October 24, 2014, 02:50:53 PM

Author Topic: Canon 6D Wifi Linking with iPhone 5  (Read 13456 times)

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
Canon 6D Wifi Linking with iPhone 5
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
Hey guys, yesterday I put together a quick video on how to wirelessly tether your Canon 6D to your iphone (should be the same set up for iPad and similar for Android devices).

I had a few issues getting it set up and getting some of the features to work initially, but once I followed these steps it is painless.

Wireless wifi shooting is super cool and I demo some of the features in the second half.

In review Mode you can-

- Review Images
- Rate Images
- Delete Images
- Email 2.5 MP size images
- Import 2.5MP images to your device (cant seem to get this to work)
- Supposed to be able to video video, but Im only seeing thumbnails now, Im probably doing something wrong.

(You can do all of the above while your camera is in your bag!)

In the Shooting Mode you can:

- Preview Exposure
- Change Exposure Settings (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO)
- Preview shooting info
- Focus
- Change Focus location

No video triggering or wireless video shooting...yet.

The app is pretty stripped down but shows some absolutely tremendous potential. I just LOVE this feature.

EOS Remote App | Canon 6D | Wifi Wireless | Set-up & Basic Shooting

Ill be posting more reviews & images on my blog this week.

M

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 6D Wifi Linking with iPhone 5
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 6D Wifi Linking with iPhone 5
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
Unless I want to be a spyier, WHY do I want to operate the camera through a cell phone ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:59:03 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

lintoni

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
Unless I want to be a spyier, WHY do I want to operate the camera through a cell phone ??? ??? ???

Wildlife photography, for instance.
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

Assuming you don't do zooming nor tracking your subject(s)?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:25:59 PM by Dylan777 »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »

and when the camera is positioned where it is very awkward to get at the controls....
The best camera is the one in your hands

lintoni

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »

Assuming you don't do zooming nor tracking your subject(s)?

Possibly.  Shy creatures, such as badgers that may be active early morning or late evening and don't move at 20mph.  A wide lens near the setts entrance could produce stunning images.
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

Self portraits; placing the camera at odd angles and locations you can't reach; shooting long exposures when you want to trigger the camera without touching it (although I'll admit the self-timer trick works just fine).  And possibly when doing product/marco work, were the larger screen on a tablet will help with fine focusing.  It could also be handy for shooting weddings and other events as a second camera, where having another angle on the action could be useful.

I can see lots of innovative uses for this.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

ppdd

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
With any imagination at all, there are tons of great uses for this feature. There are certain application, some already mentioned and some to come, where this is invaluable.

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »
I love that I can have my camera in my bag and review/rate/delete images on my phone. Maybe not a big deal, but its pretty cool to think I can start working on my workflow without even having my camera in my hands.

M

Zlatko

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
Excellent video!  Very nicely done.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »

Gotta agree that there are lots of uses for it (funny too because this was a feature I was kind ehhh whatever on when the specs were announced). 

I enjoy night photography!  So, the ability to control long exposures from my phone would rock! 

Also, I was thinking of ways to use it at weddings too, for ceremonies and receptions!  (I do rather like the idea of that!  Especially for the ones where I don't have a second shooter!).  Really there are quite a few possibilities for this feature!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »

Gotta agree that there are lots of uses for it (funny too because this was a feature I was kind ehhh whatever on when the specs were announced). 

I enjoy night photography!  So, the ability to control long exposures from my phone would rock! 

Also, I was thinking of ways to use it at weddings too, for ceremonies and receptions!  (I do rather like the idea of that!  Especially for the ones where I don't have a second shooter!).  Really there are quite a few possibilities for this feature!

I might be different from you guys.

I rather see 6D offers better AF system, Continuous Autofocus tracking Video likes T4i, faster frame rate, better ergonomics etc....things that can help to improve your IQ.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:51:11 PM by Dylan777 »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »

I rather see 6D offers better AF system, Continuous Autofocus tracking Video likes T4i, faster frame rate, better ergonomics etc....things that can help to improve your IQ.

different strokes..  i have a 5d3...so...i'm looking at it from a different angle (with greater DOF....  hehehehehe)
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

I wouldn't cry over spilt milk, the camera is out already. And I'm sure the 6D's IQ stays very much slightly the same without your requested features.

What I do seem to notice is that the people who own the camera seem to be enjoying it very much and the ones who don't are criticizing it the most. I already have a 5D Mark III, but I'm really curious about the WiFi feature of the 6D because 1) I hate having to use the adapter to connect my camera to my iPad 3 to review images with clients 2) wireless remote shooting with a screen attached, especially with the size of a tablet screen, is a huge advantage for studio and landscape applications, it will help you focus less on technical issues and more on creativity 3) For an event photographer who needs to get an image over to the projector guy's laptop without having to take your card out sometimes. Heck, you can even take photos of important people at some events and you can send the photo right away without having to go through the hassles of cables and adapters. Throw a watermark on it with your ios or droid app and voila, instant business card with THEIR faces on it.

From a photography perspective you might think of some limitations for the use but you can get really creative on the business end of photography with the WiFi feature. I'm definitely picking this up as a 2nd body. Odds are, I'll be able to shoot jpeg into my 5D Mark III's SD card, throw it into the 6D, and import photos via wifi taken by my main body as well. I think Canon marketing planned this out quite well. (as much as I hate not having wifi built in to the 5D mark III despite understanding the materials used on the top part to weather seal it further will inhibit the signal)
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Zlatko

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »

A possible wedding usage is to set up the camera in a spot where a photographer would not be permitted to stand, getting a perspective that would otherwise be impossible.  At some churches this is the entire altar area.  Of course it would require getting permission first.  And it would require using the quiet shutter mode.

It may not be practical as a "second shooter replacement" during critical times, such as when the bride is walking up the aisle, because a solo photographer will need to be shooting with their camera and at the same time be shooting with the phone ... not an easy task.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:15:58 PM by Zlatko »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »