April 25, 2014, 02:06:53 AM

Author Topic: Possibility to recover overwritten images on harddisk?  (Read 11566 times)

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Possibility to recover overwritten images on harddisk?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
I bought myself a Ready NAS, Which runs in X-Raid2 because both of my hdd´s were erased like if you get it new and don´t know why, I restored als my data transferred it to the Nas wher one Hdd mirrors the other

This tread is very old, but before anyone believes that using nas/raid for data safety: It does protect you from *hardware* failure, but it doesn't from *software* or *user* error. If you accidentally erase some folders of files (most common disaster cause) a raid setup won't protect you, only an independent backup will. So raid is for high availability, but not necessarily for data safety.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »

kaihp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 01:31:09 AM »
I bought myself a Ready NAS, Which runs in X-Raid2 because both of my hdd´s were erased like if you get it new and don´t know why, I restored als my data transferred it to the Nas wher one Hdd mirrors the other

This tread is very old, but before anyone believes that using nas/raid for data safety: It does protect you from *hardware* failure, but it doesn't from *software* or *user* error. If you accidentally erase some folders of files (most common disaster cause) a raid setup won't protect you, only an independent backup will. So raid is for high availability, but not necessarily for data safety.
Agreed.

Repeat after me: having a RAID disk is not a replacement for making backups! They're really orthogonal issues.

WillThompson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 01:42:08 AM »
It is possible to recover the overwritten files.

NO! It is not possible to recover overwritten files!  This is fact! You can restore them from a backup only!  What you can recover are files where the file allocation table hase been overwritten, erased, deleted, or corrupted but the actual file data has not been changed.  The best example of this is when the file has been deleted.

Will T.
Will T.

markwilliams279

• PowerShot G16
  • Photography
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 11:44:19 PM »
It is not possible to recover the overwritten images from the Hard disk.

Mark Williams

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
Overwritten can mean:
new files taking their places, so they are gone.
or:
only "this place is free and usable"
then you have a chance.
(You never now if the new files are on the same place physically....)

Anyway: when youre not sure, let one of the recommended porgrams look for them.

Good luck!

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 02:06:45 AM »
I have experience with recovering lost files and "overwritten" is basically the dead-sentence for your files.
What you saw is information from the file system (sometimes referred to as "slack space") that was not yet overwritten (as it is in a different location on the disk than the actual file data).
You can employ a professional company to try to recover your data. I have heard things about magnetic properties of disks that allow you to recover data after it is written over (not numerous times) but you are in the forensic territory there, sorry to say.

As Paul points out, lost files where the directory structure is overwritten is recoverable.  If the data is overwritten, unless you are willing to go into the area CIA and FBI advanced data recovery, forget it.  Once the data itself is overwritten, you are unfortunately SOL.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »

Agreed.

Repeat after me: having a RAID disk is not a replacement for making backups! They're really orthogonal issues.

Yea - you want to protect yourself from hard failure (raid can do that to a degree), user stupidity (independent backups help here, though nothing helps against true stupidity), and site loss (need to keep independent backups up to date and off site).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »