July 30, 2014, 09:40:20 AM

Author Topic: Opinions on Color Grading Lessons....Patrick Inhofer?  (Read 782 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Opinions on Color Grading Lessons....Patrick Inhofer?
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
Hi all,

I guess this is the best forum for this question....I'm wanting to learn color grading for my Canon 5D3 videos....and I like the Resolve system (Lite, can't afford the whole package)....

I've found this guys name is bandied about a good bit, Patrick Inhofer.

Is anyone familiar with his name and credits? Anyone taken any of his courses?

I'm looking possibly at getting this one he has up till Sat....where you grade along on a movie (zombies I think in this one)...

http://training.taoofcolor.com/

Anyway, if anyone has opinions about how this guys classes are and if it is workth it for the $250 - $290 or so he's charging (2nd one is a premium one with more Resolve specific training)....I'd sure appreciate some feedback.

Thank you,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Opinions on Color Grading Lessons....Patrick Inhofer?
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on Color Grading Lessons....Patrick Inhofer?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
Isn't DaVinci Resolve a bit overkill when you're not shooting video in RAW or 4K format?

I use Adobe CS6 and Speedgrade + Premiere Pro are perfectly adequate for 1920 x 1080 x 24p video, unless you wish to sell commercials or documentaries to broadcasting (TV) companies.

The new CS6 suite even allows you to use physical mixer boards to drive the virtual ones onscreen (if so inclined).

Well, sure, you can't do quite as much on the content from a 5D3 since it isn't RAW..BUT, you can't beat Resolve Lite for the price vs what you just listed.

Resolve 9 Lite, which has about 99% of what you get in regular Resolve 9, is FREE.

I bought FCPX for $300...and with the color tools in that, plus Resolve 9 Lite...I've saved a good bit of $$$ over the adobe suite you've listed above.

I'm trying right now, to get a friend of mine whose son just started college to get me the suite for the educational price of about $450....but really, way over a grand for the suite street price is a bit ridiculous IMHO...right now, I'm still buying lenses, tripods...etc.

And...who knows...if I get good enough at Resolve, maybe I can pick up a little freelance work...I live down in New Orleans, which due to tax breaks by the state, is rapidly becoming Hollywood South....so, lots of stuff going on here.

So, anyway...I guess the short answer is, no, for the price it isn't overkill....and you can do a LOT in it too...very good tools for tracking (amazing they give that away for free), the nodal based correction scheme is easy to work with, and interesting to learn. It is a pro tool...so, nothing wrong with learning that.

I'm shooting as flat as I can with my 5D3..so, I can do a decent bit of tweaking with Resolve and FCPX....but I need to learn a bit more about the tools, and color grading in general....

Thanks for the reply, all feedback welcome!!
:)

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Opinions on Color Grading Lessons....Patrick Inhofer?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »