April 21, 2014, 03:24:31 AM

Author Topic: History Lesson: Canon FDn 1200 f/5.6L 1.4x Lens Images  (Read 6576 times)

hendrik-sg

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: History Lesson: Canon FDn 1200 f/5.6L 1.4x Lens Images
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »
Hallo M.ST.

Wow great for you that you have to possibility of owning one of the rarest and most exotic lenses.

I would also like to ask you for a comparision of this lens with other lenses, maybe the 600 + 2x or the 800+ 1.4x.

Nowhere in the web are any informations about the optical quality of this lens, just the specs whick are spectacular without any doubt. Maybe Mr Carnathan from "the-digital-picture.com" would like to shoot his standard comparisions with this lens.

Thanks in advance for sharing :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:29:21 AM »
It's interesting the size of the bulge on the teleconverter, looking at that I can see how the converter could easily be moved out of the way. Anyone know how it works internally on the new 200-400? That's quite small by comparison but I thought being at the rear the teleconverter elements would have to be about the same for any focal length.

Uh, what? The 200-400 has a similar bulge, and it apparently drew the ire of Canon's testers, according to a previous post here.

I think he means the bulge on the 200-400 is significantly smaller, and it is.  If you picture a whole 1.4X converter swapping in and out, you would need a big bulge.  But of course most of a normal 1.4X is just the lens tube, the structure that holds the camera and larger lens.  The actual glass elements are way smeller.
Indeed that's what I meant, and taking a look at my extender see what Tex means so I should be more observant. Kind of disappointing though, I'd hoped Canon had developed some sort of TARDIS-like technology  ;D.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:38 AM »
Awesome.  Like a stopped clock, every so often am right!  One of the threads about the 200-400 has a video of the extender swapping in and out, so you can get a better idea of it's size.

And MS.T  owns a 1200mm?  Double Awesome!.  Party at MS.T's house!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:54:13 AM by TexPhoto »

toddbuchanan

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »
Olympics and Pulitzers: I thought I would pass along my experience with Canon 1200/5.6 from the 84' Olympics which led to a great shot and part of a Pulitzer prize.

I was working at the Orange County Register in SoCal and was assigned to cover the 100K Cycling race in Mission Viejo. To get the shot I wanted, I would have to camp out over night in the backyard of local that looked straight down at the finish line but I was going to need a monster of a lens and when I heard about the Canon 1200, I knew it would do the trick. I camped out the night before and as the race unfolded the next day it came down to a sprint to the finish between the Canadian and Alex Grewal of the US and was literally so close at the finish line that there was no jubilation until about 50 yards past the finish line. It was perfect from my vantage point and a nightmare for the pool photographers who were getting his rear-end since the Olypic Pool position was right at the finish line!

Then it was topped off when the next year, the Register was selected for a Pulitzer prize for our Olympic Photo coverage and that images was part of the entry.

I had other occasions to use the lens for other sports events, but in SoCal, you had to be careful using it on a hot day at ground level as it would pick up so much of the heat waves coming of the ground, that it would compormise your focus....They are a pretty amazing piece of glass and a fond memory for me!

Todd Buchanan
www.toddbuchanan.com

Photo: Mission Viejo, CA- Los Angeles Olympics 1984 Alexi Grewal wins the Gold medal in the 100 Kilometer bicycle road race to win for the United States team.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
Simply an extreme lens in every way.

Extremely Heavy.

Extremely Expensive.

Extremely Awesome.

8)
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
Doing some Google searching I found that another company (rhymes with Flycon) has/had a similar lens.  The explanation of why the lens was made is interesting.

http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/recollections/r16_e/index.htm

Very interesting. And I love how they don't ever once give the name of the competitor :)

Olympics and Pulitzers: I thought I would pass along my experience with Canon 1200/5.6 from the 84' Olympics which led to a great shot and part of a Pulitzer prize.

I was working at the Orange County Register in SoCal and was assigned to cover the 100K Cycling race in Mission Viejo. To get the shot I wanted, I would have to camp out over night in the backyard of local that looked straight down at the finish line but I was going to need a monster of a lens and when I heard about the Canon 1200, I knew it would do the trick. I camped out the night before and as the race unfolded the next day it came down to a sprint to the finish between the Canadian and Alex Grewal of the US and was literally so close at the finish line that there was no jubilation until about 50 yards past the finish line. It was perfect from my vantage point and a nightmare for the pool photographers who were getting his rear-end since the Olypic Pool position was right at the finish line!

Then it was topped off when the next year, the Register was selected for a Pulitzer prize for our Olympic Photo coverage and that images was part of the entry.

I had other occasions to use the lens for other sports events, but in SoCal, you had to be careful using it on a hot day at ground level as it would pick up so much of the heat waves coming of the ground, that it would compormise your focus....They are a pretty amazing piece of glass and a fond memory for me!

Todd Buchanan
www.toddbuchanan.com

Photo: Mission Viejo, CA- Los Angeles Olympics 1984 Alexi Grewal wins the Gold medal in the 100 Kilometer bicycle road race to win for the United States team.

Awesome story. That's really awesome, and a great shot. I guess that's just what you have to do to get the shot you want, camp out where you need to be and bring a BIG lens :)
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »