August 31, 2014, 02:31:17 AM

Author Topic: Signature Creation  (Read 7754 times)

chrismartinez.co.uk

Signature Creation
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
Firstly apologies if im being a little stupid here (entirely possible), but as a new member of the foums i can't find out where i go to create a signature for my posts.

i assumed in account settings but i cant seem to find the option to create one.  ive had a look at the SMF help but that doesnt really help unfortunately.

Any help the other forum users can offer me would be much apreciated.

Thank you in advance.

canon rumors FORUM

Signature Creation
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Signature Creation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »
Profile -> Forum Profile -> Signature.

You'll need to have a certain # of posts before you can do that though.  I'm not sure what that number is off the top of my head though (maybe 10).

chrismartinez.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »
Thanks Chewy, it's not available to me yet, but i guess it will be soon then...thanks for the prompt reply

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »
Firstly apologies if im being a little stupid here (entirely possible), but as a new member of the foums i can't find out where i go to create a signature for my posts.

i assumed in account settings but i cant seem to find the option to create one.  ive had a look at the SMF help but that doesnt really help unfortunately.

Any help the other forum users can offer me would be much apreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, robots have been signing up and creating links in the signature field for all SMF based forums.  We had to remove several thousand users who had done nothing but signup and add a bunch of links to the signature field. 

Now, we wait for the user to post a few relavant posts to show he is a real person, and then the signature field is activated.

That was the solution recommended for SMF, and something we were forced to do.

chrismartinez.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
No problem at all, i understand and that all makes sense.

Thanks once again to you both for getting back to my question so quickly

ReyMorlu

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:30:23 AM »
Then we're not cosider "innocent until proven guilty" we are robots until post more than ten...! ;D
That makes me feel insulted and sick, but nowadays Honor of people do not have sense anymore, isn't it?  :-X
My father's dream was living to see the new technocratic millennium... he was lucky dying in 1997! LOL

Dr.Jones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Victor Jones Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »
Just what i was looking for, thanks.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III + Canon EOS 5D Mark II + Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT *2 + ST-E3 + Canon EF 17-40 f/4L + Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 USM II + Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
Me, too.  Thanks!
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

Weggy

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:41:09 AM »
Me too. Is this written anywhere? Given that plenty of people seem to be have been confused by this maybe there should be a message somewhere during the set up process.

Dr.Jones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Victor Jones Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 06:07:59 AM »
Me too. Is this written anywhere? Given that plenty of people seem to be have been confused by this maybe there should be a message somewhere during the set up process.

I think not! I guess CR haven't thought about, "telling people"(meaning new users) that this function was disabled, since it has no greater meaning for the site, its just a "add-on" so to say. Eventually people who would like/need this feature would figure it out. And the non serious users wont, but it wont matter cause they probably wont continue to use the site anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:10:47 AM by Dr.Jones »
Canon EOS 5D Mark III + Canon EOS 5D Mark II + Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT *2 + ST-E3 + Canon EF 17-40 f/4L + Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 USM II + Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II

chrismartinez.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »
I don't feel so stupid now i hear pother people have the same question  :) ...hopefully people searching the forums in future for advise on creating a signature will find this thread

d3smo

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:47:26 AM »
Do you know how many posts are needed to have the signature option available ?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:04:58 AM by d3smo »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
I think there is a good reason why they decide on a case by case basis when to lift the restriction, having a automatic change after x posts will just let spammers modify their posting software to make that many posts.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »
I think there is a good reason why they decide on a case by case basis when to lift the restriction, having a automatic change after x posts will just let spammers modify their posting software to make that many posts.

Kinda like the holga thread? ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »

Kinda like the holga thread? ;D

You don't get it!  The spammers adding those advertising signatures by the thousands turn CR into a link farm.  this creates a risk that Google and other search engines would ban CR, since the purpose is to fool the search engines into believing a particular site is popular and raising its rank in the searches. 

Unpaid volunteer CR moderators have to search thru thousands of posts to find and remove the signatures that are bogus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »