September 01, 2014, 03:55:01 AM

Author Topic: Purple Bars On Top of Letter Box Bars Appearing in Live View Mode on 5D Mark III  (Read 2720 times)

etxiong

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
I am not sure if this is an issue.  I arrived in my hotel room last night from the airport, took out the camera, go to live view, and took a shot of the room.  I don't recall these bars being there before, just the black borders on the top and bottom when in live view.  When I uploaded the pictures into Lightroom, the bars disappeared.  I played a sample video recorded and the bars don't seem to be there.  No bars if I take a picture in the room and don't use live view.  I have a 5D Mark III and have 70-200mm f4 L IS and 24-105mm f4 L.  Both lens have these bars.  Any help is greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

P.S. I have not tried using my camera in different lighting condition (i.e. outside) because I'm in a meeting all day long today.

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Is the aspect ratio set to 16:9? Check Shooting menu 4 > Aspect ratio.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

etxiong

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
The aspect ratio is 3:2, I've tried changing it to others and it didn't help.  Thanks.

etxiong

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
If someone with a 5D Mark III can just turn on their camera and put in live view to see if they see these bars...thanks.  I just bought it (it's a little over a month) so I'm just paranoid.  Thanks.

MrBeavis5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
My 5D iii has these bars bars also. Your camera is fine.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
I could not see any bars on my 5D MK III no matter what I tried.  I switched to 16:9 and other aspect ratios.
My first thought is that there might be some radio interferrence, so I held mine close to my Wifi transmitter, and did see a slight barber pole for just a instant, but could not get it again.
There may be some cameras that do this, I'd exchange it for another.

MrBeavis5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Great! Now I'm worried.

canon rumors FORUM

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
There is no problem with your camera.  You see the bars when the camera is on, in live view AND the lens is covered. Remove the lens cap and you'll see it disappear.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Menu C.Fn 2 > LV shooting area display > set to Outlined. This'll get you blue lines if you set your aspect ratio to something else than 3:2. Getting them with 3:2 (and " I played a sample video recorded") suggests that you engage live view by entering movie mode, when the camera selects a movie aspect ratio regardless of image settings.

Anyhoo, this is normal behaviour that is achieved by a combination of various settings. Exposing your precious to strong electromagnetic fields to reproduce the blue lines might prove counterproductive :)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
You're not in Live View mode, you are in Movie Mode. It's showing you the movie crop.

If you want to go to Live view just press the live view button. You don't have to flip the switch.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
You're not in Live View mode, you are in Movie Mode. It's showing you the movie crop.

If you want to go to Live view just press the live view button. You don't have to flip the switch.
Yup. That is what happens. I confirmed it with my camera.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
I don't see it in live view or movie mode with my camera at 16:9.  The lighting or lens cap does not change it, just a black area at the top and bottom.  I wonder if some additional setting is involved.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

Yep, picture reveals that pretty clearly

canon rumors FORUM

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
It looks like you in Movie mode. Switch back to Live View.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:40:10 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

etxiong

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for your prompt replies.  I feel much better now.  Thanks again.

canon rumors FORUM