the price of the lens.  It's the only consumer telephoto lens I haven't been disgusted with.  And trust me I've tried quite a few over the years.  It's not quite as good as my 200/2.8 L, but it's close.  Even wide open the shots can be printed quite large, and withstand strong cropping.

Bokeh is not bad at 250 mm f/5.6.  Circular and nice distribution of light.  55 mm is not bad either, but the intermediate focal lengths give doughnut shapes.  Once you know this limitation you can work around it.  This isn't a primo portrait lens, but it isn't meant to be either.

Build quality is cheap.  But it's adequate.  The plastic mount only has to support 300 grams.  If you put it in a padded bag it'll survive months of backpacking, no problem.  I do a lot of backcountry skiing and I find plastics easier to deal with in extreme cold.  FWIW on one day at -30C/-20F plus snow my Tamron 17-50 autofocus motor seized (lens shot fine in MF, motor unseized once warmed up) but the 55-250 kept on ticking.

Looks like Canon's announcement is just a cosmetic change, like the 18-55 mk2 announced earlier.  Nothing to get excited about, nothing to get upset about either.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
Post here from someone who actually owns a 55-250 and shoots a lot with it.

It's one of the great bargains in the Canon lineup.

Excellent comments. I absolutely agree. In fact, I get a little frustrated with all the negative comments about "cheap consumer lenses" that seem to imply that the "average" consumer is a dunce and can't possibly appreciate quality.

This lens does what it does very well, which is consistently sharp pictures at very low cost. On top of that it even offers image stabilization. I strongly suspect that most of the people who are critical of this lens have never owned it.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 06:55:42 PM »
So i was bored and thought i'd do some comparisons of MTF charts from www.photozone.de all in one go.

efs 55-250, currently €220
ef 100-300, €320 (nearly a 55-250 plus a niftyfifty) (nb this one reviewed on the 350d)
ef 70-300 nonL, €470 (2x the 55-250)
ef 70-300L, €1350 (6x efs55-250 and a few crates of beer)

<well yeah, i did have a chart here, was just a screenshot comparing the MTF charts of the above 4 lenses side-by-side>

ok, so the focal lengths aren't all exactly the same, but here's my conclusions:

widest end, all fairly similar, maybe the 70-300 non-L is the loser. the 55-250 @ 250/5.6 is almost touching the L @70/5.6 in centre resolution. (100-300 is probably out-resolving the 350d it was tested on).

at 135mm the 55-250 is down a bit on resolution (but barrel/pin is almost nothing)

200mm, you get what you pay for, although the 2 cheapest lenses are roughly the same if you average centre/corner.

longest end gets interesting, the 100-300 falls apart, but it is the oldest. 55-250 beats the 70-300nonL. The L wins of course, but not by much at the longest end.

So coming from someone who doesn't own the 55-250 (i did own the 70-300 nonL and just upgraded to the L), i'm going to say i'm impressed for what it can do, for the price. But then, i'm also impressed with the newest 18-55IS kit lenses (given that they're the same price of a niftyfifty, which i also own and love).

<i also thought i had a comment about how canon did get a lot of flack for their first kit lenses, check the MTF of the first 18-55 non-IS models. but they've definitely made up for lost ground with the latest 18-55 IS, as well as the res of the 55-250>

and back to the USM vs non arguements, i think if you gave joe average who'd only ever used a point and shoot the option, faster focussing, sharper pictures, or both for a higher price, i'd say there's a fairly good chance he'd go for the sharper pictures (hey, i would too, normally).
my old point and shoot took about 2 seconds to focus every time. both the 50/1.8 and 70-300 non-L were blazing fast compared. between those two stepping up to the efs15-85 and 70-300L ringusm lenses, the difference is noticable (definitely quieter, and the speed is just noticably faster).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:10:54 PM by dr croubie »
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

macgregor mathers

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 06:54:54 AM »
I think Canon figures they'll sell Joe Average 3 or 4 clunkers before Joe realizes his IQ sucks.

Joe Average is likely to stick with a couple of clunkers, and be satisfied about it.

Many photographers see an APS-C body with an 18-55mm + 55-250mm as an upgrade from P&S / compact / bridge, and I know a couple of photographers who became sick & tired of carrying a DSLR and downgraded to a P&S.

ehouli

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »
Instead of this BS of cheap lenses, Canon should start rethinking their strategy of MP race and begin matching what Sony/Nikon/Pentax has done with the new 16MP APS-C Sensor...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »
So i was bored and thought i'd do some comparisons of MTF charts from www.photozone.de all in one go.

Not sure why your chart was deleted, but thanks for the summary! 

To be fair, you need to drop the 100-300mm out of the running.  Resolution in LW/PH is dependent on the sensor, so it's not valid to compare data from an 8 MP (100-300mm) with data from a 15 MP sensor (the other 3 lenses).

It seems the 70-300mm non-L also 'falls apart' at the long end compared to the 70-300 L, at least based on the TDP comparison (although that's on a FF body). 

I strongly suspect that most of the people who are critical of this lens have never owned it.

