August 31, 2014, 06:44:06 AM

Author Topic: Quick Release Systems - What's the best, most flexible way to go for a 5D3?  (Read 7063 times)

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Release Systems - What's the best, most flexible way to go for a 5D3?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »

Makes sense, thanks.  Seems with the SpiderHolster, you'd just hang by the body plate, regardless.  Since I use an RRS L-bracket, I'll give their AS clamp some thought.

By twist I mean rotate in the tripod socket (it shouldn't do that).  The RRS plates/brackets have a lip that wraps over the edge of the camera bottom to prevent twisting.

So the Spider plate does have those ledges, but the CarrySpeed has some grippy rubber in the base.  Here's the bottom of both - CarrySpeed being black, Spider being silver.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »

AdamJ

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »
Just a note of caution to the OP. You will see Giottos AS clamps and plates in a lot of places but I'd advise you to avoid them. Their clamps have shallower shoulders than the usual AS standard, making them incompatible with the AS plates from most other brands.

You mentioned Desmond which is one of many brands applied to a generic Chinese AS clamp. They are an excellent budget option - very solidly made with a well designed clamp mechanism. However, they usually don't come with the 3/8" bolt to mount it to your head and you will have a hard time finding a suitably sized bolt (forget Home Depot!).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
@ Halfrack - thanks!!!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 02:17:57 AM »
The OP's monopod thread mentioned a 70-200/2.8. I have a question for users of the CarrySpeed and/or SpiderHolster - how well do they work (if at all) when attached via the lens tripod collar?  Also, does the CarrySpeed plate twist?

The only method I can think of is to use the Spider clamp or the same Kirk clamps with the bracket or pin on the backside.  Still have that paranoid if it isn't tight fear though.

What do you mean by 'twist' with the CarrySpeed plate?

Makes sense, thanks.  Seems with the SpiderHolster, you'd just hang by the body plate, regardless.  Since I use an RRS L-bracket, I'll give their AS clamp some thought.

By twist I mean rotate in the tripod socket (it shouldn't do that).  The RRS plates/brackets have a lip that wraps over the edge of the camera bottom to prevent twisting.

The OP's monopod thread mentioned a 70-200/2.8. I have a question for users of the CarrySpeed and/or SpiderHolster - how well do they work (if at all) when attached via the lens tripod collar?  Also, does the CarrySpeed plate twist?

I have no experience with any CarrySpeed products.  I've been using BlackRapid straps.  I have a SpiderPro Dual Camera System.  SpiderPro plates do not twist because of the lips that wrap over the front edge of the camera.  If you want to use the plate/s, you can get the http://www.spiderholster.com/arca-swiss-adapter.html
I didn't want to negate the use of my L-bracket so I chose to get their http://www.spiderholster.com/arca-swiss-clamp.html
I love the fact that the pins on the clamp do not rotate.
Hope these pics help illustrate real-world use.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »
Hmm.

Ok, I'm getting more and more confused now. What is the talk here about straps? What are they used for (or are these just straps you hang the camera around your neck with...if so, there are specialized versions of those?)

Also, what are L-brackets...what are they used for?

For now, I'm just trying to figure the best system to use my camera quickly to attatch to my current tripod, Manfrotto Basic 055XDB Tripod (Black) Outfit with 128RC (3130) Micro Fluid Head http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V7H8R0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00....

...my soon to arrive Rhino Slider (I still need to figure a good head to mount to this...(suggestions welcome).

And to hook to my cheapo glide cam I wanted to try out: Opteka SteadyVid PRO Video Stabilizer System for Digital Cameras, Camcorders and DSLR's   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FDE4Y8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00  The current plate and bracket system from Manfroto I got won't fit flat on it...

Also, I think I am going to soon spring for the monopod recommended on the other thread I had:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-561BHDV-1-Fluid-Video-Monopod/dp/B003YM04NO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3V9PVCC4ABLEP&coliid=I2PQPESJS56Q6C

So, will need a bracket for that...figuring one plate for the camera....and brackets for the tripod, monopod (to be), Rhino slider (to be delivered), and Optika steadi cam....

Thanks in advance...I'm a noob and sometimes have to have things explained  a couple times, and often I get new questions on the answers to the old ones.

:)

cayenne

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
Ok, I'm getting more and more confused now. What is the talk here about straps? What are they used for (or are these just straps you hang the camera around your neck with...if so, there are specialized versions of those?)
That was me, I think...   ;)  Yes, I am talking about a strap you use to hang your camera from your body, Blackrapid and Carryspeed are alternatives to the neck strap that put the weight on your shoulder rather than your neck (a lot more comfortable); the Spider system is an alternative that clips the camera to a belt, putting the weight on your hips.  If you're carrying around a Rebel and kit lens, the weight isn't such a big deal...but if you hang a body + 70-200/2.8 from your neck, you'll likely end up with some discomfort or worse, and personally I don't like that much bulk dangling on my chest (although there are also chest harness options, e.g. Cotton Carrier). 

Most of the neck strap alternatives attach to the camera via the tripod socket - and that creates an issue for quick-release tripod plates.  There are options that don't use the tripod strap, e.g. BosStrap, but AFAIK they cannot be attached to the lens collar foot, which is a far better way to carry a heavy lens from a strap (better balance).

Personally, I use Blackrapid straps.  I have Kirk 1" clamps (Arca-Swiss type) on the emds of the straps, so I can simply attach the strap to the plates that are on my cameras and lenses, and easily remove the strap when I want to mount to a tripod/monopod.

Also, what are L-brackets...what are they used for?
An L-bracket provides a vertical mounting surface, so you can easily mount the camera to a tripod in portrait orientation, with better balance than using a drop notch on a ballhead, and the ability to do pano shots in portrait orientation.  Great for photos, but I don't think that orientation is very useful for video shooting. 

Just like camera base plates, there are 'universal' and camera-specific L-brackets.  While universal base plates are ok, the generic L-brackets are not so good (they tend either block access to ports on the side of the camera, or stick way out to avoid blocking those ports).

So, will need a bracket for that...figuring one plate for the camera....and brackets for the tripod, monopod (to be), Rhino slider (to be delivered), and Optika steadi cam....

Seems you have one head and one plate, and are about to order at least three more things you want to attach your camera to, and you just got a lens with a tripod collar.  That means you'll soon have 2 attachment points (plates) for 4 different supports (clamps) - and that's the sort of thing where you really want a QR system!

I had many plates and clamps in the Manfrotto RC-2 system, plus 4 Blackrapid FastenR-T1 lugs, and I sold them all when I switched to the Arca Swiss-type system.  But...I have no regrets about switching.  You're basically at the jumping off point now.  So, you're asking these questions at the right time, before you spend a lot of money on one system and then outgrow it. 

Down to specifics, it looks like the fluid head you have can only take an RC2 (aka 200PL) plate - that's pretty common for many of Manfrotto's heads, only their higher end ones can take a non-Manfrotto clamp.

The Rhino slider needs a head (a ballhead, I'd think), and the Opteka steadycam-like accessory needs a clamp.  So in both cases, you can choose your clamp.

The monopod/head you link uses a Manfrotto 501PL plate.  That's a different plate than the tripod fluid head you have, and the two of them are not interchangeable.  So right there, you see...even within the Manfrotto line, you've got two different plate+clamp designs, and you have to unscrew one plate and mount another to go from tripod to monopod (or stack a clamp on a plate, see below).  That completely defeats the purpose of a QR system, IMO, and is why the Arca-Swiss system is better.

You have some choices ahead, and probably more research.  One tip - Kirk makes 'conversion' clamps for Manfrotto.  Their SQRC-3157 is an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp that will take any AS-type plate, and has a Manfrotto RC-2 plate built into the bottom - you could clamp that into your tripod head, then clamp any AS plate into it.  The SQRC-501PL does the same thing for the Manfrotto 501 clamp on the monopod you link.  Both are available from Kirk or from B&H/Adorama.  If you clicked the links, you noticed that unfortunately they aren't cheap (those two conversion clamps together cost more than the monopod/head combo you linked). 

The Manfrotto systems are cheaper, although the quality isn't as good and as stated, they aren't cross-compatible within the lines.  The workaround is to pick whichever of the clamps (RC2 or 501PL) you have more of, then use the plates for that clamp on your camera/lenses.  Assuming that's the RC2, the way to convert between the RC2 and 501PL, for example, is to get a clamp for the RC2 (called Manfrotto 323), then connect a 501PL plate to the bottom of that.  Then you drop that plate+clamp into the monopod head, and attach your camera or lens to the 323 clamp.

Once you decide on Manfrotto vs. an AS system, we can help with clamp choices, etc.  There again, though, the Manfrotto is the 'value' option - the 323 clamp is $33, Kirk/Wimberley/RRS screw clamps are in the $60-80 range, and RRS lever clamps are mostly >$100.

Hope that helps...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
I didn't want to negate the use of my L-bracket so I chose to get their http://www.spiderholster.com/arca-swiss-clamp.html

Hope these pics help illustrate real-world use.

Thaks, Dwight - that helps a lot!  So much, in fact, that I just ordered the SpiderPro LowePro Belt Adapter Kit and the Spider Arca-Swiss Clamp.   :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
Hi Cayenne,

I was in the same boat you're in - looking for an universal plate that works with both Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss.

The M-plate from Customer SLR did exactly that:

http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro#.UL5NQ5PjlvY

Check out the video to see how it works.

I also use their C-Loop + Slip Strap sling setup in conjunction with the plate. Couldn't be happier these days! :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:32:21 PM by THX723 »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
Hi Cayenne,

I was in the same boat you're in - looking for an universal plate that works with both Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss.

The M-plate from Customer SLR did exactly that:

http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro#.UL5NQ5PjlvY

Check out the video to see how it works.

I also use their C-Loop + Slip Strap sling setup in conjunction with the plate. Couldn't be happier these days! :)

You beat me to it THX723!!  I was just about to mention the M-plate!  How do you like it?  I've been considering getting one.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »

The M-plate from Customer SLR did exactly that

Great find, thanks! 

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
It has been a real delight with the M-Plate.

Fact is I much prefer Arca-Swiss clamps for general use, but there have been times the click-n-lock nature of the Manfrotto RC2 is desirable. Now I have both-in-one. What a brilliant and well crafted piece of alloy!

Equally clever is the non-interfering attachment point for sling-strap systems (e.g. C-Loop, BlackRapid), making it unnecessary to first unscrew the ‘ring’ before mounting to the tripod clamp (a tedious ordeal). The unique position of the attachment point also shifts the center of gravity favorably so the camera-lens is balanced horizontally, rather than at an awkward tilt (really annoying).

5-stars.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 05:31:31 PM »
It has been a real delight with the M-Plate.

Fact is I much prefer Arca-Swiss clamps for general use, but there have been times the click-n-lock nature of the Manfrotto RC2 is desirable. Now I have both-in-one. What a brilliant and well crafted piece of alloy!

Equally clever is the non-interfering attachment point for sling-strap systems (e.g. C-Loop, BlackRapid), making it unnecessary to first unscrew the ‘ring’ before mounting to the tripod clamp (a tedious ordeal). The unique position of the attachment point also shifts the center of gravity favorably so the camera-lens is balanced horizontally, rather than at an awkward tilt (really annoying).

5-stars.

Post some pictures!  Sounds great!  (Make sure you have an attractive model to show off how well it works when worn!)   ;D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

jhenderson0107

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

Personally, I use Blackrapid straps.  I have Kirk 1" clamps (Arca-Swiss type) on the emds of the straps, so I can simply attach the strap to the plates that are on my cameras and lenses, and easily remove the strap when I want to mount to a tripod/monopod.

I use a BR strap and RRS L-bracket also.  While I have some Kirk 1" clamps, I am very concerned that the Kirk plate could loosen enough during use for the camera to slide out of the dovetail and drop.  There are no safety screws on the RRS L bracket.  Your thoughts on this? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
I've never had the Kirk clamp loosen, even a little.  When mounted to the body, I have the knob under the lens, and when mounted to the lens plate, the knob is on the side swag from my body.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I'm looking at a good deal on a manfrotto monopod and maybe a 2nd fluid head.

They use 501PL and 504PL plates they say...are these interchangeable for the same bases? ARe these arca swiss compatible?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM