August 01, 2014, 08:19:20 AM

Author Topic: Normal Lens or High-End Compact?  (Read 2729 times)

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Normal Lens or High-End Compact?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
If you're taking photos with facebook or flickr as the only location of the end-product, you don't need a DSLR.

Sure you don't NEED a DSLR for Facebook pictures, sort of like you don't NEED electricity to survive, however I can always tell the difference.  Compare side-by-side a 5D3+85MM 1.2L vs an iPhone, and even if the pic is downsized to web quality through facebook, you will see a massive difference.

Ditto.  Everyone is motivated and driven by different needs and motivations and then they grow.  Don't rain on someone's parade just because they use a certain camera or post to a certain site.  The U.S. Whitehouse uses Flickr for Pete's sake!  (Ha, ha, get it?)  I for one am more embarassed about how much I've spent on my gear than what I haven't spent.  If I make great pictures at a wedding with my Rebel and the paid pro uses a 1D series, does that mean my pictures automatically suck?  Or do they just suck after I post them on facebook?  Facebook is simply a tool for sharing.  It doesn't dictate anything other than the desire to share with others.  It certainly doesn't dictate what camera should be used.

I don't NEED 90% of the stuff I have.  I made great pictures for years with various P&S cameras and a film Rebel that everyone enjoyed.  Now I feel I've grown and I prefer the DSLR.  But the best camera is still the one you actually use and have with you.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »
funny you ask this as I have been walking around a lot with my 70-200 and not bothering to take any other lens with me and using my iphone as my wide angle camera.  Seems to work for me, IQ is on par with just about any other mid range PS out there plus it has the advantage of being very light and something Id take with me anyway.  It also is the best PS on the market for taking the photograph, doing some quick pp through snapseed and off to my facebook or flickr accounts.  But if that doesn't work for you I'd invest in the 17-55 f2.8 IS over any of the wide to normal primes especially on APS C.  Its way more flexible and you don't lose much if anything in the IQ department.  My 17-55 was glued to my 7d.

Now that's just crazy talk right there!   :P  Kudos to you sir for keeping things in proper perspective!

If you're taking photos with facebook or flickr as the only location of the end-product, you don't need a DSLR.

...you see I was simply comparing an iphone to a mid range PS and noting the benefits that you can fire it off to facebook or flickr with the swipe of a finger.  Different strokes for different folks, I enjoy the portability of the iphone and not carrying around a bag full of lenses.  I know this may be sacrilegious to some but sometimes I don't even bring a camera on an outing :o as I enjoy the company of my wife and kids a lot more than taking photos  :)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »