October 23, 2014, 03:42:49 PM

Author Topic: 6D vs 5Diii today...  (Read 9983 times)

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
6D vs 5Diii today...
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:40 AM »
So I'm going to town tonight to buy a new camera...

It's either going to be the 6D or 5Diii (body only)

which do I purchase? reading reviews from the last few days of people getting their hands on the 6D has got me stumped. It should be pretty clean cut and I should just go for the 5Diii but there are a few things holding me back.

I'm currently shooting with a 7D and 60D (until yesterday when I sold the 60D) 90% of my glass is EF so that's not an issue, what is an issue is the following:

pro 5Diii :

sharper images at higher iso (from what we've been presented with so far although the 6D handles noise a little better apparently)
better weather sealing/build
better button configuration on the back.
reputedly better focussing system (although I very rarely use any point apart from centre, I'm old school)
CF card for faster raw processing time

pro 6D :

Wifi (it may not seem much but linking straight to an ipad on location and using a mobile for remote shooting could come in real handy)
Cheaper
handles noise better at high iso (reportedly, but images are a little softer than 5Diii)

I shoot a hell of a lot of stuff, gigs, weddings, events and product. I'm always going to keep the 7D for sports/wildlife so fps isn't an issue for me, mainly the better high iso handling which is one of the only reasons for upgrading to full frame. I'm a firm believer in photographer > gear but I like a bit of technology and anything that makes life a little easier (and that points to the 6D).

Plus if I get a 6D I'll just get the piss ripped out of me by "pro's" tottering around with their 5Diii's  ;)

any advice in the next 6 hours would be greatly appreciated

5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

6D vs 5Diii today...
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:40 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: 6D vs 5Diii today...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »
So I'm going to town tonight to buy a new camera...

It's either going to be the 6D or 5Diii (body only)

which do I purchase? reading reviews from the last few days of people getting their hands on the 6D has got me stumped. It should be pretty clean cut and I should just go for the 5Diii but there are a few things holding me back.

I'm currently shooting with a 7D and 60D (until yesterday when I sold the 60D) 90% of my glass is EF so that's not an issue, what is an issue is the following:

pro 5Diii :

sharper images at higher iso (from what we've been presented with so far although the 6D handles noise a little better apparently)
better weather sealing/build
better button configuration on the back.
reputedly better focussing system (although I very rarely use any point apart from centre, I'm old school)
CF card for faster raw processing time

pro 6D :

Wifi (it may not seem much but linking straight to an ipad on location and using a mobile for remote shooting could come in real handy)
Cheaper
handles noise better at high iso (reportedly, but images are a little softer than 5Diii)

I shoot a hell of a lot of stuff, gigs, weddings, events and product. I'm always going to keep the 7D for sports/wildlife so fps isn't an issue for me, mainly the better high iso handling which is one of the only reasons for upgrading to full frame. I'm a firm believer in photographer > gear but I like a bit of technology and anything that makes life a little easier (and that points to the 6D).

Plus if I get a 6D I'll just get the piss ripped out of me by "pro's" tottering around with their 5Diii's  ;)

any advice in the next 6 hours would be greatly appreciated
5D3.

Already in the field for a fair amount of time and issues are known. Firmware upgrades already tested in the field. So it is a known devil. It is a great camera. I have one an love it. I am sure you will too - and not because some Pro's are carrying it around :)
Oh and f8 AF in Feb!

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
If budget is not an issue, 5D III is the way to go. Besides 61pts, 5D III has better center AF(dual-cross) much more precise for low light and tracking.

I tried the 6D at the local camera, it doesn't feel right. It much smaller than my 5D III and feels like plastic. Did I mentioned, there is no joystick :-[
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:54:05 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »
I have not seen or handled the 6d.  It does look to have some pretty good features.  That said, I do have the 5DIII and I can say that there is not a more versatile camera out there in its price class.  Excellent high ISO, good FPS, enough MP for very many types of shooting.   Very good deals can be had too.

-Brian

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
Depends on your needs.  Just be reminded that there are a lot of lenses that you can get for $1K.  If you really need the AF of 5D3 then by all means, go for it.  If you think 6D AF is enough though, you can spend your 1K for some very good lens instead.  For me, a Canon MPE-65 comes to mind.  :)

schmidtfilme

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • 35photo
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
Clearly the 6D. Much cheaper, same picture, lighter, nicer body, plus the wifi and GPS comes in handy.
5D Mark III
17-40/24-105/70-200 all f4

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
It's not much cheaper.. at least not right now.  Maybe if you're buying from a local shop thats still selling the mkiii for $3500....

Considering youre buying right now, you can get the 5DIII for only $400 more than the 6D... I think it's a clear winner.  If it were still a $1500 price difference and you dont care about the more advanced AF, the answer might be different. 

If youre looking hard enough, you can find the 5DIII for $2500 or slightly more.  Even less if youre willing to buy the kit and resell the 24-105.  I'm surprised how many people seem to be still buying the 6D right now with the smallish price gap
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »
Clearly the 6D. Much cheaper, same picture, lighter, nicer body, plus the wifi and GPS comes in handy.

In which way?
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »

Same picture in a fully lit studio setting maybe..  It has worse low light, and less advanced AF which [theoretically, anyway..] leads to more grain and blur.  Nicer body if you prefer plastic over magnesium (6D is partially plastic to accomodate the wifi and GPS antennae).  GPS and wifi are cool, but also possible on any camera with external attachments if you don't want to sacrifice build quality.

Just playing devils advocate...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:06:45 AM by Jay Khaos »
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:33 AM »

In which way?

I think he's referring to 6D being smaller, a purely subjective trait.  5D3 is bigger and more robust.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »
There's going to be lots of opinions both ways.

First, let's assume that the OP is planning to buy the camera in 6 hours at the local store he's going to since that is what he said.  So that rules out the $2499 deals online we've seen where many folks haven't received the camera yet two weeks later.  (And I sorta fall into that category since I got mine on a $2899 deal about 6 weeks ago.)  This makes the price difference likely around $1000 for the sake of argument.

I agree with the 6D folks.  Why?  Why not?  Spend $1000 less first and use the camera for 3-6 months.  If it satisfies you, you're good.  If you're still not sure, buy the 5D3, compare them and sell the one you don't want.  Since I got my 5D3, I'm planning on getting the 6D myself and compare them later after the holidays slow down.  Then I very well may sell my 5D3 if I can.  Either way, I'll know for myself.  I'm still not 100% convinced the 5D3 is worth another $1000.  These are both great cameras.  Don't buy more than you need.  Impress the other pros that are ripping the piss out of you with a cool lens!

Some of the minor things to consider would be CF cards vs SD cards.  The 7D uses CF but the 6D doesn't.  (The 5D3 uses both.)  They both use the same battery.  Since you are a center focus point shooter (like me), the AF is not as big of an issue and likely low light is the main thing that matters.  Since you have the 7D for fps, you're good there.  Both cameras shoot 3 fps in silent mode which is what often matters to me.  Will the WiFi/GPS matter to you?  I'm intrigued by the WiFi for wireless tethering and file backup on the fly to a phone or tablet.  The GPS probably not so much but you never know since I shoot so much scout camping, etc.  I wouldn't worry as much about durability as I would about ergonomics for your hand and how comfortable you feel using the controls.  Make sure you go through the menus and see if anything totally throws you or is missing.

I would go online and skim both manuals before you go to the store so you'll already know what to expect.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
Thanks folks, some differing opinions there, all valid.

the prices locally (body only) are:

5Diii - £2339
6D - £1789

a difference of £550 which could go towards some nice 2nd hand glass if I opt for the 6D

the shots I'm really getting it for are the dark church wedding ones. high up windows, dark walls, high ceilings, no flash/bounce where iso has to be 1600/3200/6400 even with my 50mm 1.4

I know there are cheaper ones online, digitalrev.com has the 5Diii in at £1900 and procamerashop.co.uk has it for a staggering £1898 but I'm very sceptical about their origins as they all seem to be in the far east and I like the idea of having a local shop for communication if there are any problems or everything goes wrong.
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
5d II w/ 60D ergos = 6D

Ehhhhh.... >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »
5d II w/ 60D ergos = 6D

Ehhhhh.... >:(
I'm not so sure the 6D is THAT bad (jury is still out on actual 6D performance) but I agree that the 60D ergos are totally different from the 5D series.  I still have to adjust to the 60D when I use it, it's much different from the 5D series.  So he will have that to consider when he goes from 7D to 6D and back.

If you don't need the GPS/WiFi and money isn't an issue, get the 5D3, it's a better match in many ways to the 7D.  Feel, CF cards, batteries, menus, etc.  However, if the 6D features and the price are significant, get the 6D, buy some UHS-1 SD cards and see how it goes.

My point is that either way you will likely enjoy the camera and the other body is always there to buy locally if you want to switch later.  And since both are available, why not save $1000 while you're using/evaluating?  Unless all the stuff you shoot requires the extras the 5D3 gives you and you feel your work will suffer without it that is...  At the end of the day, you have to be happy with your decision every time you pick it up and use it.  Can't wait to hear what you decide!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Here is one of those im not really helping but thinking out loud posts :)

Coming from a 60D...

I dont think you can go wrong with either one of them honestly. Lets just assume $1000 difference for the sake of argument.

Warranty clarification aside, I got mine for $2499 (US Model) and no tax so it would have only been a $200 difference for me as a NY'er (Amazon, BH etc). So it was probably the biggest reason I went with the 5D3.

The 6D had everything I long desired for FF, low ISO performance, AFMA etc. I didnt know if the AF would be a big deal for me until I started playing around with it.

I was experimenting tracking one of the blades of one of our ceiling fans last night at a low rpm setting using wide open aperture on my 50mm and was impressed of its ability to lock and be in focus. Probably not an ideal test but lighting was average so its an definitive improvement for me from the 60D.  Plus I have an 18 month year old who wont sit down for anything...

Didnt check to see if the 6D had HDR and multi exposure built in, but actually dont find the multi-expose as gimmicky as I would have though.t

Like I said $1K more dont know thats hard when you can grab a 100L or 135L with change

5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »