April 23, 2014, 03:37:34 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D mrk. II  (Read 32073 times)

autochrome

Re: EOS 7D mrk. II
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »
2) ReiserFS! it's free and it's open source! (sorry, my inner linux nerd wrote that)

ReiserFS might be free, but its creator isn't!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser  (for those who weren't already aware!)

Martin

Reiser3FS is suited towards large quantities of small files, in the KB region. For images, specially RAW, SGI XFS is much more well suited to the task. It was created with the idea of having the fastest access possible to large series of identically (or relatively identical) sized files, in the MB region, such as 35mm motion picture frame scans. Also, after post-production (before the advent of all-digital, RED, digital projectors and so on), after all the post-production and visual effects work you would have to record the frames back to film and you needed a filesystem that would be able to keep up with the required data transfer rates - sustained data rates, not peak/burst data rates.
There are dozens of filesystems around, and just like any other factor, they might or might not be the best solution to the problem, it depends on the problem. If you want the fastest read and write access to large RAW files, then SGI XFS would be one of the top contenders, if not the top contender. If you want to be able to write a large continuous file, perhaps other solutions are more adequate, but this is seriously going off-topic and into a more technical discussion on the virtues and disadvantages of filesystems, so i'll stop here with a good reference for those with a more inquisitive mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Notice also that the requirements and behaviour of a filesystem depends also on the storage technology, an SSD or another memory technology device is quite different than a HDD.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

rcha101

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
Something puzzles me about the Canon line up, all the entry level cameras are APS-C, the enthusiast cameras are APS-C (7D) and 5D MK2 (FF) and the professional is 1D (APS-H) and 1DS (FF).

With rumors of the 1D going, would it not make sense to make the 7D MK2 APS-H? This way you would have a clear progression from APS-C to APS-H to full frame.

I think an APS-H would give prosumer users a great camera at a great price point. There seems to be quite a gap between the 7D and the 5D MK2 and not much of a difference between the 60D and the 7D (roughly speaking).

Also, if Canon are going to bin the APS-H wouldn't it make sense to keep this investment in R&D and use it in another product?

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Something puzzles me about the Canon line up, all the entry level cameras are APS-C, the enthusiast cameras are APS-C (7D) and 5D MK2 (FF) and the professional is 1D (APS-H) and 1DS (FF).

With rumors of the 1D going, would it not make sense to make the 7D MK2 APS-H? This way you would have a clear progression from APS-C to APS-H to full frame.

I think an APS-H would give prosumer users a great camera at a great price point. There seems to be quite a gap between the 7D and the 5D MK2 and not much of a difference between the 60D and the 7D (roughly speaking).

The 5D MK II is a professional camera aimed directly at wedding photographers.  The kind that do this for a living.  The 1D series is for professionals who need rugged bodies.

I'm sure that there are also many professionals who use 7D and XXD bodies, or even Rebel bodies.

My definition of professional is one that earns a living doing photography, not just someone who owns a $8,000 camera.

Also, if Canon are going to bin the APS-H wouldn't it make sense to keep this investment in R&D and use it in another product?

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »

Didn't Canon come up with that unthinkable 120 Megapixel CMOS sensor last year which was in the APS-H format? I guess that's Canon's way of maximizing its asset - by coming up with new prototypes usable for space exploration  ;D
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »

I don't believe you will ever see Canon change sensor sizes within the same series (7D, 60D, 5D, etc.) The consumer confusion and anger it would create would be a marketing nightmare.

I personally don't see the APS-H format being around much longer in SLRs (It could be used, however, for specific applications such as security cameras). I believe that technology is overtaking the format. That is, gains in resolution are narrowing the gap between APS-C and Full Frame and the APS-H format occupies a shrinking niche. The marginal gain in quality may soon be insufficient to justify the expense and effort of maintaining the format.

As it stands, Canon's lens lineup does not support the format at the wide end. I think they will drop the APS-H format and shift sports and wildlife shooters to either APS-C or to a 1Ds model that offers sufficient resolution to allow in-camera 1.3 and 1.6 cropping.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

hlphoto

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 05:26:53 AM »
I doubt that Canon has even started to spec out the 7D II in any serious way. It's at least a year and two other models (5D and 1Ds) away from being released.
You forgot the 650D, probably 700D, 70D and maybe even 1D Mk5 if they decide not to merge lines (7D was out just before 1D Mk4 was).

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
I doubt that Canon has even started to spec out the 7D II in any serious way. It's at least a year and two other models (5D and 1Ds) away from being released.
You forgot the 650D, probably 700D, 70D and maybe even 1D Mk5 if they decide not to merge lines (7D was out just before 1D Mk4 was).

I expect that they have it pretty well planned out, but I do not think anyone outside a very few at Canon are privy to the plan.  Many camera parts are long lead time, so you need to have a model planned a year before you plan to introduce it.  That does not mean everything is cast in stone, but, if they do not know what sensor, LCD, processor, etc they plan to use, it will be more than a year off.  you do not just decide these things and a week later cameras start rolling down the production line, all the prototyping, tooling, testing, etc take much longer than many think.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »

YoukY63

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »

I expect that they have it pretty well planned out, but I do not think anyone outside a very few at Canon are privy to the plan.  Many camera parts are long lead time, so you need to have a model planned a year before you plan to introduce it.  That does not mean everything is cast in stone, but, if they do not know what sensor, LCD, processor, etc they plan to use, it will be more than a year off.  you do not just decide these things and a week later cameras start rolling down the production line, all the prototyping, tooling, testing, etc take much longer than many think.
Definitely.
The development of a new sensor or a new body start before the release of the previous one! If 1DsIV will be released this summer, expect Canon to already start thinking about 1DsmV, what to change and improve, explore different options, etc... Such high grade camera is specced out maybe 1 year before release. Then start software development and debugging, real life testing, etc...

R&D is a very long process barely understood by many people. ;)
Canon 5D MkII + 24-105mm f/4L + 70-200mm f/4L IS + 35mm f/1.4L + 85mm f/1.2L + 135mm f/2L + Sigma 50mm f/1.4EX + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
Definitely.
The development of a new sensor or a new body start before the release of the previous one! If 1DsIV will be released this summer, expect Canon to already start thinking about 1DsmV, what to change and improve, explore different options, etc... Such high grade camera is specced out maybe 1 year before release. Then start software development and debugging, real life testing, etc...

R&D is a very long process barely understood by many people. ;)

The 1Ds MK IV prototypes have been spotted for three years now.  for a one series camera, development is longer than a year.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »
Just to clarify.

I was not referring to development, but rather to assigning specific specifications to the 7D Mark II – as in determining what the specific feature set of the new body will be.

The OP listed some very specific specifications, many of which can easily be changed (and probably will be changed) during the year prior to the release of a new body. These are already developed features and the final determination of what goes into the camera will be made based on market research and conditions closer to the time when actual production must begin.

My point was that it is a bit silly at this stage to believe any rumors about what the specific feature set the 7D Mark II might have.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 12:07:14 PM »
Just to clarify.

These are already developed features

"Vari-angle monitor 3" OLED 1.1 mil. pixels display (good in the sun)
Video 1080p mode with 30fps (or more) and Autofocus while filming
Live View WITH autofocus
Change able focusing screen (Rules of Thids 21 mp with ISO 100-25600 (less noice)
Continuous shooting 12fps Magnisium alloy body
Water resistant (Weathersealing)
19 AF points Both CF and SD slots
2X Digic V
GPS
Wireless or possibility to use Eye FI SD-card"

Which Canon camera has these already Developed features that can be added with no tooling or long lead orders? 

Oled Display?  not developed and certainly long lead time

Autofocus while filming?  Never seen this in a Canon DSLR.  I hope we get it

Changable Screen with rule of thirds?  7D has a lcd screen, adding a rule of thirds will require a new screen, the symbols that display on the lcd screen are designed into the screen, its hardware and software.

21MP APS-C sensor?  When and Where was this developed??

Continuous 12 FPS?  Haven't seen this in Canon either.

7D already has weather resistent sealing

Digic V - If its developed, we have not yet seen a camera with it.

Putting GPS into a camera requires a lot of development and testing, this is not a already developed item.

Wireless? 7D has wireless flash, and can use eye-Fi cards.  Adding a wireless file system is definitely requiring development and tooling. (existing ones use a lot of power and have their own battery.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:13:10 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Fleetie

• EOS M2
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »
Oh come on! If you need a screen with "Rule of Thirds" inscribed onto it, then you probably don't need a 7D! A screen should not prescribe what looks good and what doesn't.

Just compose the shot already!
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
Oh come on! If you need a screen with "Rule of Thirds" inscribed onto it, then you probably don't need a 7D! A screen should not prescribe what looks good and what doesn't.

Just compose the shot already!

Just discussing the rumored features, not passing judgement on any of them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »

Fleetie

• EOS M2
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
Wasn't criticising you, Spokane. More the original post, calling for thirds focussing screens. Not aimed at you!
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

surfing_geek

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
i would love 7d mk ii rumours, but i figure it's not going to happen for a while yet.  i'm guessing they have to get the big guns refreshed first, meaning we won't see a 7d update before the end of the year.  surely they've got to do the 1d(s) and 5d first!  i'm probably still not going to have the money for one by then, so will just keep saving and holding out for the replacement, whenever it may come.  in the meantime, i'll just make sure i get a computer that can cope with the files......my current one struggles with my 400d files, so no point in upgrading yet!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »