April 20, 2014, 03:47:21 PM

Author Topic: Transit of Mercury - Hydrogen Alpha  (Read 4509 times)

GuyF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Transit of Mercury - Hydrogen Alpha
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »
the more I thought it looked a bit like the surface of the sun and the bubble suddenly became "Transit of Mercury".

I think you are the only one who thinks that ::)
Peace

Hmmm, I seemed to initially "fool" Lilmsmaggie (it wasn't my intention to trick anyone, merely an image that reminded me of some astro pics - http://astronomy-guide.blogspot.co.uk/2010_08_01_archive.html).
Interpreting an abstract image is all in the mind of the viewer. If people don't "see" what the artist (for want of a better word) sees then does it really matter? It was just a bit of fun.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
the more I thought it looked a bit like the surface of the sun and the bubble suddenly became "Transit of Mercury".

I think you are the only one who thinks that ::)
Peace

Hmmm, I seemed to initially "fool" Lilmsmaggie (it wasn't my intention to trick anyone, merely an image that reminded me of some astro pics - http://astronomy-guide.blogspot.co.uk/2010_08_01_archive.html).
Interpreting an abstract image is all in the mind of the viewer. If people don't "see" what the artist (for want of a better word) sees then does it really matter? It was just a bit of fun.

I did not mean to imply that you were trying to "tick anyone" ... but I agree with you about what the artist sees, as long as you find inspiration or it speaks to you or makes sense to you, it does not matter what others think. Regards
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
It's probably easier to produce compelling "astro" images from close up abstracts of something else like strawberry jam, than it is to do the real thing.  A LOT less costly, as well...Did anyone not try to save the image and see if any exif data showed?  Perhaps there was none.  But if there is, it should show a 100mm lens was used, in which case you would have to look closer to earth for an explanation of what the shot portrays.

Certainly art is in the eye of the beholder, but I wonder what would have happened if GuyF had tried to sell prints of the image (or even just digital copies) and pass it off as a real astro pic?  Assuming there would be buyers, of course...I presume it wouldn't have taken long for someone to debunk it.

It also seems he was trying to provoke Nikon lurkers just a wee bit...hahaha...I can imagine them immediately going out on a sunny day to try to capture a planetary transit with magical "universe shine" on the shaded side, which is somehow comparable to the sun's relative close-proximity light output...hahahahaha!!!  Fried eyeballs and big melted black lenses might result, but no "universe shine" :-D...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »