December 20, 2014, 02:44:36 PM

Author Topic: What real Pros shoot...  (Read 26790 times)

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: What real Pros shoot...
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »
Clearly IQ isn't the most important thing in photojournalism. It's all about capturing stories. Canon is great for this because of the speed and ergonomics. Some of those pictures aren't the greatest compositionally, creatively, etc, but they tell a story. Obviously stats from say studio photographers are going to be totally different.

Pretty obvious stuff, and I don't even know anything.

Even if that is a valid point, Nikon seems dramatically under-represented in the stats.  There must be some other reason for that.  If the photos are largely shot by Reuters staff togs, that may be due to a business relationship between Reuters and Canon.  If you think purely of large sports events - there are not that dramatically more big white lenses than black ones in the photos that circulate the web.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
Just to play devils advocate here. The most used knives in the world of professional chefs are Victorinox, and that has not much to do with excellence in steel or sharpness. It has to do with the fact that Victorinox has been very successful in pushing out knives set (suitcases with basic, intermidiate, and advanced sets) to pretty much cooking students all over :) They can get away with a basic suitcase for the same price as two Kai Shun knives...
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

sleepnever

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »
I'm really surprised at the use of f/2.8 out of everything there. I thought for sure f/4 would be the most prominent.
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

Zlatko

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »
Just to play devils advocate here. The most used knives in the world of professional chefs are Victorinox, and that has not much to do with excellence in steel or sharpness. It has to do with the fact that Victorinox has been very successful in pushing out knives set (suitcases with basic, intermidiate, and advanced sets) to pretty much cooking students all over :) They can get away with a basic suitcase for the same price as two Kai Shun knives...
That's a fair point.  Popularity doesn't prove superiority.  Indeed, I think most photographers could quickly adapt to systems from any of the major camera makers and produce equally good work.  Likewise, the work doesn't prove superiority, as the Nikon and Canon pictures in the set are of equal quality.

However, I'm not sure how far your knife analogy extends to the camera world.  I'm not aware of Canon pushing out super-cheap gear to photography students.  There may well be a deal between them and Reuters, though clearly some of the photographers are still shooting other brands notwithstanding any such deal.

I am aware of huge student discounts offered by Adobe on their software.  At the same time, many professionals would buy Adobe's Photoshop and Lightroom without ever having received a student discount.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
its not the camera that makes the difference it is the guy pressing the button

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »

That is why I am wondering if the preponderance of Canon in the stats is due to a commercial arrangement between Reuters and Canon.  For instance, does Reuters have an arrangement with Canon, which gives Reuters staff access to preferential pricing from Canon?
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
Clearly IQ isn't the most important thing in photojournalism. It's all about capturing stories. Canon is great for this because of the speed and ergonomics. Some of those pictures aren't the greatest compositionally, creatively, etc, but they tell a story. Obviously stats from say studio photographers are going to be totally different.

Pretty obvious stuff, and I don't even know anything.

Even if that is a valid point, Nikon seems dramatically under-represented in the stats.  There must be some other reason for that.  If the photos are largely shot by Reuters staff togs, that may be due to a business relationship between Reuters and Canon.  If you think purely of large sports events - there are not that dramatically more big white lenses than black ones in the photos that circulate the web.

Yeah I suspect there must be a business deal between Canon and Reuters.  There was a time when pro sports shooters were almost all Canon for their superior auto focus (that's one of the reasons Canon became the world leader in photography).  However the difference is marginal at best now days, and I would expect too see more Nikon in that list.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
Interesting that the 2 most popular lenses are the 16-35 and 70-200.  My guess is that they are the most useful for storytelling, and make an efficient combination together.

Most of the photojournalists and wedding photographers I know/have seen work use the 16-35mm and the 70-200 combo.  I think it's largely because 40-65mm tends to be a kind of boring range.  It's the normal range that we are all used to seeing.  16-35mm is great for capturing a subject and their environment, and 70-200mm is great for subject isolation (and getting closer when you physically can't).   It's the combo I would choose to shoot with if I did photojournalism. 
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

AdamJ

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »

That is why I am wondering if the preponderance of Canon in the stats is due to a commercial arrangement between Reuters and Canon.  For instance, does Reuters have an arrangement with Canon, which gives Reuters staff access to preferential pricing from Canon?

It's my understanding that Reuters' tool of trade, supplied to and used by their staff photographers, is Canon.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
It's my understanding that Reuters' tool of trade, supplied to and used by their staff photographers, is Canon.

"The problem with quotations found on the internet is that they're rarely accurate." ~ Winston Churchill, 1941

;D Hilarious...I finally noticed the author and date of the quote..LOL
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:30:05 PM by serendipidy »
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »

How did you come to that understanding?  Can you give us some link or proof?  We want to be enlightened also.  I wonder about those photogs in Reuters that weren't using Canon.  Maybe, they are rebels...  oops... that's Canon.  :D

AdamJ

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »

How did you come to that understanding?  Can you give us some link or proof?  We want to be enlightened also.  I wonder about those photogs in Reuters that weren't using Canon.  Maybe, they are rebels...  oops... that's Canon.  :D

I thought it was common knowledge but now that you ask, I can only offer circumstantial evidence. I've seen images of various Reuters inventory over the years and as far as I recall, it has always been Canon, though I'm happy to be corrected. You may recall Reuters' 1DX motorised rigs for the Olympic swimming, and here's an inventory sample from the royal wedding.

If you search "reuters photographer" on Youtube, you'll be hard-pressed to find Reuters stickers on anything other than Canon gear. They do have a Nikon 1200-1700mm zoom but even that is converted to a Canon fit.

http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/archives/8068

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »
Looks like Reuters has almost as much Canon stuff as Neuro does ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »

I thought it was common knowledge but now that you ask, I can only offer circumstantial evidence. I've seen images of various Reuters inventory over the years and as far as I recall, it has always been Canon, though I'm happy to be corrected. You may recall Reuters' 1DX motorised rigs for the Olympic swimming, and here's an inventory sample from the royal wedding.

If you search "reuters photographer" on Youtube, you'll be hard-pressed to find Reuters stickers on anything other than Canon gear. They do have a Nikon 1200-1700mm zoom but even that is converted to a Canon fit.

http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/archives/8068

I'm just playing around... :)  But I've got this friend who's a field reporter for Reuters in Philippines.  She just told me that Reuters photogs prefers Canon bodies just because they already have a lot of Canon lenses collected since the time Canon first adopted AF.  They didn't mind changing to other system because of that.  Some new photogs are using Nikon but not much since they can't take advantage of some lenses that are available already to them.  I guess you can say that they don't mind the brand.  What they really mind is that there's an equipment they can use right away.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
If you search "reuters photographer" on Youtube, you'll be hard-pressed to find Reuters stickers on anything other than Canon gear.

For a photojournalist, the most important thing is to get the shot.  It seems clear that Reuters, one of the world's premiere news agencies, believes that Canon is the best choice for that demanding task - the best gear for the job.

But, apparently, Nikon makes a better monopod cover.   :P :P :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »