October 21, 2014, 01:57:54 AM

Poll

Did you use a UV filter on EF 70-200 f2.8L IS (vI or vII) during its last use?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Did you use a UV filter on 70-200 f2.8L IS (I or II) during its last use? (Poll)  (Read 15047 times)

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
The question is phrased with few options on purpose. Did you use a UV/haze protective filter on your EF 70-200 f2.8L IS (I or II) during its most recent use?

The aim here is to assess filter use among a narrowly defined group. I have avoided asking do you "generally" use filters as this can lead to subjective "calibration" of the response to suit attitudes that are deeply held but not practiced.

Because ultimately, actions speak louder than well thought out intentions. We all know the usual arguments for and against using UV filters that proponents use to support claims. Some fall back on specific lenses, where IQ may suffer vs. need to protect the front element, and needing it to complete weather sealing etc etc...it is frequently a slew of compromise explanations.

Let us try and gauge what we actually do in practice by taking a lens owned by good many, granted not all; and of 'relatively' decent $ value; with consensus on high IQ (that could arguably be degraded by a haze filter). To increase the sample size, either of the 2.8L IS versions are ok. This lens choice also hopefully ensures we aren't sampling exorbitant superteles or the lower price range lenses; but, something narrowly defined, commonly possessed, yet valuable.

In voting, please let only your actions speak. No "oh I could have" or "oh I wish I had" answers... No fudging...simple question: did you have it on during its most recent use?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:42:23 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
The question is phrased with few options on purpose. Did you use a UV/haze protective filter on 28-700 f2.8L IS (I or II) during its most recent use?

The aim here is to assess filter use among a narrowly defined group. I have avoided asking do you "generally" use filters as this can lead to subjective "calibration" of the response to suit attitudes that are deeply held but not practiced.

Because ultimately, actions speak louder than well thought out intentions. We all know the usual arguments for and against using UV filters that proponents use to support claims. Some fall back on specific lenses, where IQ may suffer vs. need to protect the front element, and needing it to complete weather sealing etc etc...it is frequently a slew of compromise explanations.

Let us try and gauge what we actually do in practice by taking a lens owned by good many, granted not all; and of 'relatively' decent $ value; with consensus on high IQ (that could arguably be degraded by a haze filter). To increase the sample size, either of the 2.8L IS versions are ok. This lens choice also hopefully ensures we aren't sampling exorbitant superteles or the lower price range lenses; but, something narrowly defined, commonly possessed, yet valuable.

In voting, please let only your actions speak. No "oh I could have" or "oh I wish I had" answers... No fudging...simple question: did you have it on during its most recent use?

Did you mean the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS?
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Did you mean the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS?

Yes, else I think we may lose the relatively narrow sampling. I will edit title to include "EF".
Edit. And I didn't even catch the typo in the initial response here. Yikes. :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:55:34 PM by Ray2021 »

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
28-700?  Where can I find this lens?

Are you looking only for UV protective filters or UV and clear protective filters?
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot G16, S100

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
28-700?  Where can I find this lens?

Are you looking only for UV protective filters or UV and clear protective filters?

Corrected now  :)
For the purpose of this poll any "protective" filters... Being more specific will produce too small an 'n'.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:57:23 PM by Ray2021 »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Neither that lens, or any other, for that matter unless ambient conditions make it a good idea, like a sand or dust storm.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Neither that lens, or any other, for that matter unless ambient conditions make it a good idea, like a sand or dust storm.

Or Alec Baldwin comin at ya swinging...but then it may not help much  :D

canon rumors FORUM

helpful

• EOS M2
  • Ecclesiastes 3:11
    • View Profile

+1
5DIII, 5DII, 7D x5, 6D, T2i, T3, 1D X, 10-22mm, 16-35mm II, 18-55mm II, 18-135mm IS x2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm 1/1.8 II x2, 85mm f/1.8 x2, 100mm f/2 x2, 135mm f/2L x2, 200mm f/2.8L II x2, 1.4X III, 2.0X II, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, etc. only had room to list a few Canon items

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
I have a Hoya HD1 UV Filter on there for protection.  For my 24-70 II, I purchased a Hoya HD1 Clear Protecter instead of a UV Filter
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
YES. I use a B&W 77mm 010 UV Haze MRC Brass Ring. Always attached to my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II.  The lens cost me $2400. I am protecting it!
All I know is ...every time I shoot with it and pull the images up on screen from my 5D III...I say
.."This photo is so sharp, I can't believe this is a f*#king zoom lens!!!!!"  ....so I am protecting the lens and getting great images. You bareback riders that scratch your lenses ....so sorry. (BTW..I never said that when I owned version I of the lens...and it was the lens..not the filter).
I have B&W filters on all of my lenses...my lenses all cost a LOT OF MONEY..but I will occasionally take the the filter off of a wide angle to shoot as I think that at extreme angles of view the filter can cut down sharpness...I should do a test some day....but I doubt that I could truly tell the difference.  For normal and tele lenses...I know I can tell no difference between high-grade filter and no filter. IMHO it is just academic for me. ...but everyone has their own opinion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:05:29 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Even on my Expensive L Primes, I use the Top of the line B&W MRC Nano XS-Pro UV filters. Its simply superb.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Even on my Expensive L Primes, I use the Top of the line B&W MRC Nano XS-Pro UV filters. Its simply superb.

I don't use them much myself ... but I know many do and swear by it. Is this because you feel there is no perceptible change whatsoever in high-performing lenses or you have made your peace with the potential trade off for possible protection? And, I did say "potential" trade-off.  :)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

I don't use them much myself ... but I know many do and swear by it. Is this because you feel there is no perceptible change whatsoever in high-performing lenses or you have made your peace with the potential trade off for possible protection? And, I did say "potential" trade-off.  :)

I want to protect my front element from cleaning, scratching, chemicals, abrasives, small meteorites from space or anything else from touching it. A UV filter already saved my 24L II once and will continue to use them.

I cannot distinguish IQ loss from the filter, B&ws are that good.

canon rumors FORUM

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Does the 70-200 II vignette with the F-Pro at the widest setting?
I remember Neuro saying something like that, but can't remember for sure  :-\
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Does the 70-200 II vignette with the F-Pro at the widest setting?
I remember Neuro saying something like that, but can't remember for sure  :-\

Actually, I didn't test at 70mm, only at 100mm.  But there, the F-Pro did cause a slight increase in optical vignetting (there's some natively, of course).  I switched to an XS-Pro for that lens.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM