December 17, 2014, 09:56:15 PM

Author Topic: No RAW support for the 6D in DPP.....shame  (Read 3676 times)

symmar22

No RAW support for the 6D in DPP.....shame
« on: December 05, 2012, 05:42:49 AM »
I posted yesterday to ask if anyone had link to a serious review of the 6D. Marsu42 reminded me that tests take time (he's right) and that we must wait for a Raw converter to get answers.

It took me some time, but then I realized Canon is selling the 6D WITHOUT having updated DPP. I can understand that Adobe or DxO need time to release an update for their RAW engine, but that Canon is selling a new 2000$ DSLR without a proper DPP is for me simply shocking. It's a bit like selling a brand new  car that is limited to 20Mph until its fixed....soon.

I find the commercial method unacceptable, such a camera should not hit the stores without a RAW converter. The 6d will likely be a very decent camera, but without RAW, it's a beta version of a product. Will we soon be buying non working cameras where the firmware will be released 1 month later ?

That was my complain of the day, feel free to comment..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:44:27 AM by symmar22 »

canon rumors FORUM

No RAW support for the 6D in DPP.....shame
« on: December 05, 2012, 05:42:49 AM »

prjkt

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: No RAW support for the 6D in DPP.....shame
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »
I'd get your facts straight... my 6D raw files were read straight out of the DPP version bundled with my 6D... (3.12.51.1)

EDIT: btw, just how did you "realise" this?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:46:07 AM by prjkt »
6D/600D/Tokina 11-16 2.8/Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC/Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS/EF 28mm 2.8/EF 40mm 2.8/EF 50mm 1.8

Gothmoth

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »
It took me some time, but then I realized Canon is selling the 6D WITHOUT having updated DPP. I can understand that Adobe or DxO need time to release an update for their RAW engine, but that Canon is selling a new 2000$ DSLR without a proper DPP is for me simply shocking. It's a bit like selling a brand new  car that is limited to 20Mph until its fixed....soon.

I find the commercial method unacceptable, such a camera should not hit the stores without a RAW converter. The 6d will likely be a very decent camera, but without RAW, it's a beta version of a product. Will we soon be buying non working cameras where the firmware will be released 1 month later ?

checking the facts FIRST often saves a lot of time.... and makes people look less trollish. :)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »
I posted yesterday to ask if anyone had link to a serious review of the 6D. Marsu42 reminded me that tests take time (he's right) and that we must wait for a Raw converter to get answers.

That was my complain of the day, feel free to comment..

Are you sure this is not operator error?  :-\
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
Shame... but nobody's perfect.  Symmar22, just learn from your mistakes.  cheers!   ;D

symmar22

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
OK, I DEEPLY apologize; no intention to troll though. No "operator" mistake, since I don't actually own the 6D. The confusion came from the fact the first RAW I saw seemed to have been converted with Capture One. The FACT is on the 6D Canon download page, there is no DPP software, only Photo Stitch. My bad, I'll be more careful next time. Once again, I apologize if I hurt anybody's feeling (by the way trollers do not apologize usually). I had a bad morning, I promise it won't happen again.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:02 AM »
the other general lesson learned here, is to not post huge statements about equipment that is unowned / unused.  I can't even guess at how many times inflammatory stuff has been posted, and then a few pages in we all find out the OP has never even seen the piece of equipment in person, but they "heard" or they "read" about it.

not trying to jump on you, just hoping everyone learns from this.  I sincerely hope you have a better day!  sometimes bad mornings are good for lowering expectations  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:02 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
The FACT is on the 6D Canon download page, there is no DPP software, only Photo Stitch.

Yes, and that FACT is true for just about every RAW-capable camera that Canon releases.  For example, my PowerShot S95 came with DPP v3.9 on the included disc.  That version added some nice features, like the * to ***** ratings and unsharp mask in the RAW tab.  But, it was close to 2 months before that version became available for download from Canon - and it was 3.9.2 by then. 

I think the pattern is that a new version of DPP ships with newly-released cameras (as it must, otherwise it would be unacceptable and shocking, as you stated), but the download is not available until that new version is further updated.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

symmar22

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
the other general lesson learned here, is to not post huge statements about equipment that is unowned / unused.  I can't even guess at how many times inflammatory stuff has been posted, and then a few pages in we all find out the OP has never even seen the piece of equipment in person, but they "heard" or they "read" about it.

not trying to jump on you, just hoping everyone learns from this.  I sincerely hope you have a better day!  sometimes bad mornings are good for lowering expectations  :D

You are absolutely right here, I should have asked a question instead of making a statement. Never comment about something you do not know. I know the rule, but obviously forgot it this morning. At least I hope some will see my efforts to apologize and  recognize my ability to admit my mistakes.

Thanks Neuro for the further explanation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »