August 20, 2014, 06:44:02 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body for $2599 via eBay  (Read 21339 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body for $2599 via eBay
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
I received my Canon 5D MKiii from BigValueInc.

Many people have complained that the cameras (advertized USA market) were, in fact, grey market. LOOK CLOSER - The camera that I received has a FAKE SERIAL NUMBER

BigValueInc sold me a STOLEN Canon 5D mk iii!!!

It is disappointing that I received the recommendation from CanonRumors. I am currently trying to get this resolved.

BigValueInc is unapologetic for selling stolen gear. They deny that the camera is stolen despite the fact that they sent me the counterfeit serial and that the REAL serial is embedded in the camera's bios.

Mike

It is likely that the camera came from Hong Kong, others have found the issue before.  It is apparently Canon or some dealer in Hong Kong who has been giving refurbished cameras a new serial number and selling them to unsuspecting dealers as new.  Before blaming a seller who probably bought the camera from Canon or a Hong Kong dealer and was told it was new and a US model, be sure you have proof that they knew.

I'd suggest raising the issue with Canon USA, or just returning it.  It should absolutely be reported to ebay. However, you need to tell them something coherent, and not babble about theft and other things about which you have no proof .   Stick to the facts and state them clearly, don't make assumptions, the facts are all you need and they are quite damming if presented clearly and factually.

I'd suggest that you send ebay, big value, and Canon a copy of the EXIF data showing the internal serial number along with a photo of the external nameplate.  Also include a copy of the article(s) below.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?113459-Purchased-a-Grey-Market-camera-recently-Is-it-GENUINE

Post the info here or send it to me and I'll forward it to CR Guy.

Good Luck,  We are all going be interested in hearing the outcome.

http://www.photographyireland.net/fake-canon-bodies-alert-t46891.html

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/canon-counterfeit-camera-90917

http://www.flickr.com/groups/eos7d/discuss/72157627139783580/

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00TF2d?start=20

For the past 10yrs I travel to China & Hong Kong a lot. What Mt Spokane Photography mentioned above are true on street business. Nothing new to me.

Ask yourself these questions:
1. BVI is not an authoized dealer, then, where do they get all these 5D III from?
2. BVI claimed camera is NEW, then why many people received camera with missing battery and other original accessories?
3. Authoized dealer selling for $3400ish, WHY BVI sells for $1000 less?

I don't believe authorized dealers earn $1000 commission on $3500 body.

Soon or later, the TRUE will leak ::)

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »
i bought mine also on 12/9 for the 2,599 deal.

the camera i received was brand new and unopened and works perfect (had to buy a battery locally from our messed up rip-off of a dealer to check it tho)

in simple terms buyer beware, i trusted BVI and got bit and really doubt they will resolve my issue any time soon, so might as well suck it up and buy the missing parts separately.

With missing battery, I'm amazed how he said "the camera I received was brand new and unopened and works perfect"
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
You seemed to have removed the original story about the  Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body for $2599 via eBay yet the one for the 6D is still up there ???

fyah5dmarkiii

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »
I have dealt with BVI and received everything as stated in the Ebay sale. Camera was new and serial number in exif matched warranty card. I would just call BVI, return it and ask for a replacement.

Mike

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
Thank you for the links. The serial number on my camera was not swapped as in the attached posts - it is a photocopy onto paper. If the camera were from Hong Kong, why would they waste their effort and devalue the camera by ripping off the original serial number and replacing it with a paper fake. If anyone has insight, please share.

Note that the fake serial number is
1) miscut (the "C" of Cannon is touching the cut edge
2) smaller than the original (by 5%-10%)
3) not foil, but paper
3) the wrong tone (all black, rather than Canon's greyish label with black serial stamped into the rectangular space)
4) pasted on poorly (partly peeling off and a kinked corner)
5) does not match either the serial on the box (there was a shoddy job of trying to cover that up), or the actual serial number of the camera (easily checked in the EXIF data).
6) some glue from the original serial still on the camera (remember the fake serial plate was smaller than the original).

BigValueInc has thus far been disinterested in fixing this situation. Hopefully I can count of Ebay buyer protection to recover my money. Luckily, I did not return the camera using the regular post they suggested, but  a traceable post.

I think we need some more awareness of the difference between 'grey market' and 'black market'. Grey market signifies from 'another market', and has local warranty implications of course. I do not have a problem with open commerce, thus I do not have any issues with grey market. I do, however, have issues with black market - particularly when the item was quoted as being "new" in an unopened box. We really do need more honesty in this world.

gilgamesh

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
Hey all. First time posting, but long time reader, so thanks for all the great info over the last while.

I just upgraded my t3i with a 5diii from Big Value Inc on one of their sales we're talking about here. I was quite concerned after reading the possibility of it being black market - I am okay with grey, but I would hate the idea that something I bought on sale was stolen from someone else. I actually had my retina macbook stolen last week, so I know the horrible feeling when something is lost like that... and I wouldn't want to profit off someone else's misery.

Anyhow, from the recommendation of the site, and the good reviews on eBay, I decided to pull the trigger on the 5diii. It arrived today and I tried keep an eye out concerning the details Mike and others have mentioned about faulty serials and bad stickers, etc.

The box it came in itself originally came with a kit lens (which I expected) with it taken out. The box and all the contents other than that were in excellent condition though. All the parts listed were in the box (other than the lens, hood, and case). I got a package deal with a sd card, camera case, and couple batteries, an extra charger, and those were in the outer box it was delivered in. They seem to be fine so far.

The serial # on the box, on the camera, and on EXIF data all match. The sticker on the camera is metallic and seems like the ones I've seen online. The C in the Canon name is pretty close to the sticker edge though, but doesn't seem out of place or fake.

I've played with the camera a bit, and so far it seems to be working properly.

I registered the camera with Canon, and they didn't say anything when registering (though like someone pointed out if something went wrong who knows what they'd say). My feeling is this is a perfectly new camera that was part of a kit, and the kit lens was taken out, and that's all.

Overall, I am relieved. The price was perfect - 2569.98 (I count myself lucky considering what many have paid and will pay) and the camera seems to be new. I really hope BVI addresses the issue Mike wrote about though. Good luck!

modenadude

• SX50 HS
  • www.flickr.com/modenadude
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
Thanks for your input, gilgamesh and jamiya. It's unfortunate how one person's regrettable situation can place a dark cloud over something that so many other people seem to have had positive experiences with.

I also purchased from the same auction and FedEx has it tracking to deliver tomorrow. I will do the same check as you've done and report back what I receive, with photos. I also contacted BVI (thought their demeanor was excellent) both through phone and e-mail to confirm the 5D III is a Canon USA model and thus have it in writing that it is, in case I need to open a case with BVI or PayPal. Whether the registration card comes or not is meaningless so long as it's a Canon USA model (in terms of the Canon warranty -- as no where on the Warranty agreement online does it state the need to purchase the camera FROM a Canon authorized seller, just that it be Canon USA, that I'm the original purchaser and that I have a bill of sale, for date purposes). BVI also mentioned their in-house warranty, so I don't see what problems can possible come.

If the camera is in fact genuine Canon USA, there's no way to lose with a BVI purchase. Canon should honor the warranty if any problems appear, and we saved a grand that we can put to a new L glass. No risk, all reward.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »

jamiya3000

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker. I bought the 5D Mark III through the deal posted two days ago for $2545 and can confirm receipt of a brand new 5D Mark III. Everything was in the box, SEALED just like any camera you'd purchased from B&H. The serial numbers match and all original items were included. It was the camera with the kit lens with the lens removed.

I also contacted the seller prior to my purchase and they were nothing but curteous. I expressed my concern about the warranty not being honored by Canon and I was told if Canon happens to not honor the warranty, Big Value Inc would give me a 90 days labor and 1 year parts warranty to cover any issues that may occur.

This is my second 5D Mark III I've purchased from them in the past year and my experience has never been less than stellar. I vouch for them and if you experience any issues, eBay, Paypal, and your bank will have your back. No need to be on the fence unless the warranty service is a major concern. Happy shopping guys!

Jamiya

Jim O

• EOS M2
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »
I also contacted the seller prior to my purchase and they were nothing but curteous. I expressed my concern about the warranty not being honored by Canon and I was told if Canon happens to not honor the warranty, Big Value Inc would give me a 90 days labor and 1 year parts warranty to cover any issues that may occur.

Not to rain on your parade, but did you happen to get that in writing? The odds are you will be fine, but if they are completely on the up and up, they should offer you the same one year parts and labor warranty offered by Canon USA - http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/support/warranty/warranty_EOS_digital_camera.pdf, since they *know* they will never be called to honor it. I say this because they are not "authorized" dealers. See http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf for a list of authorized dealers. They are not on it. These bodies may be from USA kits that they buy in bulk from authorized dealers, but then the warranty may start the day they made the purchase, not the day they sold it to you.

On the other hand, you bought the camera at an incredible discount compared to the current prices at Amazon/B&H/Adorama ($3499 - 4% "rewards" or ~$3359 assuming you use the reward dollars). At the very worst, that price difference is insurance against the unlikely event of a repair that you might need in the first year that might not be covered. Unless it's an extremely expensive repair, which is indeed highly unlikely, you will still be ahead of the game. I think it's a bit of a gamble, but one I might take too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:03:56 AM by Jim O »
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:28 AM »
Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker. I bought the 5D Mark III through the deal posted two days ago for $2545 and can confirm receipt of a brand new 5D Mark III. Everything was in the box, SEALED just like any camera you'd purchased from B&H. The serial numbers match and all original items were included. It was the camera with the kit lens with the lens removed.

I don't think any major Canon product (camera or lens) I've ever received from B&H has been sealed (or from Amazon or anyone else).  Canon doesn't seal their boxes.

jamiya3000

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
Not to rain on your parade, but did you happen to get that in writing? The odds are you will be fine, but if they are completely on the up and up, they should offer you the same one year parts and labor warranty offered by Canon USA - http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/support/warranty/warranty_EOS_digital_camera.pdf, since they *know* they will never be called to honor it. I say this because they are not "authorized" dealers. See http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf for a list of authorized dealers. They are not on it. These bodies may be from USA kits that they buy in bulk from authorized dealers, but then the warranty may start the day they made the purchase, not the day they sold it to you.

On the other hand, you bought the camera at an incredible discount compared to the current prices at Amazon/B&H/Adorama ($3499 - 4% "rewards" or ~$3359 assuming you use the reward dollars). At the very worst, that price difference is insurance against the unlikely event of a repair that you might need in the first year that might not be covered. Unless it's an extremely expensive repair, which is indeed highly unlikely, you will still be ahead of the game. I think it's a bit of a gamble, but one I might take too.

Yep, I did get it in writing. I'm not too concerned as I have a few cameras and 7 years of working, I've yet to have any major issues with my gear. If Canon won't honor the warranty, I'll take the issue up with BVI. I have copies of our email correspondence just in case. I was just happy to get one at such a great price. No one I'm paying $3500 for the Mark III. It's an awesome camera don't get me wrong, but grossly overpriced in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:05:56 PM by jamiya3000 »

jamiya3000

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
I don't think any major Canon product (camera or lens) I've ever received from B&H has been sealed (or from Amazon or anyone else).  Canon doesn't seal their boxes.

What I meant by sealed is all the included items inside the box were sealed. Sealed batter, sealed manuals, sealed discs, etc. The camera was in the same shipping condition as one you'd buy from anywhere else. Brand new. :)

Jim O

• EOS M2
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »
I haven't from Amazon/B&H/etc either, but I just received a refurbished 28-70 f/2.8L II from Canon USA directly, and it was sealed (in a white box).
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
I haven't from Amazon/B&H/etc either, but I just received a refurbished 28-70 f/2.8L II from Canon USA directly, and it was sealed (in a white box).

Every Canon refurb I've purchased has been sealed, but no new items have been.

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »

Every Canon refurb I've purchased has been sealed, but no new items have been.

I only have one refurb from Canon (a lens) and I can't remember if it was sealed or not but based on these posts I can assume it was.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »