October 22, 2014, 12:08:44 AM

Author Topic: 6D vs 5Diii today...  (Read 9959 times)

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 6D vs 5Diii today...
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »
People have been commenting on the relative merits of photos taken with the 6D vs 5Diii, but as far as I can tell there are no comparisons available of photos taken with the two cameras via RAW and processed through the same software.  (Is there even software available yet to process 6D RAW files?) If all we can consider are camera-generated JPEGs, that doesn't tell us much, does it, even if the two cameras have similar/same JPEG settings (unless, of course, one doesn't shoot RAW).

If I'm wrong about this, and there are such comparisons available, could someone point me in the right direction?  (I'm wondering whether to add one or the other to my 5DII.)

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »

Helevitia

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
I think if you HAVE to buy today, it should be the 5D3 for the simple fact that not enough is known about the 6D yet.  If you could wait a month, you will have a better idea.  Can you wait a month?

Do you need 1/8000 and 1/250 for flash?  Though you did say you were keeping your 7D.

From what you use the camera for, it sounds like the 5D3 might be the better option anyway.  If you can afford it and think you'll make your money back fairly quickly, than it seems you'll be happier with the 5D3 in the long run.  The only downside would be the possible new scenarios with WIFI, which is starting to sound more and more like a feature that professionals will use and want.  I think somebody else pointed out that you could add this?  Not sure though.

One other thing I thought of, it sounds like you already have your lenses.  Do you need another one?

I'm an amateur, so it's an easy decision for me, 6D :)

EDIT: Something else I noticed.  The 6D is rated for 100K shots, 5D3 is rated at 150K shots. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:50:29 PM by Helevitia »

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
No question. Go for 5DIII.
It easily outperforms the 6D and is only £100+ dearer for a new grey market body.
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »
I'd go 5D3 (well, I already did a few months back...)....

But from what it sounds like, if you can afford it, get the 5D3, it isn't that much more $$.
The 6D sounds like it would make for an excellent 2nd camera tho...for taking out on a shoot?

C

lintoni

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »
6 hours have been and gone, the suspense of wondering what the OP decided on is killing me!
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: 6D vs 5DIII today...
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
weeel, for me other than the price being below the psychological & financial $2K barrier, for me the main advantage of the 6D is *size*.  Weight on my wrists (sensitive from decades of typing & mousing), bulk in my bag, and size intimidating people when I'm shooting in places where a big flashy camera will draw too much attention, or at least make your subject look away.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
fyi just to compare numbers I asked Canon product support what EV the 6D's "other" focus points were sensitive to, and the answer came back "2 stops more".  that means -1EV "everywhere else" and -3EV in the center.  that information seems to contradict what I've seen elswhere can anyone confirm and reveal sources of different information?

As for comparing with the 5D3 I note that all the focus points are -2EV, which means that 5D wins handily for any focus point other than the center.  moreoever, given the std deviation numbers posted elsewhere, even at the center point the 5D3 will nail focus a greater percentage of the time , in acceptable lighty of course (granted, not at -3EV).

if I were making the same decision today I would choose 5D3 simply because if I'm shooting anything that moves, in low light,  i'm gonna appreciate all those non-center -2EV focus points, not to mention the tracking capabilities and fps.   ALso -- I for one am tired of being locked into that center point AF "focus then frame" technique where I know that my center AF point is more sensitive -- which ultimately means I don't use the other ones because the center is more trustworthy.  And if I'm shooting under low light conditions, its not likely to be inside a coal mine during a power outage, so the difference between -3EV and -2EV just doesn't seem like a practical wahoo to me (corner case advantage, to be sure, but what scenarious would really make me say "o dern I missed the shot because my center AF point was only -2EV)   Ergo I would opt for the greater percentage of keepers  in lighting situations that occur most often.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
... the difference between -3EV and -2EV just doesn't seem like a practical wahoo to me ...

I just had to comment on 'practical wahoo', that's funny!   ;D  I love learning new technical terms...
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »
:D :D  well, we have to lighten things up once in a while!  For perspective, consider that the 5D3 can focus at all AF points in the amount of light requiring a 30 second exposure at f/2.8 (iso 100), or EV -2, while the 6D would trip and fall at that level except in the center where it can acheive AF if the light is low enough to require a 60 sec shutter. How many shots would you loose if the center point could not acheive focus for the longer exposure example?  probably important to some and not for others.   

Conversely, "off center" the 6D requires EV -1 (15 sec exposure) while all 61 AF points of the 5D3 do the snoopy dance down to EV -2.  How many shots would you loose if the "off center" points required EV -1 instead of -2? 

oh, and don't forget that the exposure meter itself requires a lot more light than the AF system does, to meet its rated performance and accuracy. Both the 6D and the 5D3 metering systems require +1 EV
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:41:42 PM by dlleno »

MayaTlab

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 03:43:23 AM »
The one thing that makes the 5D III stellar for shooting events / weddings / reportage i.e. "people in action" stuff, is not just its AF system, but the controls associated to it, and especially the following things :
- The ability to register an AF point (that includes the automatic selection mode), and then bring it up with the AF-on, exposure lock of DOF buttons.
- The ability to go from One shot to AI servo with the DOF preview button
- Custom modes.

Just as an illustration :
In my C3 mode, I use 9 points extended af mode when pressing the shutter button, but automatic selection when pressing the AF-on button. At anytime, I can switch between One shot or AI servo if the subject starts to move, either in manual point selection or automatic selection. The exposure lock button is used as AF stop (if an object blocks the subject view for example). So it's like having two AF point selection modes quickly available, either in One shot or AI servo modes.
In my C1 mode, instead of switching between One shot and AI servo, the DOF preview button serves as a second registered AF mode, so it's like I'm having three AF point selection mode quickly available at the same time : spot AF, extended AF, automatic selection AF.

This is massively powerful for shooting living things, which tend to be, by nature, quite unpredictable subjects. Since I see you're shooting events and weddings, that could be very beneficial.

You'll also benefit from having a second card slot, although unfortunately the SD card slot doesn't support fast cards (why Canon ? WHY ?).

On the other hand, from the files I've been playing with in Capture One, I find the 6D sensor slightly superior at higher ISOs, and at least as good at low ISOs as the 1DX, that is to say, again, superior to the 5DIII.

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:30 AM »
I went for the.........

5Diii

I went down to the shop, had a play with both. the 6D with the controls set out as they are feels kinda like going back to the 500D. also the menu system is a lot lot nicer on the 5Diii. I know both those things are pretty superficial but I'm sure I'll reap the benefits of going for the 5. I'm going to have to stay in for a few weekends now...
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 05:45:26 AM »
Plus if I get a 6D I'll just get the piss ripped out of me by "pro's" tottering around with their 5Diii's  ;)

Congratulations on your purchase!  I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Not that I'm overly persuaded by peer pressure, but I've been considering the 6D vs 5Diii, too.  Its a tough call.  Realistically, I'd be happy with either.  I'm leaning towards the 5Diii as it seems to be a camera that I'd be happy to own for a very long time.  Whereas if I went with the 6D, it will only be because its cheaper. I'd probably always regret not buying a 5Diii and would worry about what I'm missing out on.  Wifi, GPS etc will be handy but aren't deal makers for me.  For me, the question is $800 vs 3 to 4 years increased happiness.

But then, I'm in no rush.  Maybe I'll sit back and wait for the sub $1000 FF that everyone's talking about.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:47:26 AM by Hillsilly »
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
Good choice! Congratulations. I believe 5D3 will serve you for many years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
I went for the.........

5Diii

Smart call.

6D is a stop-gap body from Canon when you strip away the noise and iso babble among some.  At best it may tie 5d3 here... Canon is not in the business of selling better performers for less money. Also, we should expect more frequent updates for the 6D than the 1 and 5 series as the market moves to more FF load and competition on the lower end; perhaps similar to the T3i or 10 series (gasp, I know!). I am not knocking the 6D here, it (and its successors) may well emerge as stable, competent entry ff bodies for the canon line.

But near term, once you move out of the narrow box of iso claims for the 6D with limited data from few sources, the higher end FF bodies simply offer more on AF, build, and other pro-friendly features. If you are entering the digital FF arena and you can afford them, they offer more room to grow, whatever your level of expertise. They will also hold their value once they settle into their market-bearable target price.

Congrats!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:29:00 AM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »

... noise and iso babble among some. 
...narrow box of iso claims for the 6D with limited data from few sources.
good to see I'm not the only one with such a perspective.  I wouldn't call it babble necessarily, cuz its necessary dialog and part of the discovery/vetting process, but I do agree that the theoretical merits of the 6D have been stressed over the practical.  That said, I suspect the 6D will fill an important gap in the price/performance lineup and represents a  brilliant marketing move on Canon's part.  It may even become a proving ground for features that may end up in the higher end bodies.   The Wifi features themselves pack a lot of wahoo and are very well received.   
the higher end FF bodies simply offer more on AF, build, and other pro-friendly features. If you are entering the digital FF arena and you can afford them, they offer more room to grow, whatever your level of expertise. They will also hold their value once they settle into their market-bearable target price.

+1.  moreover, without seeing some actual photos where the 6D "gets the shot" and the 5D3 does not,  the -3EV center AF point isn't  so much about improving upon the 5D3.  It may be a preview of  a 5D4 with a boatload of AF points all at -3EV or lower [/quote]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »