December 23, 2014, 12:28:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon 6D Under-Exposing?  (Read 13909 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Canon 6D Under-Exposing?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
To get things in line, I had to run my exposure compensation between +1 and +1.6 EV.  This gave me results that were consistent with my 5D3.

If a slight underexposure should be the case: the 6d is also marketed for travel/tourism which implies a lot of  jpeg/daylight use, so protecting people from blown highlights seems reasonable while people using the "pro" 5d3 are probably expected to know what they're doing and shoot raw so you can recover the highlights.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »

m6d4

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »
I experienced this problem as well but then I had sigma35mm1.4 new lens and I thought the problem is with the lens not the camera.
=Deep

bereninga

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 03:12:35 AM »
I noticed this on my 6D as well. I have to constantly set the exposure compensation and it is pretty annoying to keep doing that.

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 03:30:28 AM »
I think it gotta do with the lens. Using my m42 lenses in AV mode sometimes the exposure is just...so off.
Never had any problems with the newer EF lenses

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »
...and to be honest I have no idea why someone mentioned the underexposing problem only with 6d while it is and was present in 5d2 and 5d3 as well. Maybe 6d underexposes even much more.

The Canon metering system has always been slightly over sensitive to bright highlights. Fair comparisons to metering can only be made with grey test scenes and controlled lighting. But the metering isn't always linear or compatible to other camera systems. I've found my 5DIII's to be the most stable of metering on a Canon system yet, My 5DII cameras had a similar metering system to the older 5D cameras, but rendered images which were slightly brighter due to the higher 14bit output of the 5DII.
I tend to use fast primes so my iso values are generally quite low. I like my images to have a slim DOF and low noise.

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
I'm so glad to read this string.  I've experienced what I thought was underexposure with my 6D as well....never had the problem with my 7D. 

Is anyone have a white balance problem with interior shots?  Even when I set the white balance to tungsten on some shots, they come out yellow/orange-ish.  Exterior shots seem to be fine.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »
I'm so glad to read this string.  I've experienced what I thought was underexposure with my 6D as well....never had the problem with my 7D. 

Is anyone have a white balance problem with interior shots?  Even when I set the white balance to tungsten on some shots, they come out yellow/orange-ish.  Exterior shots seem to be fine.

It does seem to underexpose just a little bit for me. Unlike my T2i...

My interior shots end up yellow/orange-ish too. :(

I guess exposure comp +1/3 is the way to go.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »
I've found various bodies to expose with various levels of error, no real surprise.

What I find more annoying tho, is an inconsistent error on any given body.

E.G.
new Pentax K52s with fast zoom and sunlight.
- matrix metering is within 1/3 of Sekonic
- CWA and Spot on the same uniform surface are -1EV from matrix

I thot this may be due to the effect of lens corner shading in matrix EXCEPT that if I move to an indoor location, again on a smooth surface evenly lit by natural outside light thru windows, all metering modes are now the same result!

FWIW, my K52s underexposes considerably and inconsistently when outdoors in sunlight, no matter what metering mode I use and even sunny-16 numbers do not provide proper results but are often nearly 2 stops under...  I need to get that thing checked out...  I can usually rely on full manual giving consistent results but I have to go by the histogram as the metering's too wonky.  Same behavior with various lenses so not sure what its problem is yet, aperture control lever calibration?..  Have to find some time for detailed testing.

Meanwhile..

My D800 does the same -1EV shift in sunlight when changing between metering modes as the K52s but its matrix mode does a very good job for all my shots and rarely under or over exposes by much in complex scenes and is predictable in low dynamic range shots.

My old Canon 5d2 often underexposed a great deal and again, inconsistently.  It occasionally over exposed a scene grossly too, even with no change of scene and from shot to shot.  Manual was the only way to get consistent shot-to-shot results.

my 60D and 7d gave remarkably accurate and consistently good metering (&WB) and also agreed very well with my Sekonics or sunny-16 when in manual. 40d gives consistent and predictable metering, even if not accurate.

All my consumer grade bodies, Canon and Nikon, actually seem to meter quite predictably and consistently, if a little conservative at times so they rarely clip highlites or underexpose by much.

So...  not surprised to hear that a 6D underexposes a bit.
But how consistent is it between metering modes and various light levels?
and shot-to-shot on the same scene?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:26:07 PM by Aglet »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »
Good to hear the 7D2 is reliable and accurate. That's going to keep a lot of people happy in the future  ;)

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
I've found various bodies to expose with various levels of error, no real surprise.

What I find more annoying tho, is an inconsistent error on any given body.

E.G.
new Pentax K52s with fast zoom and sunlight.
- matrix metering is within 1/3 of Sekonic
- CWA and Spot on the same uniform surface are -1EV from matrix

I thot this may be due to the effect of lens corner shading in matrix EXCEPT that if I move to an indoor location, again on a smooth surface evenly lit by natural outside light thru windows, all metering modes are now the same result!

FWIW, my K52s underexposes considerably and inconsistently when outdoors in sunlight, no matter what metering mode I use and even sunny-16 numbers do not provide proper results but are often nearly 2 stops under...  I need to get that thing checked out...  I can usually rely on full manual giving consistent results but I have to go by the histogram as the metering's too wonky.  Same behavior with various lenses so not sure what its problem is yet, aperture control lever calibration?..  Have to find some time for detailed testing.

Meanwhile..

My D800 does the same -1EV shift in sunlight when changing between metering modes as the K52s but its matrix mode does a very good job for all my shots and rarely under or over exposes by much in complex scenes and is predictable in low dynamic range shots.

My old Canon 5d2 often underexposed a great deal and again, inconsistently.  It occasionally over exposed a scene grossly too, even with no change of scene and from shot to shot.  Manual was the only way to get consistent shot-to-shot results.

my 60D and 7d2 gave remarkably accurate and consistently good metering (&WB) and also agreed very well with my Sekonics or sunny-16 when in manual. 40d gives consistent and predictable metering, even if not accurate.

All my consumer grade bodies, Canon and Nikon, actually seem to meter quite predictably and consistently, if a little conservative at times so they rarely clip highlites or underexpose by much.

So...  not surprised to hear that a 6D underexposes a bit.
But how consistent is it between metering modes and various light levels?
and shot-to-shot on the same scene?
I have not had issues between metering modes and within a same scene.  It's just dark, and if indoors, off color.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »
Good to hear the 7D2 is reliable and accurate. That's going to keep a lot of people happy in the future  ;)

HAHA!  Good of you to jump on that typo (fixed).
so many multigenerational devices...
Still hoping a 7d2 is going to be impressive for more than its forebear's metering.

Meanwhile, back to metering SNAFUs...

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »
I have not had issues between metering modes and within a same scene.  It's just dark, and if indoors, off color.

I haven't played much with a 6D but still find that is unexpected behavior.
Everything that I've used with that 63 zone metering sensor has provided excellent metering and AWB.

Can you compare your 6D with another, side-by-side, same lens?

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »

I haven't played much with a 6D but still find that is unexpected behavior.
Everything that I've used with that 63 zone metering sensor has provided excellent metering and AWB.

Can you compare your 6D with another, side-by-side, same lens?
No, unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a 6D.  It sounds like I'm not the only one with this sort of problem from the above comments.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »