October 01, 2014, 04:52:18 PM

Author Topic: 6D or 5D3 (or wait for 7d2?)  (Read 13593 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 6D or 5D3 (or wait for 7d2?)
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
K-amp,
I played with 6D for 2days at local camera shop(friend of mine is a store manger). Let just say this.....6D is not for me - lack of AF points, not enough x-cross type, size, no joy stick etc...

Did you have any thoughts on how 6D rendered color and light dynamics? I actually sent mine back because of those and went for a 5D3 instead. But still wondering if I just got a dud since nobody else seems to be noticing anything along those lines.

Hi skitron,
No comments on rendered color and light dynamics. I was more focus on AF system and low light/higher ISO. It's a great camera for those jump from Rebel to entry FF.

I prefer 5D III and will get another one as 2nd body. Hope B&H and adoroma will have some deals on 5D III ;) this x-mas.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »

sleepy

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
Great topic, because I have a similar problem. If I'm taking pictures of my kids (ages 5 and 3), and they rarely sit still, wouldn't that be akin to sports photography (ie. fast moving subjects)? I do the portraits too, but when I'm outside with them, they're constantly running around.

I feel like I might be better off with a camera with a great AF system like the 7D or 7Dii (?). What do you think?

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
I know I'm late in the game for posting, but I went for the 6d. The image quality is super for what I like doing. Candid shots, event/fluff work, family and friends and everything else.

I upgraded cause I was tired of my old camera not doing what I wanted it to do and the image quality. Couldn't afford the 5dIII, I saw the deals and was tempted. I had to realize what I can afford. So I went for the 6d for the lighter body and low light capabilities.

I have big hands and don't have a problem with the 6d layout. I really like it. I can adjust the top settings and the back buttons with my index finger and thumb while looking through the view finder. The outer points are pretty good in my opinion, but I'm not a tester.

With the 70-200 2.8 non IS, the focusing is super fast. I'm really happy for what I can do with the camera. The 24-105 is my dedicated lens. Its a great combo for a lot of things I shoot.

What ever you decide, you can't go wrong.

Here is a sample from my 6d just walking around by the Berkeley Pier.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:21:32 PM by dexstrose »

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »
Great topic, because I have a similar problem. If I'm taking pictures of my kids (ages 5 and 3), and they rarely sit still, wouldn't that be akin to sports photography (ie. fast moving subjects)? I do the portraits too, but when I'm outside with them, they're constantly running around.

I feel like I might be better off with a camera with a great AF system like the 7D or 7Dii (?). What do you think?

I thought the 6D AF was decent enough in AI servo when doing a "kid test". I sent mine back due to color and dynamic rendering issues, but nobody else has noticed anything along those lines so mine was apparently just a dud in that respect. But imo, the AF passed the kid test...definite improvement over 5D2.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »
Keep in mind I don't know what I'm talking about, but I have a sense that using the best lens(es) possible and constantly improving technique are more important than the body (as long as your body's at least pretty good) and that the main benefit might be high ISO performance. 

It seems to me that you know exactly what you are talking about!  ;)
Although I love talking about gear as much as the next guy, in the end, what really matters is the talent of the photograph, and not how sophisticated is his camera. For instance, most of my favorite stills where taken before the invention of AF and DSLR, so it seems that it is always possible to take great pictures without perfect AF and high frame rates.

Also, as far as "technical quality" goes, the lens matters much more than the body; for me, you are far better with an low-end body and high-end lens than the opposite. Except for ISO performance, most of the low-end body problems can be overcome by the photograph with a bit more effort, and even for ISO, it is sometime possible to find a solution to use lower ISO and keep a good exposure. Of course, everyone has his own way of  taking picture, which is affected by what he is shooting; I personally uses manual focus 99.99% of the time and manual exposure 100% of the time, so I might be bias in my opinion. It is always more about choosing the camera that feels right for you than the one with the biggest numbers in the specs.  :)
Thanks for saying.  I was fishing for that.
On a side note, I'm undecided between a 70-300L or 300 4.0 IS to complement my 100 2.0 and 200 2.8.  The zoom or 300 prime would be for outdoor sports/events.  The 100 and 200 are PERFECT beyond belief for indoor sports.
Much appreciated.

the 300 f4L IS is a great lens i love its handling on my 5D bodies older design with only 2 stop IS thats noisy but i picked mine up on ebay for $800 its a fantastic bang for buck lens and its sharp wide open
APS-H Fanboy

scuba_steve

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 01:14:58 AM »
I am struggling with the same decision.  90% of my shots are indoor sports...with fast moving action and poor lighting.

I have a 40D now...and my go to lens is a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II...and my walk around is the Canon 17-55 f2.8.  I have a couple of other lenses, but these two are responsible for most of my shots.

A 7D Mk2 would let me keep the 17-55 and give me great sports photography.  A 6D would give me the better low-light performance that I crave.  I suppose if I had to do it today, I would go for the 7D Mk2...if it existed...and looked like it had decent specs...and the price was not ridiculous.  I suppose the 7D's final specs and price will be the final decision maker for me.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:16:52 AM by scuba_steve »

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I am struggling with the same decision.  90% of my shots are indoor sports...with fast moving action and poor lighting.

I have a 40D now...and my go to lens is a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II...and my walk around is the Canon 17-55 f2.8.  I have a couple of other lenses, but these two are responsible for most of my shots.

A 7D Mk2 would let me keep the 17-55 and give me great sports photography.  A 6D would give me the better low-light performance that I crave.  I suppose if I had to do it today, I would go for the 7D Mk2...if it existed...and looked like it had decent specs...and the price was not ridiculous.  I suppose the 7D's final specs and price will be the final decision maker for me.

Funny we have the same lenses, and the same thought process, although you are more seriously into the sports shooting.  I would love to keep with crop (a 7D2) and my 17-55, but between the fact that it must be at least a year or more away, and the fact it probably won't gain more than 1/2 stop in ISO performance, I think I am deciding to go FF.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »