November 25, 2014, 04:29:20 PM

Author Topic: 3D (Again) & 5D Mark III (CR1)  (Read 28295 times)

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 3D (Again) & 5D Mark III (CR1)
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
I am still surpised that no one has commented on the 40mm 1.4L that is attached to the "3D" in the picture. granted it looks like a cheap "fake" but it would make me wonder is that is a hint that the future "3D" is though to be a 1.3 crop.

Given that this is only a rumour, surely we have to assume that both the lens and camera images have been created in photoshop or similar. As the owner of a film Eos 3 which Waaaay outperforms it's digital offspring, I'd dearly love to have a FF digital version with the exact same feature set as the original. However it seems highly unlikely for many years yet. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »
As the owner of a film Eos 3 which Waaaay outperforms it's digital offspring, I'd dearly love to have a FF digital version with the exact same feature set as the original.

Including eye-controlled AF? 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

WarStreet

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
Hopefully if there is a 3D it is a full frame, low MP type camera to compete with the Nikon D3s in the high ISO area. Though naming it "3D" implies that it will be more costly than the 5D Mark III and thus out of my range.

If they release 2 different entry level FF cameras, it makes sense to split them as higher res/slower and lower res/faster. Maybe they will name them both 5DIII, but they might append a letter for the faster camera. As you say, the faster camera would cost more, but must be priced lower enough from the 1D which would reflect the specs difference between these cameras. Don't know if it makes sense for Canon to go with 2 flagship FF cameras and 2 entry level FF cameras with res/speed difference. 

If it makes you feel better, after checking a bunch of data on DXOmark, I roughly estimated that the 5DIII with about 26mp - 28mp,  should have DXOmark values (their base data, not their indexes) very similar to the current D3S. I really think it is possible to achieve this, especially if you consider the estimated release date. Again, this is a rough guess. 

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
As the owner of a film Eos 3 which Waaaay outperforms it's digital offspring, I'd dearly love to have a FF digital version with the exact same feature set as the original.

Including eye-controlled AF? 

Absolutely, I have always loved the feature. And provided I "reteach" the camera regularly it continues to perform, AF'ing faster and more reliably than any digital upstart I've played with.

I am very aware that it is troublesome for those with "oriental eyes" as for whatever reason it plays up for these ethnic groups, but for us northern european's its fine. As I've said, it did/does need teaching and that takes time and patience which might explain why some decided not to bother.

The downside is simply that it's a film camera and trying to get a good reliable lab for colour slide film is getting ever more difficult in my area. 

max

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Canon took their model names off in an altogether different direction - possibly dropping the 'D' part altogether.

So the new camera would be an EOS 3?  Why does that name seem familiar??

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Make the 3D with the sensor & AF from the merged 1D line, no video, 5D size body, and a <$3500 price tag, and I'd take one.

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 05:46:17 PM »
I can't take any rumor seriously that projects a camera called a 3D...  unless its actually a 3d camera with two lenses.    would be like releasing a camcorder, with "HD" in the name, that only shoots standard definition
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 05:46:17 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
Make the 3D with the sensor & AF from the merged 1D line, no video, 5D size body, and a <$3500 price tag, and I'd take one.

Good luck finding canon release a camera like that with your budget
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

terryh2c

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:00:56 PM »
I've been saving for the 5D MkII update, but by summer 2012 I will have saved enough for a Bugatti Veyron. Surely the current 'out of stock' status of the Mk II can't continue - does Canon really not care THAT much for sales?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
I've been saving for the 5D MkII update, but by summer 2012 I will have saved enough for a Bugatti Veyron. Surely the current 'out of stock' status of the Mk II can't continue - does Canon really not care THAT much for sales?

Here in the US, at least, the major retailers sell out as soon as they get new stock in.  That would seem to indicate that the 5DII is still a strong seller, meaning less incentive for Canon to update the line.

Enjoy the new wheels...   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »

Wow. With that much money, you could buy enough Canon stock to have influence with management.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

liberace

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 10:31:44 PM »
I can't take any rumor seriously that projects a camera called a 3D...  unless its actually a 3d camera with two lenses.    would be like releasing a camcorder, with "HD" in the name, that only shoots standard definition

x 2. The whole talk of a 3D model drives me insane.

zerotiu

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
ugh, 3d - 5d3 what d again? Just release new full frame camera with 7d+5d2 features and I think we are all happy  :)

* you can't deny this  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 03:30:41 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I think the 3D is going to happen. People are screaming out for a full-frame 7D equivalent - rugged, compact, weather sealed, with better AF.  (OK I am - hopefully others are too!). An outdoor/landscape shooter's dream, for those who can't afford or don't want medium-format digital.

If they made the 5DIII like that it would do two things:
1) push the price right up for that model
2) cannibalize sales from the 1D line

So the market is ripe now for a model that sits in-between the 5D and the 1D lines. There's a big hole in their lineup that they currently aren't filling.

The 5DIII will be the cheapest full-frame offering. The new version will bring more megapixels and better AF from the 7D but not much else, except for perhaps newer video-specific features. It will compete aggressively on price.

The 3D will basically be a full-frame 7D. It won't have integrated vertical grip. It might even borrow some other features from the 1D line but not enough to cannibalize it, but will be a price premium above the 5DmarkIII line, the same way the 7D is at a premium above the 60D. Shutter speeds will definitely be held back as this is a 1D feature - expect a single Digic V for the 3D.

The 1D and 1Ds series will merge together into a fast-shooting, fully-featured, top of the line model - everything we have now but with more Megapixels and the updated interface from dual Digic V. What Canon will do with this camera is enable a toggle to go into 1.3x crop mode, discarding the outer-most pixels which will allow a faster shutter speed, so you'll have a 1D and 1Ds all in one.

Thus we'll end up with a nice matrix of cameras:
Rebel / 60D / 7D for crop sensor
5DmarkIII / 3D / 1DmarkV for full frame

I'll be going for the 3D for sure - maybe upgrade both of my 5DII's to them. Bring it Canon!

NotABunny

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:35 AM »
2012 will bring a new model full frame DSLR to the Canon lineup. The likely name will be the 3D. It will bring about new sensor technology for the EOS system. The 5D Mark III wouldn’t make an appearance on the scene until summer 2012. It will feature a modified version of the upcoming 1Ds Mark IV sensor.

This guy (/ group) who constantly makes up rumors about a EOS 3D for so many years really has a fetish. Please, some creativity!

For example, call it a 2D! It's gonna shoot 2D images anyway... right? Or let's go fractal (since it shoots moving images), call a 2.5D!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:12:41 AM by NotABunny »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:35 AM »