April 20, 2014, 10:56:01 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Frustrated Focusing problem  (Read 8139 times)

JohnFrancis

5D Mark III Frustrated Focusing problem
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I am rather frustrated with some of the shots I am getting, in particular when I have two subjects I want to get in focus, but the one closest to the camera only comes in focus?
Also what is a good setting for getting the whole frame in focus, I have only been get certain parts of an image in focus when I want to get everything in focus?
Please help
Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Frustrated Focusing problem
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Frustrated Focusing problem
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
Sounds to me like you're using too wide an aperture, meaning too shallow a depth of field.  Recommended reading: Byran Peterson's Perfect Exposure.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:06:17 PM »
I am rather frustrated with some of the shots I am getting, in particular when I have two subjects I want to get in focus, but the one closest to the camera only comes in focus?
Also what is a good setting for getting the whole frame in focus, I have only been get certain parts of an image in focus when I want to get everything in focus?
Please help
Thanks
Sounds like you are new to DSLR photography. I suggest you go through the videos at dslrtips.com/workshops (especailly "How to photograph landscapes with lots in focus") or just go to youtube and search for DSLR tutorials or Brian Peterson like neuroanatomist suggested.
Some people here think that if you can afford to buy an expensive DSLR you cannot ask beginner questions ... but nothing wrong with asking questions that to some might look stupid than to remian stupid.
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
When you get into FF sensors, you will get a much shallower depth of field than with a small sensor camera.  With a point and shoot camera, for example, almost everything tends to be in focus.  That makes them easy to use and get sharp in-focus shots.
With a FF DSLR, photographers use the ability to have a shallow depth of field to isolate a subject and have things in the background be out of focus.
However, there are times when you want as much as possible to be in focus, landscapes, or groups of people.  In cases like this, you must use small apertures, f/8, f/11, even f/16.
Setup your camera and take several shots focusing on something fairly close with a few different apertures and you will see the difference in background focus.
Then, step back a ways and do the same thing.  Notice that the depth of field is greater when you are back from your subject.
Use a combination of these techniques to control what is in focus.

M.ST

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:45:59 AM »
It don´t sounds like an focussing issue.

It seems to be a problem with the depth of field.

Select a small aperture (big aperture number) from f/8 to f/16 to solve the problem or change the distance to the subjects.

Remember:
Everyone can shot a image with a compact camera or APS-C-DSLR and all is in focus. If you use a FF camera you have the benefit to select subjects that are in focus. I recommend to all newbies in photography: don´t buy a FF camera if you don´t have the skills to work with it and you want everytime everything in focus.

hawaiisunsetphoto

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:57:10 AM »
Sounds to me like you're using too wide an aperture, meaning too shallow a depth of field.  Recommended reading: Byran Peterson's Perfect Exposure.

The best book ever written ;)
1Dx, 5D Mark III, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2.0L, 200mm f/2.0L IS, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600EX RT (3), Einstein, Sony RX100 with Nauticam housing

dexstrose

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
In Byran Peterson's latest video, he cut off all is locks. I liked it better when he had the 80's hair do. Yes, that is a good read!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »

nwardrip

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:17:28 AM »
I assume you are all referring to Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure?

i.e. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355123291&sr=8-1&keywords=perfect+exposure+bryan+peterson

It does seem to be the defacto standard for beginning photographers.  As an experienced photographer, I found some things quite oversimplified and some things he said that don't matter really do matter in cameras like the 5D Mark III, if you're going for maximum quality (like choosing f/22 apertures).  Also, it won't tell you how to use the AF system of the 5D3, you'll want to read Canon's http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml.  You'll also want to search around for "5D Mark III af tutorial" on Google for more information.

All that said, you really should pick up a copy of Understanding Exposure and read it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:20:56 AM by nwardrip »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:38:56 AM »

Don't use all AF points at once, chose on and put it over the subject.

Please help
Thanks

stop down the aperture, try f/8 or more and don't focus too much towards the front of the scene

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:30 AM »
OP has deleted his account.  :o

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:17:14 AM »
We're cyber bullies  :(
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

Gothmoth

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:39 AM »
well i guess he is not trolling like some clowns here think.
but i guess you guys are experts in any field... from photography to quantum physics...  ::)

when someone comes from a P&S camera this question comes up naturally.

i have sold my share of DSLR cameras where the buyer comes back a few days later complainins that he don´t get everything in focus for his EBAY pictures.

they normaly say something like:

my 200$ point and shoot camera has everything in focus. now with this 2000$ camera everything is blurred 

and i have customers who never owned a camera and buy a 5D MK2 or now MK3.. so what?
because you are poor that´s not possible?   :P

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 05:38:39 AM »
Empathy notwithstanding, OP reminds me of the woman that bought a big Winnebago motorhome, put it on cruise control, left the wheel to make herself a sandwich (or something) and was surprised the unsupervised vehicle crashed. Even won her a big settlement, but I think a little common sense goes a long way.

If you blindly buy and things do not go as planned, there always is the chance that the fault lies with you; so you probably could expect the - very mild! - criticism in this topic. If you can't handle that, you probably really are spoiled rotten and deserving of disappointment. After all, you best learn through failure ;)

Unless, of course, it really was a troll. Proficient in more ways than one, in that case :D
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 05:38:39 AM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 05:40:53 AM »
and i have customers who never owned a camera and buy a 5D MK2 or now MK3.. so what?
because you are poor that´s not possible?   :P

I am absolutely in favor of lots of people buying expensive Canon gear, that way Canon makes great profit, their execs relax and marketing can be more lenient with cutting down features on less expensive gear, and Canon can do more r&d.

But a question like from the op is great if asked in a camera store where you just have spent a lot of $$$ and think you were ripped off by some clown because you were better off with a p&s. But in an internet forum questions w/o further specifications is strange and bordering on "My friend got a Nikon, the pictures are crisper, my Canon is all dull - what do you think?"

We're cyber bullies  :(

But actually it's gotten better, when I joined CR my impression that every other post was either answered with either "Begone, Nikon troll" or "Get a job, then you'll be able to afford decent gear and your problems will be over" :-o

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:06:38 AM »
I assume you are all referring to Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure?

Yes, sorry!  Although...Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure is also a good read (I have both, actually).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:06:38 AM »