While it's true that I've never owned the EF-S 55-250mm, I did use one for a few days, on loan from a friend.  The test resulted from a comment by my wife after a trip out with our daughter, on which I brought my gripped 7D and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II.  She asked, "Do you have to bring that big, white thing with you everywhere?" (I assume she meant the lens.)  So I borrowed the unobtrusive 55-250mm and tried it out.  It was noisy, focused slowly, and I was not happy with the IQ.  On the other hand, shots I got with that lens were definitely superior to a point-and-shoot, and AF was much faster, too.  It's all relative.  For me, the small size is not really worth the trade off.  Even with a small lens, a 5DII or a 7D (even if I remove the grip) will never be a small, unobtrusive camera.  If I'm going to trade size for performance/IQ, I want the biggest size reduction I can get, so for those situations I bring the S95 instead.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
Not sure why your chart was deleted, but thanks for the summary! 

[/quote]

Copywrited material belonging to a different web site.  Permission should be obtained before posting someone's images, or a link might be appropriate.

hutjeflut

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »
wel some replies to some above posts as it feels needed.

i do own the mark 1 of this lens and i shot most of my photo's with this lens and always was satisfied with it untill i got my hands on a usm lens after that you cant simply go back and ignore the fact usm is by far supreme in any way and if 40 dollar is all it costs then it should be added.

i get that canon looks at sale fogures thats why they keep selling lenses that are sub par to what nikon offers in the same price range so people in the end want something better and buy a L as far as im concerned thats all canon thinks about.

as for people not wanting it wel it depends on how you look at it.
most people maby dont want to pay 40 dollar more on a kit however if you give em both in there hands 1 with and 1 without usm im fairly sure they will almost all got for the USM version and happily pay the 40 bucks extra.
people cant miss what they dont know excists but eventualy if they stick with a dslr they want something faster.

im not completely negative about this lens however i do believe canon is not doing the right thing by leaving out usm versions of there budged toppers.
i shot 3 years with micromotor lenses just fine and IQ/sharpness isnt a concern for me but focusing with thiese lenses is just awefull and thats why i am slowly upgrading all my lenses to higher end lenses not because of the IQ but because i want faster focusing.
go look at prices and check the gap in prices and lineup canon is leaving behind here just by not creating usm budged lenses.
pros will go for L lenses anyway so canon wont lose out there i dont need L build quality or looks i just need faster focus.
canon will also not get more money if i have to buy 3 L lenses to replace my current slow focus lenses as i can only spend x amount so all canon is doing is lowering the amount of units sold on the short term and forcing people offbrand.

anyway i hope canon one day willl see the light and add usm to all lenses or adds a usm series alongside the current lineup as now im fully into canon gear i cant hop to nikon as thats just to expencive so im pretty much forced to buy sigma/tamron/tokina lenses now as the L series is to expencive for the average person.
(i dont make a penny with my shots)

anyway lets just hope they get it soon the 50m 1.8 rumor upgrade would be a good start :)

Gothmoth

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
dont know why canon is making a new version of this lens when others need a replacement more urgent.   :o

hell im waiting for an improved 50mm f1.4 for so long......

not for me but i sell them.
and a better 50mm f1.4 would sure sell like sliced bread where i live. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:07:50 PM by Gothmoth »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
dont know why canon is making a new version of this lens when others need a replacement more urgent.   :o

This isn't a new version, optically or mechanically.  Nothing inside the lens has been updated - all the 'updates' (and those are few) are cosmetic and aimed at reducing the cost of producing the lens.  The reason is simple - profit.  Like the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens, which was also just 'updated' to a MkII version with the same changes applied here, Canon sells a LOT of these lenses, and so a slight decrease in the unit production cost translates to pure profit for the company. 

hutjeflut

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
this lens aperently has new coating wich is quite a good ide as the old ones coating in bright light could give a nasty flare (had this a lot with moonshots).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
this lens aperently has new coating wich is quite a good ide as the old ones coating in bright light could give a nasty flare (had this a lot with moonshots).

Do you have a source for that information?

If your source is the statement in the press release, "...the inclusion of an Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) lens element and Canon’s Super Spectra Coatings also ensure beautifully crisp, high contrast and glare-free images," you should be aware that the original version of the lens, released in 2007, has a UD element and Super Spectra Coatings (see the press release for the original version and the specs on dpreview).  Canon's 'new' coating is the sub-wavelength coating (SWC), and is not used in this lens.

I suppose if you thought the new lens was optically improved compared to the original, than the wordsmiths in Canon's marketing did their job well.  The literal semantic interpretation of, "...the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II reflects Canon’s premium design philosophy, with an enhanced exterior design and a number of premium technologies to ensure leading image quality," would mean that only the exterior design was enhanced, although the interpretation Canon probably wants to infer is that the 'premium technologies' are also enhanced relative to the original, that's not the case.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:57:00 PM by neuroanatomist »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
This isn't a new version, optically or mechanically.  Nothing inside the lens has been updated - all the 'updates' (and those are few) are cosmetic and aimed at reducing the cost of producing the lens.  The reason is simple - profit.  Like the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens, which was also just 'updated' to a MkII version with the same changes applied here, Canon sells a LOT of these lenses, and so a slight decrease in the unit production cost translates to pure profit for the company.

my posting was a rhetoric question......

and of course it´s a new version. it´s sold as "II".
so most average joe customers will think it´s a better version.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:28:01 PM by Gothmoth »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »