August 01, 2014, 01:31:11 AM

Author Topic: 6D hands-on reviews by many websites..  (Read 10311 times)

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
6D hands-on reviews by many websites..
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
post your reviews from the Canon 6D..  the ones I found, here we go..

The-digital-picture - ISO tests:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

The-digital-picture - 6D with 200 f2IS VS 5Dmk3 with 200 F2IS (image quality):

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=819&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&Sample=0&CameraComp=792&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Cnet Asia:

http://asia.cnet.com/product/canon-eos-6d-46728290.htm

DigitalREV - 6D vs 5dmk2 vs 7D:

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/canon-6d-vs-5d-mark/NTczODM1ODc_A

Btw, I like what DigitalREV says about the 6D: "The 11 point system will work perfectly well for those who shoot portraits or studio work and the ability to focus well in low light conditions make it a solid choice for wedding shooters"

canon rumors FORUM

6D hands-on reviews by many websites..
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 6D hands-on reviews by many websites..
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
Jthorpephoto:

http://jthorpephoto.com/2012/12/product-review-canon-6d/

"I have to say I'm very pleased with the 6D over my MKii, its a pretty big upgrade from it."

PhotographyBay:

http://www.photographybay.com/2012/11/01/canon-6d-hands-on/

The Phoblographer:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/10/27/first-impressions-canon-6d-and-wi-fi-demo/

"If you’re going to choose the center focusing point for most of your shooting because you prefer the focus and recompose method, I strongly urge that you spring for the 5D Mk II instead because Canon is giving you an excellent autofocusing option and you won’t be utilizing the potential that this camera really has."

Trustedreviews.com:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/canon-eos-6d_Digital-Camera_review

"The Canon EOS 6D boasts an 11-point AF system. It may not be anywhere near as complex at the 5D Mark III's 61-point autofocus, but early impressions of its speed and accuracy during our brief hands-on were entirely positive. "

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:32:44 AM »
Here's another one: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=819&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=4&LensComp=458&CameraComp=479&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=4

ISO 12233 resolution chart results for the Canon EOS 6D DSLR Camera and Canon EF 200mm f/2 L IS USM Lens are now available on the site.

With these results, many comparisons can be made, but the Canon EOS 6D and 5D Mark II comparison is the one I wanted to see the most. While the 5D II holds a small megapixel advantage, the 6D delivers results that are at least as sharp.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »
FWIW, my personal findings are for the most part consistent with the latest reviews. The AF may look like poo on paper but it actually works pretty good in practice, the ISO rocks, it isn't soft. Yes it feels alot like a 60D in hand and the shutter likewise sounds like a 60D shutter. Button layout not so good imo, but feel in hand while shooting is very good imo. Definitely a substantial improvement over my 5D2 in every respect but body durability and button layout, both of which imo are "good enough".
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »
Blog.Dojoklo.com:

http://blog.dojoklo.com/2012/12/03/canon-6d-hands-on-review/

"Overall I think the Canon 6D is an excellent dSLR camera, a very good value for the price, and should easily meet or exceed the needs of most enthusiast photographers"

Canonturk.com:

http://www.canonturk.com/wp/4030-turkiyedeki-ilk-6d-on-incelemesi.html

(make sure you're using google chrome for the Turkish translation system)

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 04:34:34 AM »
Hi guys!

I agree with the statements above. The AF of the 6D ist very good for portrait or low-light  shooting. But lacks of speed in actionphotography. I was amazed to get each bird with the 7D or the 5D Mark 3. Only the 6D was often unable to follow the bird, most of the shots were unsharp. I often lost contact with the center AF-point. Amazing AF of the 5D Mark 3 and most amazing of the 1DX!

Image quality of the 6D is good. Looks equal to the 5D Mark 3.
Next week we shoot portrait, low light in-&outdoor. I´ll see if my preference changes.

After the Canon workshop, I can upload some shots to compare.

Our teachers say, that the 7D Mark 2 starts selling in the end of spring 2013 (in Germany and Austria). But it will be expensive.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »
But lacks of speed in actionphotography. I was amazed to get each bird with the 7D or the 5D Mark 3. Only the 6D was often unable to follow the bird, most of the shots were unsharp. I often lost contact with the center AF-point.

You were successful in keeping track with single point af on the 7d or 5d3? In my experience (at least on the 60d) single-point af for tracking is bound to loose focus often, thus the main advantage of the 7d/5d3 are simply more af points.

But lacks of speed in Our teachers say, that the 7D Mark 2 starts selling in the end of spring 2013 (in Germany and Austria). But it will be expensive.

My guess it'll be the same price as the 6d then - just below $2000, but with the 7d2 advantage of better af and crop so you don't need super-tele primes. It really seems that Canon would like you to buy two camera bodies...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 04:53:06 AM »
But lacks of speed in actionphotography. I was amazed to get each bird with the 7D or the 5D Mark 3. Only the 6D was often unable to follow the bird, most of the shots were unsharp. I often lost contact with the center AF-point.

You were successful in keeping track with single point af on the 7d or 5d3? In my experience (at least on the 60d) single-point af for tracking is bound to loose focus often, thus the main advantage of the 7d/5d3 are simply more af points.

But lacks of speed in Our teachers say, that the 7D Mark 2 starts selling in the end of spring 2013 (in Germany and Austria). But it will be expensive.

My guess it'll be the same price as the 6d then - just below $2000, but with the 7d2 advantage of better af and crop so you don't need super-tele primes. It really seems that Canon would like you to buy two camera bodies...

We shot eagles, owls and hawks at starting and in passing an feedingdummy. There the AF workes perfect. I just got 1 semisharp picture out of 20 from the 6D, all other were unsharp. Other participants had an better output, 3-5 out of 20.

But one "plus" for the 6D: The AF of the 5D Mark 3 6D worked perfect at macro in available light photography. Only the position of the button to stop down when you check the depth of the sharpness  is a hoax.

The 7D Mark 2 should be a little bit cheaper as the 5D Mark 3.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:13:09 AM by daniela »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 05:04:08 AM »
But one "plus" for the 6D: The AF of the 5D Mark 3 worked perfect at macro in available light photography. Only the position of the button to stop down when you check the depth of the sharpness  is a hoax.

I don't understand this part - what's better for macro, 5d3 or 6d? Imho the 5d3 should have the edge simply because you are more likely to be able to put the af point where you want which is a plus with a thin dof.

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 05:07:58 AM »

These are the reasons why our teachers think, the 7D Mark 2 will be expensive.

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »
But one "plus" for the 6D: The AF of the 5D Mark 3 worked perfect at macro in available light photography. Only the position of the button to stop down when you check the depth of the sharpness  is a hoax.

I don't understand this part - what's better for macro, 5d3 or 6d? Imho the 5d3 should have the edge simply because you are more likely to be able to put the af point where you want which is a plus with a thin dof.

Yes, you are right!. But the AF of the 6D worked better at low light. It found the structure to get sharp, where the 5D was not able to find it. You will be more flexible with the 5D Mark 3, but the AF of the 6D is better in lowlight (available light) situations.

Sorry, it was an typing mistake above! I meant the 6D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:13:47 AM by daniela »

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 05:17:18 AM »
Good to see all the people slating the 6D and saying the 5D2 was best have now gone back under their rocks - the 6D was always going to excel over a camera that was 5 yrs older !
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:46 AM »
IMHO I´m thinking that Canon will specialize their Cameras. One for sports. One for portrait, stills and landscape. And one for cinema. Maybe not only in the semiprofessional league.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:46 AM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 05:36:27 AM »
Good to see all the people slating the 6D and saying the 5D2 was best have now gone back under their rocks - the 6D was always going to excel over a camera that was 5 yrs older !

To Canon's shame, I wouldn't it call "excel", and esp. not when looking at the competition. A lot of things added on the 6d could have simply added to the 5d2 by a firmware upgrade :-o

Yes, you are right!. But the AF of the 6D worked better at low light. It found the structure to get sharp, where the 5D was not able to find it. You will be more flexible with the 5D Mark 3, but the AF of the 6D is better in lowlight (available light) situations.

Thanks, that was an interesting point for me, I often do macro in lower light (but with flashes), but using less af assist light than on the 6d would definitely be a plus for me ... and the center-point af is supposed to be better on the 6d which is good to know, too.

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »

Thanks, that was an interesting point for me, I often do macro in lower light (but with flashes), but using less af assist light than on the 6d would definitely be a plus for me ... and the center-point af is supposed to be better on the 6d which is good to know, too.
[/quote]

I used my old Novoflex (German manufacturer) "antler" to position the two flash heads. Also the ring flash from Canon with an sattelited Speedlite.  Both worked well.

The center-AF-point of the 6D was really good. It got sharp at really low light situations. The other fields are much lesser light sensitive than the center field. They did not work.

But the position of the stop down button is really not optimal. If you use an gliding bench to microadjust the sharpness with the MP-E65, you have to use an pencil to press. I am not used to use the live view, but maybe I have to learn to use it.

At the beginning, it was not easy to use the WiFi funtion, because Windows 8 did not recognise the WiFi of the 6D. It took some time to install. With an external WIFi Card, it worked immediatly. The second day, it was no problem anymore to connect to the Laptop
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:15:34 AM by daniela »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »