August 27, 2014, 05:12:03 AM

Author Topic: black focus points on 5Dmkiii  (Read 2248 times)

speirsphoto

black focus points on 5Dmkiii
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »
Also are most photographers of the opinion that the focus points on the 5Dmkiii being black when activated is a major difficulty in low light or is it not such a major problem.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: black focus points on 5Dmkiii
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »
Its a combination of the AF points being black and being tiny with thin lines.  The 7D is similar, but has large AF points with thick lines and its not a issue. There are some klutzy workarounds that light up the points briefly, but its probably the weakest issue the camera has, and it is only a issue in near darkness.

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »
I wish they were red.  I just got home from Washington, D.C., where I spent several nights out and about shooting monuments and buildings. The black point made it more difficult in certain situations.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

Kumakun

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:18:39 AM »
I love my 5DIII, but yeah--the AF points can be hard to see in low light.  I've been doing quite a bit of stuff at night recently, and I wish they could work out a solution like they did for the 1DX.  In most cases it isn't too much of an issue. but in situations where you are moving the AF points around it can make life a little more challenging.  Doesn't dent my enthusiasm for the camera; and I guess the fact that I can shoot in situations where it is dark enough to make this an issue shows how well it does at high ISOs.  So...

Wish the AF points had a red / blinky / low light "option," but not crying about it anyway.  (HOWEVER--I suspect someone shooting very "active" situations in the dark might find this to be a more serious concern...  I remember another thread a while back in which some guy was shooting dancers in a dark theater.  For his purpose, the dark AF points might be more of a concern).

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:22:02 AM »
black points is 1 of the reason im thinking of 1dx... but $$$$

Zlatko

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:46 AM »
It's a minor issue for me in low light.  I set the camera to only use 9 AF points anyway and would do this even if the problem didn't exist.  When set to 9 points, there is just the right combination of simplicity and functionality, and all are cross-type.  I can always touch the AF point selector button with my thumb to light up the active point.  If shooting in a very active situation, set it to the center and leave it there.

speirsphoto

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:06:58 AM »
Thanks so much everyone for your input, it's very much appreciated. I think it will be less than ideal but I only shoot weddings & I think in general it won't be too stressful or frustrating & the good points of the 5Dmkiii will more than compensate. Thankyou all again 4ur assistance : ) Cheers Pete