September 23, 2014, 04:35:13 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body for $2599 via eBay  (Read 22288 times)

dergachev

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body for $2599 via eBay
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
Received the 5d mark iii from them day before yesterday, which I ordered on black friday for $2499. Would give them a mixed review.

I called them shortly after ordering to ask if I could change the shipping address, which they said they couldn't do. At that point I asked them to ship it to the original address, and hung up. Two weeks later and still no sign of the camera, so I call them. They say that they hadn't shipped it still due to having placed the order on hold, apologized, and promised that the item would be delivered with a day or two. I also asked them to be sure to use a shipping method with signature confirmation.

When the item was delivered the next day, it was by "UPS Ground" and was left by our front-door, unattended.

So I got a great deal, but it required an extra phone call, and it could have turned out badly.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/us/thefts-a-concern-as-holiday-deliveries-increase.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »

ckwaller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »

</strong><em>It has been asked a lot as to whether or not these cameras have a warranty that Canon will honour. The simple answer is yes, these cameras have a full one year Canon USA warranty. </em></p>
[/html]

Yes, but will the camera come packaged with a US/Canada Warranty Card is another question entirely...

As mentioned in a previous thread, I pulled the trigger on this and purchased a 5D3 body on Thanksgiving night ($2,886.06 shipped). After missing the original arrival date (11/29) by more than a week, my camera finally shipped through UPS.

Thing is, my camera shipped from Miami, FL instead of Somerset NJ. It arrived without a warranty card. It seems like depending on where the camera ships from determines whether it comes with a warranty card or not. I did call Canon USA twice and they did say that Canon will honor the warranty if you can produce your original receipt. However, some folks on this board will have you believe that unless you ordered from an authorized dealer (B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc) then Canon will not honor the warranty, no matter what...so your mileage may vary depending on who you speak with.

Yes, bigvalueinc does have great feedback, but a quick Google search will show that Bigvalueinc's been caught up in scams before (although they have evidently cleaned up their act). All negative feedback has mainly occurred from the Thanksgiving period, when they started shipping from Florida, canceling orders entirely, or delaying shipments by weeks.

Outside of that, the overall deal for the camera cannot be beat and if you're prepared to accept a lack of customer service, and many levels of "grey," then I say jump on the deal. Just use caution. I hope those who pull the trigger have a better experience than I (and others on the board) did.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:13:37 PM by ckwaller »

docfrance

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Marty France Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »
Been trying to execute this deal for almost 24 hours and have been denied every time via PayPal.  My guess is that the company is blanket denying everyone so that you have to call into them directly, at which time they cajole you (or try) into getting additional crap, warranties, etc.  The $3476 for the package with the 24-105mm is a gr great deal, but I've already wasted a couple of hours trying to make this happen, so the diminishing returns are such that I'd just pulled the trigger with Adorama at $3599 and moved on, saving me hours of hassle for the relatively paltry $123.  anyone want to by a 15-85mm lens?
5D Mk III, 7D, Rebel XT, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon 15-85mm EF-S, 24-105mm F4L, 40mm STM, 50mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L Macro, 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, 2X Tele III

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
Hmmmm, I bought one and it went straight through paypal, no problems.  I even used a new credit card I'd never used before.  It sounds like there might be issues with your paypal account, not with them.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
Been trying to execute this deal for almost 24 hours and have been denied every time via PayPal.  My guess is that the company is blanket denying everyone so that you have to call into them directly, at which time they cajole you (or try) into getting additional crap, warranties, etc.  The $3476 for the package with the 24-105mm is a gr great deal, but I've already wasted a couple of hours trying to make this happen, so the diminishing returns are such that I'd just pulled the trigger with Adorama at $3599 and moved on, saving me hours of hassle for the relatively paltry $123.  anyone want to by a 15-85mm lens?

I had similar experience with Paypal once.  Log into Paypal and make sure your accounts are verified.  Mine credit card was locked by Paypal until I verified it... again.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »

</strong><em>It has been asked a lot as to whether or not these cameras have a warranty that Canon will honour. The simple answer is yes, these cameras have a full one year Canon USA warranty. </em></p>
[/html]

Yes, but will the camera come packaged with a US/Canada Warranty Card is another question entirely...

As mentioned in a previous thread, I pulled the trigger on this and purchased a 5D3 body on Thanksgiving night ($2,886.06 shipped). After missing the original arrival date (11/29) by more than a week, my camera finally shipped through UPS.

Thing is, my camera shipped from Miami, FL instead of Somerset NJ. It arrived without a warranty card. It seems like depending on where the camera ships from determines whether it comes with a warranty card or not. I did call Canon USA twice and they did say that Canon will honor the warranty if you can produce your original receipt. However, some folks on this board will have you believe that unless you ordered from an authorized dealer (B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc) then Canon will not honor the warranty, no matter what...so your mileage may vary depending on who you speak with.

Yes, bigvalueinc does have great feedback, but a quick Google search will show that Bigvalueinc's been caught up in scams before (although they have evidently cleaned up their act). All negative feedback has mainly occurred from the Thanksgiving period, when they started shipping from Florida, canceling orders entirely, or delaying shipments by weeks.

Outside of that, the overall deal for the camera cannot be beat and if you're prepared to accept a lack of customer service, and many levels of "grey," then I say jump on the deal. Just use caution. I hope those who pull the trigger have a better experience than I (and others on the board) did.

Big Value is sketchy..but they do deliver your camera eventually. It’s a $700 savings off the going rate!!!…Since you are protected by eBay and PayPal buying guarantees…I think for that kind of savings it is worth the inconveniences. The outfit probably makes so little money on the sales that they are just very under staffed to handle business correctly.
Believe me…I do not like seeing this low price…as I paid $3499 for my 5DIII..but if I had this opportunity to do it over I DEFINITELY would! I live in NJ and would have to pay 7 percent tax and it would still be very worth it!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »
Received the 5d mark iii from them day before yesterday, which I ordered on black friday for $2499. Would give them a mixed review.

I called them shortly after ordering to ask if I could change the shipping address, which they said they couldn't do. At that point I asked them to ship it to the original address, and hung up. Two weeks later and still no sign of the camera, so I call them. They say that they hadn't shipped it still due to having placed the order on hold, apologized, and promised that the item would be delivered with a day or two. I also asked them to be sure to use a shipping method with signature confirmation.

When the item was delivered the next day, it was by "UPS Ground" and was left by our front-door, unattended.

So I got a great deal, but it required an extra phone call, and it could have turned out badly.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/us/thefts-a-concern-as-holiday-deliveries-increase.html

I'm always curious.  What happens if your package is stolen?  Is it the shippers responsibility... (they sent it via UPS/FEDEX and UPS/FEDEX said they dropped it off at the right address).  Is it your responsibility for living in a less than safe neighborhood.

And what happens.  Do you call the police and file a report and then submit that to the company and hope they have insurance on the package.

And if they have insurance on the package, does that expire as soon as the package is placed on the front door?? 

And if you do lose a $2500 camera, do you file a homeowners claim since it was on your property? 

This whole process can be disconcerting. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »

I'm always curious.  What happens if your package is stolen?  Is it the shippers responsibility... (they sent it via UPS/FEDEX and UPS/FEDEX said they dropped it off at the right address).  Is it your responsibility for living in a less than safe neighborhood.

And what happens.  Do you call the police and file a report and then submit that to the company and hope they have insurance on the package.

And if they have insurance on the package, does that expire as soon as the package is placed on the front door?? 

And if you do lose a $2500 camera, do you file a homeowners claim since it was on your property? 

This whole process can be disconcerting.

it's simple. If you live in an unsafe neighborhood you just make special shipping arrangements with Big Value, (signature-required shipping, etc.)They will do that. OR you go to the UPS Website when the package ships and have them hold it at their facility.  It's 2012...there are lots of POSITIVE options! :-)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:38:56 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

docfrance

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
B&H just lowered the package (w/ 24-105mm) to $3599 to match Adorama, and sweetened the deal with a free extra battery and 16GB Sandisk CF card (plus some Lowepro bad I don't need).  I took the plunge and will have it on Thursday.  Salivating has begun.
5D Mk III, 7D, Rebel XT, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon 15-85mm EF-S, 24-105mm F4L, 40mm STM, 50mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L Macro, 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, 2X Tele III

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
I bought one of these yesterday from Big Value - I'll note that they already marked it as shipped (created the shipping label) have sent 2 email updates and marked the delivery as "Signature Required", so they probably have listened to criticisms from previous orders.   

carrjar

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
I also purchased from Big Value Inc.  I placed order at 1:15pm on 12/8, received a processing email at 10:09am on 12/9, marked shipped at 6:24pm on 12/9 with UPS tracking #.  I'll feel a little more comfortable when the tracking info displays actual "movement".  I'll keep everyone posted.  They've had a lot of negative feedback, but they've had A LOT of positive transactions.  Case of risk/reward.  We shall see.

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »
Mine now indicates that it has left the UPS station, and shipped from NJ (not FL), so that's a good sign.  Delivery in one week from today.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
My 2499$ 5D3 package just came in. It has everything as promised and is in perfect condition. (Of course no 24-105L)

Great deal but took nearly 3 weeks to arrive.  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
Sweet 8)... & saved $1000.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

docfrance

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
Just got shipping confirmation from B&H for my kit.  Added a protective UV filter (Hoya) and a hoodie.  Arrival due this Thursday.  Salivating won't stop.  It'll arrive just in time for a holiday trip to northern Europe where I'll have plenty of opportunity to test it's High ISO/Low Light Performance (and probably the weather sealing, too!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »