September 01, 2014, 11:38:07 AM

Poll

Did you use a UV filter on EF 70-200 f2.8L IS (vI or vII) during its last use?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Did you use a UV filter on 70-200 f2.8L IS (I or II) during its last use? (Poll)  (Read 14316 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Because I love cling wrap.  I put it on my camera lenses, on my microscope objectives at work costing far more than the 600 II, on my sunglasses, on the windshield of my car and on the windows of my house. I just can't get enough of it. I'm thinking of wrapping my whole house in cling wrap, and then maybe my cat.  Meow.

And because I'm honestly afraid that you still might not get it, the whole line of discussion around cling wrap, starting from where the sardine sandwiches didn't turn green, is satire.

Yuk it up, these are the jokes.  ;)

Ahh, satire, jokes. Guess I just didn't find it at all funny. My bad. ;-)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
unless you are crazy, or have money to burn, or are extremely careful, this 2k+ lens should have a filter in front of that front element.
Whether you want to act like a purist, or dont like filters for whatever reason (yawn), i cant see a good reason why it shouldn tbe there. Well, if yer not cheap about it anyways.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
FWIW, the UV filter (I'm on my third one now) has saved the front lens on my 70-200 f2.8L IS twice.
what happened?...

The first time was a spot of something that deposited and solidified - I'm not sure what it was but when I tried to clean it off it took off the coating on the UV filter.
The second was when I dropped it (things DO happen). The corner of the filter took the brunt of the impact and cracked the glass. The threads and barrel of the lens were OK.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
No, the whole point of cling wrap is that it's thinner than any filter and helps with the weather sealing.  Also, I used to gel my flash, but with the new colored cling wraps, I can get that effect across the whole picture, and that's a lot easier than just adjusting the hue in post.

Even more important, my US$13,000 600/4 II can't even take a front filter. How lame is that?!?  Fortunately, cling wrap works just fine.

Thanks. Interesting. There seems to be a lot of difference between what happens in the US and what happens in the Far East, at least at pro journo level. I am in numerous press conferences every week, major sporting events frequently and have never seen anyone use cling film (or wrap as you call it). Mind you, I have never seen coloured cling film either. Live and learn.

And, why would you want a filter on your 600/4? The lens hood is big enough as it is.

Because I love cling wrap.  I put it on my camera lenses, on my microscope objectives at work costing far more than the 600 II, on my sunglasses, on the windshield of my car and on the windows of my house. I just can't get enough of it. I'm thinking of wrapping my whole house in cling wrap, and then maybe my cat.  Meow.

And because I'm honestly afraid that you still might not get it, the whole line of discussion around cling wrap, starting from where the sardine sandwiches didn't turn green, is satire.

Yuk it up, these are the jokes.  ;)
May be mandatory use of <sarcasm/> or <satire/> or plain <humour/> is in order ;)

Oh, I voted no as now I have no filters permanently fitted on my lenses. Earlier I had and I can see the ones I used did cause degradation of the image. Some time soon (or later) I will look into getting some good filters...

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Voted yes but it's not a uv filter but a clear filter. No need for uv filter (cuts off light unnecessarily) as the sensor has a uv coating, and a good clear filter does not affect IQ. I'm using B+W xs-pro clear MRC filter on all my lenses.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Voted yes but it's not a uv filter but a clear filter. No need for uv filter (cuts off light unnecessarily) as the sensor has a uv coating, and a good clear filter does not affect IQ. I'm using B+W xs-pro clear MRC filter on all my lenses.

A UV filter doesn't cut off any light which the sensor can detect - as you state, a dSLR is basically insensitive to UV. A multicoated UV and clear filter from the same maker will have the same visible light transmittance (usually ~99%). For a dSLR, there is no difference between UV and clear in terms of optics.  So...pick whichever is cheaper at your chosen source (it varies by country and seller).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

scrup

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Free Hosting
It comes to personal choice but wow lots of people on this forum use filters as protection.

Lets put this into perspective.

For the ones that have it permanently on do you guys buy the paint protection for your brand new car as well?
How about eye protection when you go out of your house. After all your eyes are more important than any L lens.

This reminds me of some old timers that would bubble wrap their TV remote control so it wouldn't get damaged.
The most infuriating thing for me is filters on the 18-55mm efs kit lens. Who here would seriously recommend for someone to use a filter on this lens?

Some other interesting reads.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157630037025174/
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
This reminds me of some old timers that would bubble wrap their TV remote control so it wouldn't get damaged.

Hmmmm...I wonder if bubble wrap would work better than cling wrap?   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
It comes to personal choice but wow lots of people on this forum use filters as protection.

For the ones that have it permanently on do you guys buy the paint protection for your brand new car as well?
How about eye protection when you go out of your house. After all your eyes are more important than any L lens.

The most infuriating thing for me is filters on the 18-55mm efs kit lens. Who here would seriously recommend for someone to use a filter on this lens?

If the protection provided has the same level of protection as the filters I use, I wouldn't mind a clear, in discernible force field around my car.  ;D

bdunbar79

• View Profile

The fact that people using filters as protection bothers you?  That concerns me more than anything.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile

I think it certainly would provide better bokeh ;)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile

That's another technique I use often. It works like a compound eye and apart from an increased angle of view I find sometimes I can detect the light polarisation and later post-process, instead of carrying around an expensive CP that of course also loses some stops of light.

ellenoir

The last time i didn't use filter on my 70-200, the front lens scratched when put it in 70-200 case. So badly. so, i choose to wear a protective glass.

canon rumors FORUM

scrup

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Free Hosting

The fact that people using filters as protection bothers you?  That concerns me more than anything.

I don't like sales people recommending filters for efs kit lenses as everyday protection. Cheap filters degrade quality and I learnt first hand when i got my 40D a few years ago.

There are hazardous situations that you will need protection which is fair enough but i don't think most of us here shoot in those conditions day in day out.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
The last time i didn't use filter on my 70-200, the front lens scratched when put it in 70-200 case. So badly. so, i choose to wear a protective glass.
Cap it before you bag it. Otherwise filter it...

canon rumors FORUM