October 21, 2014, 10:20:47 PM

Author Topic: Portrait - Trying something new  (Read 6671 times)

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Portrait - Trying something new
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
RPT: Thank you, you are correct that the photo is slightly off compositionally. I'll see if it can possibly be fixed with cropping, it's just one of those things... I still think the photo has promise, but it certainly could have been better if I took a little more time with it. You know how weddings go, quite a hectic day. I'm not sure about lengthening the knife, but it is something I will certainly try out to see how I feel about it.
You are very welcome. Don't get me wrong, the picture has promise. A few tweaks and I am sure you will be happy with the outcome. About the knife, that comment was for any such opportunity in the future. I did not mean for you to edit the knife...

As a wedding photographer, if the opportunity arises again in the future that I need to start bringing along larger knives, I'm going to start to get worried  ;D I grabbed the biggest one I had on the way out the door that morning, but maybe I'll have to pick up a larger butcher knife for future photo shoots.

I must admit, we got some crazy looks that day. A bride and groom with a photographer stalking them around a cemetery whilst carrying a butcher knife must look weird to some people. Not sure why. Thanks for your help.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 12:18:49 AM »

You run into some damn strange things doing weddings. I was on the street last weekend, and a giant limo pulled up and an entire bridal party got out. She apparently wanted to talk with a Santa who was on the corner waving at cars!

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 12:51:26 AM »

As a wedding photographer, if the opportunity arises again in the future that I need to start bringing along larger knives, I'm going to start to get worried  ;D
As long as you are holding the knives and axes, no worry ;)

And you will need special gear to hold them. I wonder if CR is going to have a giveaway on a knife and axe belt ;)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
Great picture! One thing I would do: position the model slightly to the right, so her head is not intersecting the window sill...

I agree completely, but it's too late to reposition her now =) Just something I'll have to pay better attention to next time.
[/quote]

You could try to use the new content aware move tool in CS6, but it might be hard given the busy background, and lack of space for it to get a good match.
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »

As a wedding photographer, if the opportunity arises again in the future that I need to start bringing along larger knives, I'm going to start to get worried  ;D

And you will need special gear to hold them. I wonder if CR is going to have a giveaway on a knife and axe belt ;)

I'm not even kidding, that was one of the most difficult parts of my day! I was lugging around a ThinkTank Airport Security suitcase with all my gear in it... and couldn't for the life of me think of where to put this stupid knife. I didn't want to put it in one of the front pouches, for fear of cutting up my bad (They are just elastic on the front) and the inside was completely full... So I opted to hand carry it and get a little bit of unwanted attention.

You could try to use the new content aware move tool in CS6, but it might be hard given the busy background, and lack of space for it to get a good match.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot, but I highly doubt I will like the results due to the background. It doesn't help that her head intersects the window either. I'll post an updated photo in a couple days when I have some off-time to work on it again.

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
The Sirren, first, I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to the thread with your ideas. However, the image you posted, is at about the opposite spectrum of style I'm shooting for. Super over processed, tacky selective blurring (Obviously just my opinion, just trying to help you get a feel of what I'm shooting for here) and her dress looks almost silver now.

Also, unless you rotated it, flipping makes the tilt look even more extreme. Can't tell if you did that of it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. Either way, I don't like the idea of flipping the image, as the Bride and Groom will also be able to tell it was instantly flipped. Again, I apologize if I sounded harsh, I do appreciate your time, this just isn't the direction I'd like to go with the photo.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »

I'm not even kidding, that was one of the most difficult parts of my day! I was lugging around a ThinkTank Airport Security suitcase with all my gear in it... and couldn't for the life of me think of where to put this stupid knife. I didn't want to put it in one of the front pouches, for fear of cutting up my bad (They are just elastic on the front) and the inside was completely full... So I opted to hand carry it and get a little bit of unwanted attention.
Wow! I did not think about that...

Anyway, I would like to know what you finally go with - no pressure - only if you think you'd like to share...
I have never done themes like this so I am curious...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »

DragonTEC

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
I did a quick rundown in Lightroom myself.. I know the bride looks kind of misplaced and I'm really no wedding photographer, but I wanted to share what road I would take with the photo and hope it might be of any help for you. :)

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 03:20:01 AM »
To be honest, I can't really find a style that I like. I've tried some clouds with a bluish tint, and I just can't come up with something I love. I feel like I'm wasting too much time on this one picture, when I have about 200 others to edit.

Here's what I've done so far. I basically just used a stronger vignette with some clouds to give the vignette some texture. I also cropped it a bit to improve it a little compositionally. Thoughts?

pp77

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:24 AM »
There is one thing that somehow disturbs me. The guy in the house is far away from the bride, she seems  to be unreachable for him from his point, even with this huge kitchen knife. One could have placed him on either side of the house looking around the corner. This might have added some ""realism"" to the image...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:24 AM »