I'm planning my next purchase and I got confused after reading way too many reviews, so I though it would be best to ask you guys
I own a 60D with only one lens- the 40mm 2.8, and I think it's time for me to get a new one.
The 40mm is pretty awesome lens for its price, and it's so lightweight that you can carry it all day long, however, I found the focal length a bit too long when mounted on a crop sensor for everyday shots and as a walk-around lens, and it will probably be my backup lens.
Worth to mention that for me, photography is a hobby, and I'm not a pro.
I shoot all kind of styles - from street photography to landscapes and portraits (both in daylight and in lowlight environment)
I though about a versatile lens, something that will allow me to use wide angle to somewhat telephoto.
I thought about one of these lenses:
- EF 17-40mm f/4L USM - Because I like the wide angle ( and I don't think the 17-35 justify the price tag)
- EF 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM - Looks like a very good range coverage, but I lose some of the wide angle.
- EF 24-70mm f/4.0L - Looks good on the paper, but It's still not available, and I have an opportunity to purchase a lens now.
My budget is around 1200$ (give or take ~100\200$)
What would you get? are there any non-L lens that might be worth checking out? (I think I will upgrade to FF in the future, so I don't want to invest in EF-S lens.
Thanks for any assistance
Out of your 3 choices, 24-105 f/4 L IS is without a doubt the most versatile lens .... also it is within your allocated budget along with a good quality filter or two (UV or ND or Circular Polarizing filter).
The 24-70 f/4 L IS is new and will cost more than your budgeted amount.
The 17-40 f/4 L is a great lens and well within your budget but very limited zoom range ... I take a lot of group photos and the 24 mm on 17-40 (even on 60D & 7D) had barrel distrotion which I did not like ... so I sold mine to get the 16-35 f/2.8 L (which also has barrel distortion at 24mm on 60D & 7D)
In 2010 I had decided to go full frame and kept bulidling my small collection of EF lenses, at that time I only 7D & 60D ... although I had the 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens I preffered to exclusively use 24-105, on my 60D & 7D, for the following reasons:
1. No barrell distortion, even at 24mm on 60D & 7D
2. Very sharp group photos & landscape photos etc
3. Amazing "star effect" on street lights at narrow apertures
4. Excellent zoom range ... my entire England, Scotland vacation was shot only with 24-105 and I never missed a shot ... IS was awesome, never had a blurry shot even while taking pictures from the Big Bus (tour bus) on the move.
5. It looked sexy on 60D and even more sexier 7D
... it still looks sexy on my 5D MK III.
90% of all the photos I had made with 60D & 7D were while using 24-105 f/4 L IS lens.
Unlike the EF-S lenses, the EF L lenses come with a lens hood.
Even when you do go full frame in the future, you will most likely find this lens on the camera most of the time due to its versatility.
You may also want to consider Dylan777's excellent suggestion i.e. Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC ... great bang for the buck, low light capability and is full frame compatible.