October 20, 2014, 12:38:43 AM

Author Topic: Would you use it?  (Read 579 times)

nightsky87

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Would you use it?
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »
Okay, out of curiosity I'd like to ask this to the community.

Denoising images post-RAW (or in fact post-demosaicking) presents a few problems and artifacts (e.g. spatial noise correlation) which would otherwise be avoided when denoising the RAW 14/16-bit data. The problem is that AFAIK, plugins to RAW editing tools give access to post-demosaicked data so it would be difficult to incorporate it in existing software. An alternative option is to read RAW, denoise, and save as RAW again to fit into the workflow.

So the question is this... If such a software option were available that would allow you to denoise images better than DPP/LR/others, would you use it?

Of course, this has question has a follow-up. If space is a concern, you can overwrite the original RAW files but this is a destructive process. Otherwise, you can retain the original RAW files but use up more space. Which would you prefer?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:41:37 PM by nightsky87 »

canon rumors FORUM

Would you use it?
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »

Brand B

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Would you use it?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »
I think many here would be interested in such a tool. However you have titled your thread in a way that almost no one is going to read it. I suggest you repost with something informative in the title like improved RAW denoising tool any interest or something like that.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Would you use it?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »