August 21, 2014, 08:32:43 AM

Author Topic: 3D (Again) & 5D Mark III (CR1)  (Read 27428 times)

ystasino

Re: 3D (Again) & 5D Mark III (CR1)
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
I want a state of the art AF system, with 4 fps and 25-28 MP.

The 5D was originally meant for portrait/wedding photographers and the 5DII added better noise control, video, somewhat better AF and a few more MP. But it is still a portrait/wedding photographer's camera. I want it to remain as such and do not want to pay for weather-proofing, dual card slots or 6-7 fps. Leave these specs for higher end cameras and give us a state-of-the-art AF system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »

Joes Dad

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • David Huff Photography
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted before - but did anyone notice that the 1Ds Mark III is no longer available in the Canon on-line camera store at all - as opposed to just being "out of stock" like many of Canon's other products?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_12164
1D X | 1D Mark IV | 5D Mark III
500 f/4L | 300 f/2.8L | 200 f/2.0L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100 f/2.8L M IS | MP-E 65 f/2.8 | TS-E 24 f/3.5L II | 24 f/1.4L | 14 f/2.8L | 40 f/2.8

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted before - but did anyone notice that the 1Ds Mark III is no longer available in the Canon on-line camera store at all - as opposed to just being "out of stock" like many of Canon's other products?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_12164

I believe that someone pointed that out quite a while back.

But then, the 7D body only and 5DII body only are also missing from the list, although the kit versions are there.  It may just mean no current stock and no idea when they will get more for Canon direct (I suspect large retailers like B&H and Adorama get priority).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:53:26 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2011, 04:33:49 AM »
when even TDP is talking about the 1ds3 being out of stock, it's worth noticing (maybe he's got some info about the replacement and is being a bit cryptic about it, without breaking an NDA?)

my local shop doesn't even list the 1ds3 on the page any more.
the 1d4, 60d, and 1100d are in stock in 1 shop+web, 5d2 and 7d both out of stock everywhere, 600d only 1 shop, 550d both shops, 500d both shops+web.

(aside: every dutch employee gets a summer holiday bonus (8% of yearly income) paid in may. mine paid for my 70-300L (and i got the last one in the shop). maybe they're out of stock because people went on a spending spree?)

my guess at canon's manufacturing process is that they tool-up a line for one model at a time, build as many as they think they'll sell before the next run, then switch to another model.
If they sell more than they think, say, because of a recovery from recession, or if the time between runs is longer, say, due to an earthquake and power shortages, then they'll just run out before the next run, whether it's being replaced or not. (but yeah, if a replacement's coming, they just might not bother with a new run)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Heidrun

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2011, 06:09:31 AM »

The 5D was originally meant for portrait/wedding photographers and the 5DII added better noise control, video, somewhat better AF and a few more MP. But it is still a portrait/wedding photographer's camera. I want it to remain as such and do not want to pay for weather-proofing, dual card slots or 6-7 fps. Leave these specs for higher end cameras and give us a state-of-the-art AF system.

Agree. State of the art AF on 5D. but i want weatherproof, best iso quaality both on high and low iso in the class. And also between 25-30 MP.

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2011, 06:10:05 AM »

No dual card slots? I would think those would be great for wedding photographers. If one card goes bad, you didn't just lose hundreds of irreplaceable photos.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »
- 19 point cross type 'sensitive' autofocus points
- Stop better dynamic range (more detail in highlights)
- Clean ISO6400
- Dual Card Slots
- 24MP
- Digic V
- 3.9 fps
- Announced August *fingers crossed*

Better joystick for selecting autofocus point would be handy too

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »

zerotiu

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »
- 19 point cross type 'sensitive' autofocus points
- Stop better dynamic range (more detail in highlights)
- Clean ISO6400
- Dual Card Slots
- 24MP
- Digic V
- 3.9 fps

Better joystick for selecting autofocus point would be handy too

oh, I want it to be announced in August too :D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »

Before the 1DsIV?  You can cross your fingers, but I really wouldn't recommend holding your breath... 

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

Before the 1DsIV?  You can cross your fingers, but I really wouldn't recommend holding your breath... 

I keep a personalised version of the Canon time line and have just modified the document, extending everything Canon is currently selling till at least the end of 2011. I've gone farther than that with the 5D2, extending that to the end of the first quarter of 2012.

It's not impossible that Canon might announce the replacement for the 1Ds3 and the 5D2 together. But given the importance of both I think they will give each their moment of glory, their seperate moments in the sun.

Heidrun

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »
Dont know why Canon is holding back. Digic V has come, and its stupid to sitt with something and wait until Nikon comes up with something better

ystasino

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

No dual card slots? I would think those would be great for wedding photographers. If one card goes bad, you didn't just lose hundreds of irreplaceable photos.

The idea would be to offer a high quality FF camera that's sufficient for most, but not all. If you want elite features that are useful only rarely, however sensible they may be, you would have to pay a lot more.

This is how Canon has differentiated products all the way from the Digital Rebel vs 10D debate. The 10D offered a better body some more custom functions highlighted by the mirror lock up debacle which was software-suppressed in the Digital Rebel. Not sensible, but that was their marketing.

It would be great if we were able to customize cameras just like we customize PCs, but it's not happening yet.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 01:30:08 PM »
It would be great if we were able to customize cameras just like we customize PCs, but it's not happening yet.

You mean it's not happening anymore (or less than before).

Medium Format have had interchangeable lenses, focussing screens, viewfinders, film backs, digital backs, full meters, spot meters, you name it, pretty much since they started.
One i know of is Hasselblad ditched the ability to swap film/digital backs when they introduced the H3D (although apparently you can still use the waist-level finder).
Other MF companies still produce digital backs and bodies seperately, but the trend is still more towards integration.

afaik, 35mm has never had the same level of modularity.
ok, so angle finders are available, but they clip onto the back of your viewfinder, they don't replace the entire prism.
has any 35mm ever had a replaceable back? (granted, early DSLR digital backs tacked onto film cameras, and they're not made anymore either).
and replacing your ttl full metering prism with your spot metering prism disappeared with the berlin wall (now i just press a button and scroll a wheel to change, i can tell you what i prefer too)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 01:30:08 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
afaik, 35mm has never had the same level of modularity.

Granted, it's not 35mm, but have you seen the Ricoh GXR?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »