November 27, 2014, 07:05:51 AM

Author Topic: 100-400mm lens on crop or FF body? & other help please on trip to Antarctica  (Read 2784 times)

Parmara007

Hi, I am putting together my upgraded camera kit for a trip to Antarctica and I have a 5D3 with 24-105 at the moment.

I feel this kit would be suitable: -

1. 5D3 with either Zeiss 21mm f2.8 OR Zeiss 18mm f3.5 OR PUSH IT TO Canon 14mm f2.8 ii ?
2. 100-400mm - maybe use a 7D for focal length?

Any thoughts at all from experienced people, especially Antarctica travellers/cold weather travellers but everyone's welcome  :)

Thanks in advance.

Amit
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:13:31 PM by Parmara007 »

canon rumors FORUM

PackLight

Never been to Antartica but have the 14mm. Have you used the 14mm II on the 5D III before? It wouldn't be bad to have with you at all, but if you haven't played with a lens this wide I would get one and shoot a bit with it so you know what to expect. I would take the Zeiss 21mm first over all suggested.

On a trip this expensive if I didn't have the gear I wanted I would rent it and make sure I had insurance coverage.

Parmara007

Never been to Antartica but have the 14mm. Have you used the 14mm II on the 5D III before? It wouldn't be bad to have with you at all, but if you haven't played with a lens this wide I would get one and shoot a bit with it so you know what to expect. I would take the Zeiss 21mm first over all suggested.

On a trip this expensive if I didn't have the gear I wanted I would rent it and make sure I had insurance coverage.

I'm not going for about a year but I guess renting one out before buying would be prudent. I've never used a wide angle lens before.

PackLight

I'm not going for about a year but I guess renting one out before buying would be prudent. I've never used a wide angle lens before.

Around 20mm you start seeing distortion, and by 14mm it is very extreme. It is fun to play with the lens and see what you can get out of it, I consider it a specialty lens.

rj79in

Around 20mm you start seeing distortion, and by 14mm it is very extreme. It is fun to play with the lens and see what you can get out of it, I consider it a specialty lens.

+1

Using the 14mm is really cool for "getting it all" but it is very difficult to come up with a compelling shot with it unless you have sufficient practice using it. Also, it you are going in the Antartic "summers" it will be difficult to keep the sun out of the frame with the 14mm ... Something to think about!

Also, the 100-400 works great on both bodies but with a 1.4 extender you can get extra focal length with autofocus on the 5d3 come April.

Guess we've been through the IQ comparison of the extra focal length using the 7D but personally I like the shots I get with the 5d3 over the 7d using the 100-400.

lintoni

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
I should imagine that polarising filter(s) will be essential!
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

leecheeyee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
good bless for your  Antarctica trip! Share your photo in our CR.

canon rumors FORUM

kukhuvud

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Shot By Norm
I should imagine that polarising filter(s) will be essential!

+1, the sun will be out all the time!
Bodies: 5D III, 7D
Glass: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM

Andreas

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
The 100-400 is great for Antarctica for wildlive where you cant get too close like leopard seals, penguins and birds. Extender might be usefull but take into account that you are on a boat and a tripod/monopod does not work well due to engine vibrations, so everything is handhold basically. An albatross fly-by is easier handhold...but you might carry also some wide angle lens with you for landscapes which are simply beautiful. Polarizer and lots of memory cards (I took in 7 weeks 6000 shots) to store and backup your images..laptop en external harddrive is not a bad idea.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Personally, I'd rent or buy a 1 Series camera with weatherproofing and stick to weather proofed lenses.  You might take the 5D MK III as a backup, you will definitely want a backup, because things do fail in tough conditions.
That makes it a bit difficult at the 400mm end, perhaps a 70-200mmL along with weatherproofed Canon TC's and a 1D X.

canon rumors FORUM