July 30, 2014, 03:19:58 AM

Author Topic: Quick Release Systems - What's the best, most flexible way to go for a 5D3?  (Read 6851 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Hello all,

Another thread I had on  here, concerning monopods, leads me to ask on this thread..which way is the best way to go, with regards to QR systems?

I've started off with the Manfroto QR that came with my tripod.

I believe it is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-323-Connect-Adapter-200PL-14/dp/B001ASU1QO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354562188&sr=8-2&keywords=manfrotto+quick+release

I found this was not a great choice when trying to work with anything non-manfroto. I've gotten a steady cam system I was trying to work with...this plate with the release lever...is too low and doesn't really work on the steady came, as that it won't attach flat on the steady cam mount.

On the monopod thread it was suggested that I look at a more 'universal' QR system, the Arca Swiss type?

Is this truly something that will fit more tripids, monopods....and I have one of the Rhino sliders on the way soon...and will need a mount system for that, ...so, I think I'm at the point to figure which way to go, and the sound of something being more 'universal' is appealing to me.

Can someone give me the pros and cons of what you use...what is recommended and why?

Is the Arca the way to go? Is there only one type/model of these that I should get and does it fit with most any pieces of photo equipment out there?

For video and stills usage?

Thanks  in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
The Arca-Swiss system is as close to a universal system you'll find for QR plates/clamps.  Plates and clamps from Wimberely, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, Arca Swiss, Markins, AcraTech, Foba, and others are all interchangeable.  I have a mix of Wimberley and RRS plates on my bodies and collared lenses, and I use them with clamps/ballheads/etc. from Wimberley, RRS, and Kirk.  I've got a nice Manfrotto 468MG ballhead, came with a clamp for the Manfrotto RC2 plate, but I simply unscrewed that clamp and replaced with a Wimberley C-12 clamp, and all my plates fit.

On the Rhino slider you mentioned, there's a 3/8" stud - you'd simply attached a ballhead to that, with the appropriate clamp, and you're good to go.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PackLight

Arca Swiss is an entire system.

Yes go with something universal, which would be Arca Swiss. In the long run it will save you time and money as your components can work with all your gear.

There are many manufactures that make components Arca Swiss compatable.
Arca Swiss makes some fine gear as well, but it tends to be pricey. I buy all of my stuff Arca Swiss compatable now, that way I do not have to worry about compatability from one lens to the next. When I first started out I had heads from several manufactures, and it was a pain always switching plates and such to make a component work.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
The Arca-Swiss system is as close to a universal system you'll find for QR plates/clamps.  Plates and clamps from Wimberely, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, Arca Swiss, Markins, AcraTech, Foba, and others are all interchangeable.  I have a mix of Wimberley and RRS plates on my bodies and collared lenses, and I use them with clamps/ballheads/etc. from Wimberley, RRS, and Kirk.  I've got a nice Manfrotto 468MG ballhead, came with a clamp for the Manfrotto RC2 plate, but I simply unscrewed that clamp and replaced with a Wimberley C-12 clamp, and all my plates fit.

On the Rhino slider you mentioned, there's a 3/8" stud - you'd simply attached a ballhead to that, with the appropriate clamp, and you're good to go.

Thank you for the reply!!

Ok, so on all these brands...they say Arca Swiss compatible..or is there any other terms or code words I need to look for?

I just looked on amazon.com for "wemberly plate" and "kirk plate" and RRS plates and came up with nothing really. I found one brand of plate by "Desmond"...but was plate only.

Can someone post some links to the entire system plates and receivers so I could get a better idea what I"m looking for?

Again, thanks for all the feedback so far!!!

C

PackLight

So your not confused;

When they say it is Arca-Swiss compatable, they are refering only to the plate that attaches to your camera and that mounts to whatever set up you have. Not the overall system just the plate that holds your camera to the heads.

There are hundreds of diffrent configurations of ball heads and such, so we could show you hundreds of diffrent types of plates that will accept this kind of plate.

You linked a quick release plate earlier, and there are several manufactures that can supply those. I have one from Arca-Swiss, one from Wimberley and one made by Kirk. Kirk being the cheapest. Is this what you are talking about?

Wimberley's version really isnt the quick type clamp on the release, but this is what I prefer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687461-REG/Wimberley_C_12_C_12_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

GaryJ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I live in Aus and all my plates,L brackets and ball heads are all RRS,for my money the best I have used in over 32yrs shooting,go to the Really Right Stuff website and peruse your options.they also talk about the systems mentioned in this thread.
7D,6D,100mmL IS f2.8 Macro,70-300mm L,MPE-65, 24-105 f4 L,50mm f1.8,70-200mm L f4,Siggy 150mmf2.8 Macro, Tokina 11-16mm Kenko Extenders and 1.4 TC [for 70-300]

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Amazon isn't the place. B&H and Adorama carry Kirk, Wimberley, and most others. Really Right Stuff is sold only directly on their website, but their gear is excellent.

canon rumors FORUM

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile

Thank you for the reply!!

Ok, so on all these brands...they say Arca Swiss compatible..or is there any other terms or code words I need to look for?

I just looked on amazon.com for "wemberly plate" and "kirk plate" and RRS plates and came up with nothing really. I found one brand of plate by "Desmond"...but was plate only.

Can someone post some links to the entire system plates and receivers so I could get a better idea what I"m looking for?

Again, thanks for all the feedback so far!!!

C

The Arca Swiss system revolves around a plate machined from aluminum, which has a dovetail groove cut down the length of both sides. The plate attaches to your camera(s) and/or lens collar(s). The other part of the system is a clamp designed to securely hold the plate. That clamp is mounted on your ball head(s), macro rail, etc. Many different manufacturers make both, and so the price differences can be great.

Here is a cheap and solid clamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DAC-01-8-inch-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B005ZLOW8K/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1354575420&sr=1-2&keywords=clamp+arca+swiss

Here is a cheap and solid plate for a lens collar:
http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-LP-100-Release-Compat-Olympus/dp/B003SX7YW8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354575589&sr=1-7&keywords=plate+arca+swiss

You can get a universal plate for your camera, but it may rotate and it may interfere with access to your battery, card, electronic connections, etc. It is better to get a plate specifically designed for your camera. Everything else is universal. One more point. Many like clamps which are activated by a lever. They are very fast and convenient. However, since manufacturing tolerances between companies exist, a lever clamp may not work well for plates from another manufacturer. For this reason, I prefer a screw clamp. Hope this clears it up a little....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:47:52 PM by brad-man »

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
The other bit you need to consider is when you're running a strap or belt system.  I've used the RC-2 setup with the BlackRapid bits, but have moved elsewhere. It seems like CarrySpeed is the only one making a strap + plate for the Arca-Swiss set (F-1), while SpiderHolster has an addon plate that makes their plate Arca friendly (I just use the CarrySpeed F-1 plate with the SpiderHolder).  Spider also has a Arca clamp attachment that allows you to hang a RRS type setup off their belt.

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/f-1-foldable-mounting-plate
http://www.spiderholster.com/arca-swiss-clamp.html

The only catch I've found is to check how wide a Arca-Swiss clamp opens, as some are just a touch wider than others.  Some also have a safety lever that would prevent a camera from sliding out - it may or may not prevent 3rd party plates from being used.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
It seems like CarrySpeed is the only one making a strap + plate for the Arca-Swiss set (F-1), while SpiderHolster has an addon plate that makes their plate Arca friendly (I just use the CarrySpeed F-1 plate with the SpiderHolder).  Spider also has a Arca clamp attachment that allows you to hang a RRS type setup off their belt.

The OP's monopod thread mentioned a 70-200/2.8. I have a question for users of the CarrySpeed and/or SpiderHolster - how well do they work (if at all) when attached via the lens tripod collar?  Also, does the CarrySpeed plate twist?

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Release Systems - What's the best, most flexible way to go for a 5D3?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »
For what it's worth, I've used Arca Swiss for 20 years ?? But 2 years ago switched entirely to RRS, cant beat the gear these guys produce, remarkably Engineered (I'm an Engineer so appreciate this), all my Ball Heads, Plates. L Plates, QR Clamps, Flash Bracket System & Lens replacement foot are now RRS. I have two of their Monopod Safari Rig Clamps, to which I attach a pair of Wimberly Heads, cant fault this gear after 4 Africa Safaris, Antarctica twice, Arctic (North Pole) & Iceland/Svalbard trips in the last 2 years, faultless, highly recommended.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
Here is a link to some QR plates found on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=quick+release+plate+arca
There are adapters / conversions to convert Manfroto to Arca Swiss plates as well.  I use one made by Kirk on my Manfroto pistol grip head, and I use the LP Series plates sold by Rainbow on my lenses.  I also have a RRS lens plate, they are pretty much equal in quality, but the Rainbow is less expensive.

As for cheap tripod heads ...  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=quick+release+plate+arca
Induro makes a low cost head thats just OK, the RRS, Kirk, and other high end ones are supurb.  They will last a lifetime, so get the best.  The head is a really critical component.

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »
The OP's monopod thread mentioned a 70-200/2.8. I have a question for users of the CarrySpeed and/or SpiderHolster - how well do they work (if at all) when attached via the lens tripod collar?  Also, does the CarrySpeed plate twist?

The only method I can think of is to use the Spider clamp or the same Kirk clamps with the bracket or pin on the backside.  Still have that paranoid if it isn't tight fear though.

What do you mean by 'twist' with the CarrySpeed plate?
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »

The only method I can think of is to use the Spider clamp or the same Kirk clamps with the bracket or pin on the backside.  Still have that paranoid if it isn't tight fear though.

What do you mean by 'twist' with the CarrySpeed plate?

Makes sense, thanks.  Seems with the SpiderHolster, you'd just hang by the body plate, regardless.  Since I use an RRS L-bracket, I'll give their AS clamp some thought.

By twist I mean rotate in the tripod socket (it shouldn't do that).  The RRS plates/brackets have a lip that wraps over the edge of the camera bottom to prevent twisting.

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »
Ah - the plate doesn't twist.

The CarrySpeed F-1 plate is all that and a bag of chips.  Only downside is the Arca 'length' is 1.75" long - I'd like a longer one.  This is the F-1 plate on a 100-400 sitting in a Wimberley Arca clamp, with the BlackRapid bit on the side.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »